Graphical corruption after WiiKey install

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by t0ad, Apr 1, 2007.

Apr 1, 2007
  1. t0ad
    OP

Newcomer t0ad Newbie

United States
    Hey all. After wrestling with my Wii for a couple hours, I finally managed to get all 6 wires soldered into place and the chip tucked away. Definitely not a pretty install as I'm a soldering noob, but it looks functional. Put it back together and brought it inside.. booted it up .. and.. I get random little flashing pixels on screen in the system menu. D'oh. I pop in the WiiKey setup disc and it fires right up and looks fine, which is good. However, I put an original copy of Twilight Princess in and I get some definitely noticeable corruption..

Pics:

http://www.softwarepirate.net/pics/wiiglitches1.jpg
    http://www.softwarepirate.net/pics/wiiglitches2.jpg

You can see them pretty clearly there. It's rather annoying since the modchip seems to be working (have no backups to test .. yet). I took it back apart and touched up a few places with a bit more solder as well as scraped in between all connections to make sure nothing was touching, but the graphical glitches remain. Anyone seen this before? Should just I attempt to pull it off and see if it's alright without the chip? Hopefully I didn't screw the whole console up [​IMG]

2. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Ah dude sucks to be you, my mate had this problem and we ended up working out it was a common problem. Its an overheating problem with the GPU (graphics processor unit). You can look it up on google, it has nothing to do with your install or your wiikey. Why it sucks is because the only way to fix it is to take your wii back to nintendo, but presumably you have voided your warranty now....

let us know what happens

3. t0ad
    OP

Newcomer t0ad Newbie

United States
    I was kind of afraid it was something to do with the GPU, though it's a little too convenient for it to up and start glitching right after I put the chip in.. worked fine up until then.

4. TheVirus

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Uganda
    Try opening the Wii and leave it open. Get a small floor fan and have it blow onto the Wii. See if that helps.

5. TheVirus

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Uganda
    Also, if you want, you can go buy a new Wii and swap out the hardware and return it in your old case. Say it has video corruption, the store loses no money, Nintendo loses nothing, everyone wins.

6. genxor

Newcomer genxor Advanced Member

Australia
    I have this too. It only happened after a 3 week period when I hadn't turned my wii on.
    Work got real hectic and by the time I got home at night I was just too tired to be bothered playing. It remained on standby (wiiconnect24) the entire time. I can't remember if it was around this time I installed my wiikey or after, but when I finally played Zelda again I had graphic corruption everywhere. I figured it was the GPU because I've experienced that kind of thing before when overclocking PC video cards. Perhaps I'd gotten some dust somewhere when I'd opened it to install the wiikey - but that seems unlikely as everything is sealed up pretty well.

It's strange. After a few hours it doesn't seem as severe. Maybe that's just me getting used to it though. It may even be the video cable or perhaps some dirt in the connector. It doesn't bother me too much so I haven't explored further.

7. moloko23

Member moloko23 GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
    So the Wii's GPU can overheat if we have the Wii set to wiiconnect24 (standby) all the time [​IMG] I've had it set to wiiconnect24 since I got my Wii, which was on the 6th of December?! Could this happen to me??

8. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    This happened to my first Wii which hadn't been modded.
    My fix was to send it back to Nintendo and get a replacement, understandably that might be a bit problematic for you now.
    I never opened that first Wii because I knew I'd need to get it replaced under warranty. However it is my belief that it is not just a simple overheating issue, that may have contributed to the problem but it did not disappear or lessen when the Wii was cooled more effectively than normal.

My replacement Wii has been running 24/7 since I received it apart from when I've opened it to mess with it's innards. No problems with this one so far.

9. t0ad
    OP

Newcomer t0ad Newbie

United States
    Just an update, I left the case off and used a fan on the system but it didn't help. I tried out a backup of Super Swing Golf NTSC USA a little bit ago and it works just fine, which is suprising considering I used cheap nameless DVD-Rs I had lying around. However, the first time the game started up, the screen was kinda shifted over halfway .. like, half the game was on each side with a black bar in the middle of the screen [​IMG] After I exited the game, the Wii system menu was the same way! After I cycled the power on the system it went back to normal, and the next time I loaded up the game it displayed fine (though it didnt exactly fill the whole screen, there was maybe half an inch of black bar on either side .. outputting 480p btw). Weird .. but it works!

I hardly notice any flickering pixels in Super Swing, so I guess I'll just live with the random corruption until it dies. Ah well, gotta pay to play. [​IMG]

10. genxor

Newcomer genxor Advanced Member

Australia
    I noticed something odd with mine yesterday. I was playing a gamecube game for a couple of hours and got no corruption at all.

11. wezlyons

Newcomer wezlyons Member

United Kingdom
    I had the graphical glitch problem too, my wii wasn't chipped but was left on standby at all times and wiiconnect was running.

I sent it back to Nintendo and received a new machine in less than a week, if i was you i would take the chip out and send back your wii.
    The worst they can do is send it back telling you to go and whistle.

12. fnh

Newcomer fnh Member

Saudi Arabia
    i got this problem yesterday while playing red steel and i have a cyclowiz v3.0
    so i dunno what to do now with my wii T.T

13. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    The overheating of the GPU is a big problem on the wonder console Wii
    Many in the danish nintendo forum has also this problem with an overheated GPU.
    Maybe a cooling thing would help?

14. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    You may want to check that out first . In Australia if your Wii issue is not covered by warranty then you are automatically charged $50 AU for the inspection of the console. If you don't want to pay it they will keep your console.
    Not saying the same applies where you are, definitely worth checking out though.

15. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    sell it on craigslist using a jack email address.