Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition pulled from sale on PC, Rockstar Games Launcher suffers outage

gta (1).png

On the launch day of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition, Rockstar has pulled the game from digital storefronts not once, but twice, with the second one delisting the game bizarrely with no official reasoning. The first removal of the GTA Trilogy from a digital storefront was due to PlayStation copies of the game accidentally unlocking before the actual launch time--but it was quickly relisted in time to allow players to download the game and play it. The same cannot be said for the PC platform, however.

Those that purchased the game through the only available platform on PC--the Rockstar Games Launcher--found that GTA: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition was not as definitive as claimed, as it suffered from performance problems. Then, it was quietly removed from sale entirely, with the official website even removing any existence of a PC version from anywhere on the page. Following that incident, the Rockstar Games Launcher went down completely, locking gamers out of other online Rockstar titles, such as Grand Theft Auto Online and Red Dead Online. Those that purchased The Trilogy on PC prior to the delisting are also unable to play the game they just bought.

Rockstar has not made mention as to why GTA The Trilogy was pulled, though they did state that they are aware of issues with the launcher, with the reason being that the service is down for maintenance.

SyntheticPep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized that the non-remaster games have been de-listed on Steam. Which is unfortunate as you could get the original trilogy for less than $20 at one point.

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I run my PS2 on scart with a CRT, because that's the EU standard here. GSM is kinda finnicky, some games work, some don't.
There's some lists out there like these to help you find compatible GSM games: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...9EZDMquvj-Ig6JKPgQvRg_u5g0kq411V8b-Rm/pubhtml
Yeah CRT is more forgiving. Scart Is good but in Japan we only have JP21 (somewhat rare on anything but on stuff used for development or editing).
GTA games on PS2 have always looked kinda crappy. I remember when both launched and there were comparisons with the Xbox version, and wow! That looked far better.

GTA 3
D2XIAPL.jpg

GTA SA
ONlChHO.jpg

This game really showed how good the Xbox graphics were compared to PS2 and GCN.

Almost like an early 360/PS3 game.

You are right. No doubt the Xbox version was way better. I have an Xbox with a dead DVD drive and I am working on SM right now. Is well known that all Sony's hardware until ps4 have been quite hard to code for which hardly impacted games' quality. However, PS2 and PS3 really shined with games that were closely monitored or even directly made by Sony (e.g. Gods of War, The last of Us).

I use my PS2 with the Genuine Japanese component (D-tanshi) on plasma DHV Panasonic Viera (Made in Japan line) that comes with a nice CRT conversion board. IT has even VGA ports for my Dreamcast... making almost useless the OSSC (almost :) ). Panasonic itself called it a bridge and it really gives spectacular results with everything until 2010. This included all the 8-32bit. However certain classics from 6th generation just did not age well on PS2 while they are still a beauty on Xbox and even Gamecube through Wii (since native hardware only runs S-VIDEO). These unfortunately include all the GTA trilogy, the best of the three SA for graphic.

Last edited by Idrolitina,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

theeternal92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized that the non-remaster games have been de-listed on Steam. Which is unfortunate as you could get the original trilogy for less than $20 at one point.
It's like they want people to illegally obtain the originals I suppose. I just find it so odd that they didn't give it a good look before allowing them to release. It's not like GSG has never leaked anything important before. These games deserved more respect than what they gave them. They're not at all what helped them rise to what they are now.

Reactions: SyntheticPep

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to believe that some disgruntled employee purposely included the source files to spite Rockstar for the re3 C&D, but I'm guessing they just outsourced this to people who didn't know or care about the importance of those files. So... karma.

• Haha
Reactions: Xzi and ZeroT21

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cracks on cs.rin.ru work.

Drop the files into GTA Vice City - Definitive Edition\Gameface\Binaries\Win64\ and you can access what you fucking paid for again.

Then you have to move your game saves from C:\Users\(your profile)\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA Vice City Definitive Edition\Profiles\(your profile hash)\ to C:\Users\(your profile)\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA Vice City Definitive Edition\SaveGames\ and you can continue your progress if you paid for it, were playing it, then saw it delete from your library

Fucking assholes. I had collecting like 35 hidden packages, closed the game to go eat, relaunched it, rockstar launcher updated and dropped all the games from my launcher and the desktop links stopped working.

This is bullshit.

Last edited by Mark McDonut,

supershadow64ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already bought the steam releases of 3, VC and SA. But now that the originals are taken down with no way to purchase them, I consider them abandonware and feel no remorse for anyone yarhar-ing them.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could get it for less than $10 when on sale, and the Collection was truly the best GTA set on Steam which went for a similar price.

I regret not buying it, but that was like 9 years ago and I only got into Steam about 3 years ago.

Reactions: SyntheticPep

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Y'know, I try my best not to judge anyone, but when you consider these games had homebrew ports which ran better and were free and this version costs $60 dollars, man, that's a colossal F-up if I ever saw one.

I'm already waiting for the "Wha Happun?" on this one.

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

Leqz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Nice delayed response. Only took you 24 hours. Also blocked. You don't even know me personally, so you can take your assumptions and suck it.
He have something called a life, you should try it. Also you're a hypocrite considering you don't even replied to my comment which I pointed you wrongly assumed someone else. Hate it when it happens to yourself huh ?

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
GTA games on PS2 have always looked kinda crappy. I remember when both launched and there were comparisons with the Xbox version, and wow! That looked far better.

GTA 3
D2XIAPL.jpg

GTA SA
ONlChHO.jpg

This game really showed how good the Xbox graphics were compared to PS2 and GCN.

Almost like an early 360/PS3 game.

I remember the wait between the ps2 and xbox release was excruciating

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi