Graphical Impact of Xbox 720 & PS4

Do you think the PS4 & Xbox 720 will live up to your expectations?

• Total voters

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'd imagine nex-gen graphics could have visuals just like some animation movies from some years ago, with the main difference they would be able to generate the graphics in real-time unlike animation studios where it takes a lot of time to render all the scenes

Tekken179

Trophies
XP
Country
Put it this way if those Dev consoles are out there atm with the specs that have been leaked, even if they are not the final hardware for the console I couldn't imagine them going much further than what they are aiming for as always they will be 2 steps behind PC or what the current technology market can provide for reasonable prices.

ReBirFh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There is one thing no one seems to talk much about - Development costs - this generation killed a lot of softhouses, the current gen games are so expensive that there isn't much room for failure or experiments and because of that I don't expect the next gen to be such a big improvement graphically not because of lack of technical resources but for lack of money to keep the game looking gorgeous while your company stays alive, there is a reason for all the "DLC" that in previous generations were unlocked through gameplay and now you have to pay for them.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is one thing no one seems to talk much about - Development costs - this generation killed a lot of softhouses, the current gen games are so expensive that there isn't much room for failure or experiments and because of that I don't expect the next gen to be such a big improvement graphically not because of lack of technical resources but for lack of money to keep the game looking gorgeous while your company stays alive, there is a reason for all the "DLC" that in previous generations were unlocked through gameplay and now you have to pay for them.

The game software/creative industries have always been brutal and it is not like the last few years have been noticeably different here. I do have serious issues with "games cost more to develop" as a concept as well, I will grant you that if you are going to fill every possible role then things get expensive but such a thing is hardly a requirement.

DLC as gameplay unlocks..... I recall trotting on down to game shops to buy expansion packs and addons. That is overlooking the DLC as stuff actually developed after the game went gold thing as well.

ReBirFh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The game software/creative industries have always been brutal and it is not like the last few years have been noticeably different here. I do have serious issues with "games cost more to develop" as a concept as well, I will grant you that if you are going to fill every possible role then things get expensive but such a thing is hardly a requirement.

DLC as gameplay unlocks..... I recall trotting on down to game shops to buy expansion packs and addons. That is overlooking the DLC as stuff actually developed after the game went gold thing as well.

Expansion Packs and addons were common in PC not in consoles (ok, they lacked the capability for that) but those expansion packs added significant content just as big or bigger than the main game and were released months/years after the first release, actually giving more lifetime to your game, I'm criticizing the ridiculous day 1 dlc, on disc dlc. Usually new stages, characters and costumes were rewards the player acquired through conquering the game.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fairly confident that the graphical jump in future consoles wont be as great as "hardcore gamers" like to think. Things are looking good now, if a little limited. The best we will see graphically is higher res textures and a cleaner picture. What will improve games at this point is better processors and more RAM, seriously. The amount of polygons on the screen is becoming less important.

I think that what will make a successful console is how open it is to indie developers, not AAA developers. It's becoming a duopoly there, slowly, but soon it will be ruled by EA and Activision. The indie crowd is where it's at.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Expansion Packs and addons were common in PC not in consoles (ok, they lacked the capability for that) but those expansion packs added significant content just as big or bigger than the main game and were released months/years after the first release, actually giving more lifetime to your game, I'm criticizing the ridiculous day 1 dlc, on disc dlc. Usually new stages, characters and costumes were rewards the player acquired through conquering the game.

Because current add ons don't?

Even then, how does rebuying a game for an add-on that "added significant content" make it better than just spending $10 extra on content that adds a decent amount? Like if you don't want to pay $15 for a map pack, don't. You can still play the game just fine. However if you want to pay $15 for a map pack because, god forbid, you really enjoy the multiplayer and you'll invest a lot of time into these new maps, then go ahead.

All these new stages, characters, and costumes are usually made after the game's development. Back in the day you had to rebuy a thousand versions of Street Fighter II. Now, well yeah you have to rebuy some Capcom fighters (like SSFIV vs SFIV) but stuff like Arcade Edition is now an optional add-on.

Reactions: TripleSMoon
D

Deleted_171835

I do have serious issues with "games cost more to develop" as a concept as well, I will grant you that if you are going to fill every possible role then things get expensive but such a thing is hardly a requirement.
If you want to be competitive against other AAA games, you don't have much of a choice. The natural motion shit, movie-style soundtracks, almost-real life visuals that are common in AAA games now ain't cheap. Multi-million dollar budgets are common with triple-A games and the cost will only increase with more powerful hardware.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
i think the ps4/x720 will be almost the same as ps3/x360 but rendered at 1080p, the current gen was supposed to render graphics at 1080p but actually are rendering at 720p maximum just to add massive postprocessing and antialias because the leap in power to 1080p with all thats effects is very large, anyways if ps4/x720 can render all those effects at 1080p@60hz then ill be satisfied. try comparing viewing a bluray with a 720p and a 1080p screen you will see the difference only if you see it side to side, thats the people is generally satisfied with current gen graphics, because is used to 720p renders.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1