1. PZT

PZT Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    for Christmas 1996 the Saturn was bundled with Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA and that still wasn't enough

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    I still think the whole rivalry between Sega Japan and Sega USA screwed things. Sega USA made the huge mistake that was the 32X, without that the Sega Saturn would have sold better.

Yeah just checked, the 32X is 50% to blame of why the Saturn failed.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  3. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Hope Gary is going strong with the Wii U port!!!

4. Rafciu

Rafciu GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    I never played this infamous mission on pc/PS2 but on Android it was really easy. I think whole difficulity of it was in controls.

salitoshater and draftguy like this.
  5. Kordru

Kordru Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    God, i love this game so much.

6. Raendor

Raendor Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I still have the first print of VC and ps2 stored carefully somewhere. I love this game because it was the first I played on my new ps2 in 2002 and the whole 80s atmosphere and OST left a huge impact on me. I have an old school music taste well in my 30s since then and still get goosebumps sometimes listening to More than This, Wow, Dance Hall Days, Pale Shelter, etc. Hope Rockstar will revisit the era some day. It was a truly unique experience back then for sure.

stüssy likes this.
  7. landysmods

landysmods Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    Does anybody know if PC or android save files can be used with this, or has anybody saved after the rc helicopter mission?
    Not sure if I can endure it again ;)

8. stüssy

stüssy Member
    Newcomer

Portugal
    Flash FM... still visiting Vice City only to cruise and listen to it.

draftguy likes this.
  9. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Is there a Button Layout or something so I can get PS2 Codes entered correctly? Can only get a cpl Codes to Input right. GTA3, and GTA SA are perfect.

10. Tac 21

Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    umm...didn't this already happen but it disapeared?

11. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    I think that what was implied was that he believes Vita software will be extremely collectible and expensive in the future, much like what has happened with Saturn software - and I kind of agree... it's already happening, despite (or perhaps aided by) how easy it is to hack a Vita and never buy a game ever.

12. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Everything can be a collective, first gen Pokemon Cards may not sell as much as old Money The Gathering Rare cards but definitely are a lot more expensive nowadays when before you got them included in Pokemon magazines for free.

13. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    True, but video game collecting (particularly "retro" systems) has a lot of factors that determine desirability and expense; not being the most popular system at the time of release is a major one, especially when combined with a "quality over quantity" library of titles... they're just a couple of reasons why Saturn collecting will always be a more costly endeavour than Playstation collecting, and why Vita will likely be in a similar situation when compared to the 3DS (and possibly even the Switch).

14. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    The Saturn did really well in Japan and did decent in some European countries.

It was the 32x and rushing the Dreamcast what killed it.

15. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Maybe in North America, but that wasn't really the picture anywhere else - it was honestly just beaten out by the dominance of the Playstation ...but 'why' it wasn't a success at the time is irrelevant in regards to why it's now so revered.
    ...same as Sony's abrupt lack of support for the Vita prematurely killing it (although, unlike the 3DS, it still gets physical and digital releases) not being relevant to why it's becoming "the Saturn of handhelds".

16. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Fan

France
    I just know about GTA3 port honestly, don't know much more

17. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    North America was back then the biggest gaming market, failure there meant you were doomed. Is not like today you can get digital versions of any game and so you can sell games almost anywhere.

18. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Sega USA undermined all of Sega Japans plans, forced them to rush launches, and generally fuck up everything post Sega CD, including basically killing them as a a home console producer with some shady dealings from the head of Sega USA who happened to then walk into a top position at Xbox, which (not so) coincidentally got exclusives of things that were originally intended as Sega console exclusives.

19. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I think the 32x and saturn has to take a lot of the blame, they were both terrible designs. The Dreamcast wasn't particularly rushed.

Their biggest mistake at that time was partnering with Microsoft. It should have been obvious what would happen after Nintendo partnered with Sony on the original Play Station. All Sega got out of the deal was a crap DirectX port.

Last edited by smf, Feb 22, 2021
  20. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    The Saturn wasn't that bad, the problem was that Sega didn't offer enough technical documentation to make programing to it easier.

The 32x was a pet project of Sega USA that was completely redundant, as Sonic 3d blast showed, Sega CD games could be perfectly be ported to the Saturn and kids already had a Sega CD.

Partnering with Microsoft was part of an old deal to port Sega games to Windows that basically went nowhere save for Sonic CD and the infamous Sonic 3 for PC.

Thing is, Sega wanted for some reason to expand to the PC market and back in the 90s that meant Windows.

Saying the deal with Microsoft ruined Sega is ridiculous since by the time the Xbox came out Sega already had huge economic problems.

The fight between Sega USA and SEGA Japan, the 32x and the head of Sega USA at the time only caring about sports games was the main reason the Saturn failed.

Is akso false rhe Saturn had no Sonic games.

It had Sonic Jam, the Sonic 3D Blast remake and Sonic R.

Thing is, the whole Sonic Extreme thing being canceled also helped to hurt the console.

Sonic the fighters was going to get ported to the Saturn but rushing the Dreamcast got that canned.

Looking back at it ;Sega did so many things wrong is amazing they didn't end disappearing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - ported, Grand, Theft