Hardware Graphics Card Question

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The HD 6790 and GT 550 are both mid-ranged cards, so they're not overly powerful cards. They will both be compatible with that motherboard. Judging by the fact that between the MoBo and the GFX you chose cost just over $200 together, I'm guessing you're aiming for a budget build for casual gaming/homework. Just make sure that you don't hold back on the PSU... I would guess you'd need to aim for at least a 500W PSU, or you could be in for trouble in the future.

EDIT: forgot to answer the original question. Whilst I don't have the benchmarks at hand (I'm typing from my iPad) I think the GT 550 is the stronger GFX card. The HD 6 series has been somewhat disappointing and nVidia have famously better drivers.
EDIT2: after rereading, I think you can disregard Raven's post this one time. I think he misread the links.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After looked at benchmarks for both cards, I'd say they'll have similar performance.
The Zotac 550 on newegg is probably a bit faster than the 6790, and it's about $5 more. (See here).
The decision as to whether you want nVidia or AMD comes down more to brand preference. Most die-hard gamers choose nVidia, as they traditionally have better drivers, as was stated above. Many others go with AMD for their overall value.

That motherboard should be perfectly fine with either card. It only has one 16 lane pci-express slot, so you can never crossfire or sli.
Hope that helps.

spleenandpie

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks guys
laugh.gif

also im just wondering if these cards will fit in this case?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811147153

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 6790 will indeed give you slightly more FPS on most games but in a comprehensive video review I found, Mafia 2 was unplayable on the 6790 and reaching decent FPS on the 550. The 6790 also has better I/O ports but if you're on a VGA cable, you're stuck on the 550.

Bottom line: 6790 is better if you're not playing Mafia 2, are using a DVI or HDMI output, & have a good PSU (requires 2 75-W ports + PCI power). The VGA output can only be found on the 550 and uses less power (requires 1 75-W port + PCI power).

The 6790 is slightly longer than the 550 but for that case it should fit fine.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
PeaceMJ said:
of course the ATi Radeon it is much better, I tried both ATi and Nvida
Funnily enough, so have I! Tell me, which AMD and nVidia graphics cards have you tried? And do you make full use out of the AMD drivers?

Btw, ATi no longer exist. It's just AMD now. From the HD 6 series onwards, all of their graphics cards will only have the AMD logo.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Again, short answer: yes.

Long answer: mid ranged cards don't need the long PCBs and huge heatsinks of high end graphics cards. For this reason, mid ranged graphics cards will fit in any ATX sized case, so long as there isn't a huge side fan getting in the way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs