Grave problem with XP SP3

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Goloki, May 18, 2008.

May 18, 2008

Grave problem with XP SP3 by Goloki at 3:19 PM (1,195 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Goloki
    OP

Member Goloki GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    OK, people, I'll give you all the details, so you know my situation as accurately as possible.

Some days ago I started having problems with my computer -- FireFox didn't load Google nor any other search engine. I uninstalled it several times, tried using SuperAntiSpyware and Ad-Aware to no avail at all (the same for NOD32 and BitDefender for virus)... Finally, I installed XP SP3 and, somehow, FireFox started behaving properly again.
    Some time after that, my whole computer starting falling on me: it froze out of the blue -- so I had to force a manual restart --, my monitor shut down... It started to get me on my nerves, so I finally decided to format and install everything again.
    You see, I have a Compaq system with an original copy of XP Home OEM. Yesterday, after everything was finally installed, I was installing drivers and all that... when it froze again. And now, just a couple minutes ago, it froze once again.

I'm starting to think that there's something really messed up with my PC, not the OS, but the hardware... so if you could give me hand and tell me what might be wrong, I'll be really greatful. I'm still running XP SP3 Home Edition OEM in the same Compaq PC, BTW.

Thanks in advance.

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i've heard the service pack 3 is buggy as hell, you shouldn't have installed it.

3. Akotan

Member Akotan Mathematical!

Brazil
    Call 911! [​IMG]

Kidding: take your PC to authorized Compaq (HP?) assistance right now.

Windows XP SP3 is working fine for me, an custom build PC owner...

4. drake7707

Newcomer drake7707 Member

Belgium
    if you have a hp/compaq and you have an amd chip, you'll have to update your cpu drivers. It's hp's fault for using intel drivers in their oem preinstalled windows everywhere that gives problems in sp3.

5. Goloki
    OP

Spain
    Well, I can't take it to Compaq's Tech Service because I've run out of warranty... and I don't want to pay if I can solve it myself [​IMG]
    I've read about this HP/Compaq problem... Could you elaborate more on these SP3 problems? I thought it was actually quite good, but now... dunno.

PS: BTW, I'm running an Intel PIV HT, not an AMD-based PC...

6. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Yeah, I heard SP3 has problems with machines that have AMD parts in them.

7. Goloki
    OP

Spain
    So far, so good. I've uninstalled SP3 and I've had no lockups yet. To be honest, I had no lockups yesterday either, with SP3 still installed, but just to be on the safe side and rule SP3 as the cause of said freezes, I got rid of it. I've only had one shut down with my monitor, but I rolled back to nVidia's 163 drivers (I was using 175) and, so far, nothing has gone wrong.
    I think I may have found the solution to this problem, although I'm still pissed I cannot install the latest update for my OS. If my PC gets frozen again, I'll install it again, as it's obviously not the reason behind them [​IMG]

8. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

I've had nothing go wrong since I updated to SP3.

I've not heard that its buggy but I've heard of some problems with it.

9. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    You probably just jinxed yourself there.

At any rate, I hear more often than not that people have been having nothing but problems with SP3 either when they firsted installed it or later down the road. Hard drive corruption for the win!

10. Goloki
    OP

Spain
    Well, it seems it was a video card's drivers problem. I got rid of SP3 and nVidia's 175 WQHL drivers. Went back to SP2 and 163. After some time with no freezes with SP2, I decided to update to SP3. No problems so far, after about 5 hours of testing. I could go wrong within the next minute, though xD