Grand Theft Auto V will be free to claim on the Epic Games Store until May 21st

KLaV1U0.png

The Epic Games Store continues to give out free games to entice users to its platform, and this time, they've got a pretty big game to offer. Grand Theft Auto V is going to be available for free, starting May 14th. You'll have until May 21st to add the game to your account, and you'll get to keep it forever once you do so.

:arrow: Source

UPDATE: It appears the Tweet was not meant to go up quite yet, as it has now been removed from the official Twitter account.

aGqH5AY.png

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been using all the launchers.... At least the ones with good free games. Grabbed GTA V still have yet to set it up :( I work a lot of hours these days so in a day or two I can play it some :)

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if it's not on Steam, I'd rather pirate it.
What have Steam done to earn such undying loyalty? Are they not just another company like any other?
I wouldn't call it undying loyalty, even though it does come across as such. I somewhat agree with AlexMCS on this. If it's not available on Steam and or GOG I'm not interested. Epic has a long history of treating it's customers like shit. Most of what I never cared for was how they treat the PC customer base as pirates. Tencent being a larger share holder doesn't help anything.

Steam by no means is perfect and could use something to compete but make no mistake Epic is about as anti-consumer as it gets. Their #1 priority is money (as a business that does make good sense) however Steam, GOG have proven a different approach can still be viable in the long term. Epic giving this away is just intelligent marketing on their part. Think of how many future customers they now have an avenue into selling things to now that that launcher is on their machine.

I'll pass, I've got no interest in giving opportunity to a business who thrives off micro-transactions that have become a plague on modern entertainment.

Epic are also offering free permanent licenses for the highest modern blockbuster AAA games on a regular basis.
Lol you seem to be confusing Epic with GOG. *Should* epic just vanish, so does your access to all game you bought through them for the most part (apart from developers offering alternative means to get them) the same goes for Steam.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I forgot how much I liked this game... ;)

sd8nodY.png

XqooCFu.png

guc0KK9.png

Images are in 1440p (50% downsized), max everything except for:

- Extended shadow distance lowest (dont like the games look with it set any higher).
- Grass details one step below max
- Reflection MSAA 8x
- Soft shadow options: Softest
- Motion blur strength: Two below max (again, its a looks thing)

AA Is the lowest MSAA that also supports TXAA, and TXAA enabled.

Last edited by notimp,

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GTA is bad for families, but

Now do GTA IV and bring back the multiplayer. Also fix the code, I do not care if my RTX 3080 Ti will run it easy, it is horribly unoptimised software. Everyone deserves a reasonable experience.

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You said this before. How do you figure that?
From playing more than one GTA game a lot and also from learning about the effects it has had on people

There was a person who was deeply into playing GTA and one time he was arrested or something and he went and took a gun at the police station and just started walking and killing police officers dead.

If I ever had any children, I personally would not want them to ever play Grand Theft Auto. I am that type of person, but I accept that there are other types of people too.

A lot of things are legal and hard to criminalize but that does not mean they are ok. No one person, no perfect authority controls all laws and society. I am against too much censorship too, I guess.

I am not someone who would promote GTA. It is a bit like alcohol in Iceland where they have a state-run alcoholic drinks monopoly to discourage drinking. In that country, being seen with a bag from the state alcohol store (the only legal place to buy alcoholic drinks in Iceland) is a socially shameful thing. But of course, I am sure people there still drink. I admit that I did take this free GTA V deal but I feel bad about it.

I stopped drinking and never do drugs or smoke, though. Whoo!

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From playing more than one GTA game a lot and also from learning about the effects it has had on people

There was a person who was deeply into playing GTA and one time he was arrested or something and he went and took a gun at the police station and just started walking and killing police officers dead.

If I ever had any children, I personally would not want them to ever play Grand Theft Auto. I am that type of person, but I accept that there are other types of people too.

A lot of things are legal and hard to criminalise but that does not mean they are ok. No one person, no perfect authority controls all laws and society. I am against too much censorship too, I guess.

I am not someone who would promote GTA. It is a bit like alcohol in Iceland where they have a state-run alcoholic drinks monopoly to discourage drinking. In that country, being seen with a bag from the state alcohol store (the only legal place to buy alcoholic drinks in Iceland) is a socially shameful thing. But of course, I am sure people there still drink. I admit that I did take this free GTA V deal but I feel bad about it.

So I have been following GTA, and Rockstar + extras in general, since the first GTA and never heard of that one. Now my not knowing something is not indicative of anything but you have given me no names, dates, times, locations and a search reveals not a lot. Given however I can probably recount all the nonsense Jack Thompson said in an effect to connect dots someone doing the whole

sequence would probably have made a bigger dent.
Even if it was the case that someone played some GTA and shot up a police station (because nobody has ever acted a fool after being arrested, the bars, cuffs, watchers, cameras and the like are just ritual humiliation) are the two connected? We have had nutbars blame/decry everything from books for kids, pop songs, films, rock and roll, plays, comic books, comic book films, sports contests and much more besides. Would they not have done such a thing were it not for GTA? If GTA can make killers (we are a few million sales over decades at this point and living in the most peaceful time in human history but I will play hypothetical) then where are all the governments, agencies and whatever else that could really do with killers (see any number of military, paramilitary and police training for decades, if not centuries, at this point) https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-profitable-entertainment-product-of-all-time reckoned 6 billion in income for GTA5 by 2018 which is nice but a drop in the bucket compared to what the world's militaries + mercenaries + police would pay for being able to reliably make shooters? Or is it so super dangerous that they can't trust it?
What if playing GTA acted as a release for someone so they did not shoot up the joint?

The rest says not a lot about anything other than what you would do and something about alcohol which is an entirely different discussion.

Similarly we have never quite made it to how it goes to your original premise of families somehow being troubled by the existence, play or whatever.

Reactions: tranceology3

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I have been following GTA, and Rockstar + extras in general, since the first GTA and never heard of that one. Now my not knowing something is not indicative of anything but you have given me no names, dates, times, locations and a search reveals not a lot. Given however I can probably recount all the nonsense Jack Thompson said in an effect to connect dots someone doing the whole

sequence would probably have made a bigger dent.
Even if it was the case that someone played some GTA and shot up a police station (because nobody has ever acted a fool after being arrested, the bars, cuffs, watchers, cameras and the like are just ritual humiliation) are the two connected? We have had nutbars blame/decry everything from books for kids, pop songs, films, rock and roll, plays, comic books, comic book films, sports contests and much more besides. Would they not have done such a thing were it not for GTA? If GTA can make killers (we are a few million sales over decades at this point and living in the most peaceful time in human history but I will play hypothetical) then where are all the governments, agencies and whatever else that could really do with killers (see any number of military, paramilitary and police training for decades, if not centuries, at this point) https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-profitable-entertainment-product-of-all-time reckoned 6 billion in income for GTA5 by 2018 which is nice but a drop in the bucket compared to what the world's militaries + mercenaries + police would pay for being able to reliably make shooters? Or is it so super dangerous that they can't trust it?
What if playing GTA acted as a release for someone so they did not shoot up the joint?

The rest says not a lot about anything other than what you would do and something about alcohol which is an entirely different discussion.

Similarly we have never quite made it to how it goes to your original premise of families somehow being troubled by the existence, play or whatever.

I stand by my post.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
So much crying over a free AAA game, its pathetic.

If you don't want a free game don't sign up and download it, no need to cry like a baby. It isn't that hard now is it children?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are rude and triggered.

I am putting you on Ignore.
Rude. When it befits the situation. I don't consider any of the above as such though and struggle to see how some might.

Triggered. Never. Only triggers I care about are on my weapons, in my programs or on my oscilloscope.

Me being ignored (as much as I am theoretically speaking to empty air). Tragic. Can't actually back up your ideas so you run from the debate.

Reactions: peteruk

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'll pass, I've got no interest in giving opportunity to a business who thrives off micro-transactions that have become a plague on modern entertainment.
Valve has the whole keys you can purchase to open lootcrates in TF2, CSGO and Dota 2 and has had them far before Epic ever did, though. Hell, they were probably one of the first companies to do something like that. And while you can sell them to other players, that A. makes it even more like gambling, since you can actually get money back and B. Valve takes a cut of every sale.

Last edited by Arras,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm hearing the Rockstar launcher makes you do a CAPTCHA test every time you want to launch a game now? Or is it every time you want to log in to the launcher? I haven't played any Rockstar game in a long time, but either way that sounds completely moronic. Gotta love it when the most convenient option becomes pirating a game you've already paid for.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm hearing the Rockstar launcher makes you do a CAPTCHA test every time you want to launch a game now? Or is it every time you want to log in to the launcher? I haven't played any Rockstar game in a long time, but either way that sounds completely moronic. Gotta love it when the most convenient option becomes pirating a game you've already paid for.
Happens every time you want to log on.

That launcher has also never remembered my password (annoyingly).

I do not like that the store is now going to feature mods and achievements. A big draw for me to EGS over Steam was because of the simplicity of EGS.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Achievements one of the best features to happen in gaming - makes you play a game differently if want to and adds mor challenges
Pretty sure we had sidequests, quasi tutorials, challenges, minigames and game design leading players to alternate play styles decades before we had trophments, and people have been challenging each other to things outside what the game itself is scripted for for even longer still, and if we look into the likes of sports in the real world then handicaps, trick shots and whatever else for centuries (indeed many sports often evolved from tricks and little challenges).
Most of them are better than the stats tracking and "completed level 2" that most devs put as their trophments only because the console makers force them to have them.

Beyond that trophments have also seen the death of in game cheats which I would consider a great net negative to the world.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos

A lot of things are legal and hard to criminalise but that does not mean they are ok. No one person, no perfect authority controls all laws and society. I am against too much censorship too, I guess.

Thats basically what behavioral psychology tried to prove about videogames for around 10 years, and couldnt.

Rough cut on why they couldnt is, that any effects that showed aggressiveness going up where temporary to under an hour (Basically people tilting, when you make them stop playing a game, without saving.. ;) And 'in the moment' effects)).

And for anything else, like 'ultraviolence', driving over civilians, going on a rampage with Trevor (style gameplay moments), what it does in most people is actually escapism, and catharsis. So you move to this 'fantasy world' you act out your animal instinct behaviors for a while with no consequences. You notice and understand the difference between that and the real world. And after acting them out, they dont feature that prominent in your real life motivations anymore. (Curiosity, the forbidden thing, repressed instinct...)

SImilar thing with watching a boxing match. People knew about those needs to 'vent' in society (rules so more people can live closer together) a long time ago, and it is recognized, pretty much throughout society.

There is no 1:1 connection of playing a violent videogame, and becoming violent yourself. There isn't even a 1:100000 connection of that happening, basically.

People that are telling you not to look at the less socially accepted sides of humanity, because "it is bad" usually just are repressed and translate that into wanting to prevent something happening to you that usually doesnt.

That said, a 'normal' frame of reference (what is reality, what is moral, what is bad, ...) is needed to make those calls. Usually that is what friends and family provide during your upbringing. Not introducing PG18 stuff to children too early, serves largely the function of making sure they got imprinted with how society works first, before introducing them to undesired, sketchier, 'rolemodels'. That and if they see something thats very disturbing to them and they dont talk, and cant deal with it, because they are young, thats usually also an outcome you dont want to have.

But it should never be as simple as "played videogame > became violent and reenacted it in life", thats usually not how humans work. (Chance of less than one in a million, if you are talking about the example you used.)

edit: Here is another persons story, that basically tells you as much. Watched the video today, by chance, looking for GTA V retrospectives on yt.

(Btw, that persons opinion about the qualities of GTA Vs storytelling is wrong. ;) (That game is deep in its exploration of the shallow and deeper sides of humanity, that game is biting in its social commentary... Most of that went over the person who made the video's head, also 'making a point to run over every civilian on a bike, because thats what your philosophy teacher taught you' is not what he tried to teach you (callback to a line in that video), but hey... Who am I to judge. ;) (*judging* ;) ))

edit: Desensitizing effects (f.e.) towards violence are provable though, afair. (Which is also why the military uses video games in training f.e.). Desensitizing means, you get less appalled/outraged/emotionally activated, when you see violent or abhorrent behavior, if you've experienced something like this (even in a 'fantasy world') many times before.

Last edited by notimp,

Jonnysert

Trophies
Website
giupviectheogio.com
XP
Country
Canada
i love how even as a ruthless gangstar who kills people with no remorse, franklin treats chop with more respect than another gang memberYou know someone is a good youtuber when he gives heart even now even when the video is years old.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.