ウッーウッーウマ
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We used to have some pretty awesome graphics competitions about a year ago, but some stuff happened and well, we haven't had one since.
I'd love to revive them, but with some new additions. The existing rules were as follows:

QUOTE said:
The Point Based Scores:

If you enter the competition you take on the role of not only creating an image but judging everyone else who entered.

All you have to do is look at all the entry's, and pm (Starting on Saturday night/Sunday morning at Midnight ending on Sunday night/Monday morning Midnight) me with the top five entry's.

You can't vote for yourself PERIOD, and if you didn't enter you can't judge (Feel free to comment in the thread though).Will probably change this

There will be a point system per vote.

First place is 5 points, Second is 4 etc.

Now, in addition to these rules I'd like to add a few spins to the concept myself. I've noticed a lot of people requesting signatures/avatars/whatever in the graphics forum lately. In an effort to convert that demand into something the entire community can enjoy, the main point behind these competitions will be providing someone with something. Individuals looking for work to be done will sign up for a list. Each competition will supply something for someone on that list, in the order that they signed up. (Think "Know your Temps") Theres a catch, however: If something is made for you, it is strongly encouraged you participate in at least one competition, even if its your own. If you do not, there is a strong chance you will not be considered again for a subject for the competition, should you desire to be.

If no one is on the list for a certain competition, a theme for it will be chosen by open ballot of several topics chosen by me, or by others whom I ask for ideas.

As in the old competitions, points will be recorded. As for rewards, or "redeemable prizes", nothing is planned, but something could be easily worked in if I had the right resources.

These will be serious competitions, so if you say you're going to participate, you are expected to submit something.

Note that anybody of any artistic skill level is welcome to join. The subject of the competition will get to choose which one he likes best, so even if you think yours sucks, he could still wear it. Plus bad entries are hilarious
tongue.gif

If there are any further questions, feel free to ask them here. Or suggestions. Or if you just feel like spamming my topic
frown.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh hell yes I'm interested.
smile.gif
The "existing rules" you quoted aren't the ones I remember though, voting was done in an open thread and anyone could vote (there weren't many entries, so limiting it to entrants only really wouldn'tve worked)

Am a bit confused by the "it's always going to be making stuff for people" side of it, I think it'll limit down the range of stuff we can do if they're always sig and avatar contests (or am I making an assumption about the kind of things people can request here?). And it might put some people off, thinking the topic setters are just trying to get request work for free.

These will be serious competitions, so if you say you're going to participate, you are expected to submit something.
I think that rule will put people off. Sometimes things dont work out as planned, and for beginners it can be a bit intimidating entering contests at all, especially when they don't know if they'll be able to pull it off. Plus you might get people going off and making their entries first, so they know they definitely have something before saying they'll enter, which will reduce activity in the entry thread and might stop others from noticing what's going on and wanting to have a go.

Blah I'm rambling and picking holes, I do that too much. But much, much love for bringing the contests back
smile.gif

[Edit] I don't understand the difference between "Yes" and "Yes I'd participate too". Lol I suck this afternoon (go go sleep deprevation), clarify pls?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
as far as I know, there were also more than just "graphic" competitions... I remember we had photographic competitions.
Since I'm not an artist or an expert in graphics, I prefer photographic competitions as I can actually participate
tongue.gif

but in anyway, yeah I miss them.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Photography is involved, sign me up!

No graphic design for me though, unless you like stick people on MSPaint98. (Yes, that says 98)

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'll clarify a few points then:

Making stuff for people:
Yes, I suppose the people who do get something get it as a freeby. We could limit it to people with a post count over a certain threshold, or just eliminate the idea all together. I'll roll with whatever gets the most people interested in it.

Photography:
Of course! I suppose "Graphics" does seem a bit narrow, so we'll just call it an art contest. I'd love to stick to the old format where we did things like fake boxart, or movie posters that everyone could participate in, regardless of skill. We'll also have photography contests. Don;t worry, these contests are very pliable!

Strict:
I'm going to stick with this one. If you sign up, you are expected to have something to show. It won't be the end of the world if you don't, but I will be expecting everyone to do their part to make this successful. We can;t have 30 people say they will participate and only 5 actually submit something, it doesn't speak very highly of the integrity of the competition as a whole. As for "n00bs" who might feel anxious entering a contest, get over it. Its the internet for crying out loud, not a public address in front of millions of people.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok! Well it looks like we've got enough interest here to do something! I'll have everything whipped up by this weekend, so look for the competition soon!

acrocosm

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
actually i like strict rules like "use only ms paint" or something like that.

also this could make it more fair perhaps since different people have experience with different tools and at quite varying levels so it won't be easy to judge. I mean someone submits a god like entry done in ms paint and another a god like one done in photoshop. Those two works can not really compete with each other, the winner would obviously be the second while it doesn't nessesarily mean that he/she is better than the other person...

want more? another guy submits a god-like work in pure 3dsmax taking a week to complete. how does that compete with a photograph taken in an instant no matter how perfect the photo is.

an option could be to have a series of different competitions perhaps? so that people skilled in different areas can choose what they want to work on

nevertheless i'd like to participate but i'm not sure i'll manage to find the time. I just got a job starting monday, i'm working on the gfx for a homebrew gba game, i have to finish a circuit bent project i started in jun and there's a possibility i'm taking a part time job as well
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, don't worry atleast that video is a parody +1