1. 3,426

Front-page
    header.jpg

After getting delisted from Steam suddenly last month, Rockstar is apparently ready to bring Grand Theft Auto IV back to digital storefronts once more. Just as many assumed, the game was pulled due to licensing issues, along with compatibility problems that resulted from using the now-defunct Games for Windows Live service. On March 19th, GTA IV will return, now titled as "Grand Theft Auto 4: Complete Edition", packed in with the downloadable content of Episodes from Liberty City. This version of the game will be available on Rockstar's new game launcher as well as Steam, though some important changes have been made to the game, such as removing Games for Windows Live, online multiplayer features, and the game's leaderboards, while certain in-game radio stations will be removed "temporarily".

If you already owned the game on Steam prior to its takedown, you'll need to update your current version of GTA IV on March 19th, where it'll be replaced by the new Grand Theft Auto 4: Complete Edition. If you activated the game via Games for Windows Live back in the day, you'll now be required to use your Rockstar Social Club account instead.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (30 replies)

3. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Lol Shittttttttt again for a second I thought you found some breaking news on gta6

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  4. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Hiya!

Canada
    I saw Sans multiplayer and immediately thought of Sans from Undertale lol.

5. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    "Complete Edition" that deosn't have multiplayer and removes entire radio stations. Lmao! :rofl2:

Glad they at least removed GWL, now the game might be playable without patches.

6. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States

7. boomario

boomario Nothing to say here.

Brazil
    Will probably come with hundred of game breaking bugs, as always with rockstar re-releases.

8. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Belgium
    LMAO they not wanting to use servers themselves for multiplayer support so they blame it on Microsoft. Yeah right, we all know that is bullshit. It would be quite an easy feat to open up servers themselves but they rather not want a competitor to GTA V that has more micro transaction money flowing in compared to a more free experience. We all know it has to do with that and that alone

Stealphie and IncredulousP like this.
  9. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    If you don't want bugs in yr games go play simple made games like solitaire

10. boomario

boomario Nothing to say here.

Brazil
    Of course, because bugs that doesn't allow players to complete story are super normal and expected in games, right? Well, i will just accept that i can't finish the game i paid for and go play Solitaire then.

osaka35 and Stealphie like this.
  11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    Or they don't want to invest money removing all GFWL dependencies and functionality from the multiplayer, testing to make sure it works properly, and paying to host servers, for a game they make basically no money on anymore.

12. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot im useless

Netherlands
    "Complete Edition"
    [Removes and changes content in the meantime]

13. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Argentina
    So is a grand theft of the player then.

14. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    Oh good, I'm glad they fixed the games for Windows live shit... I bought the game and gave up trying to get it to work, and had to result to pirating a game that I bought just to play it. Now I can finally play it legit!

15. simbin

simbin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wait, I already own this.. does that mean if I re download, it will have the music stripped, and no more achievements through GFWL? What a joke if true!

16. simbin

simbin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    "Microsoft’s awful Games For Windows Live technogubbins is being removed because it caused the trouble in the first place, and that’s great news."

Does that mean we can finally expect a solid 60fps on modern hardware?

17. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    aw, GTA IV multiplayer was really good IMO, though it's been some time since I last played.

18. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]
    Global Moderator

United States
    Well at least you can still go bowling with cousin roman.

YOUCANTSTOPME likes this.
  19. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Canada
    multiplayer in IV was better than V, and you'll have a hard time changing my mind

they also release a complete edition that has less content than the legacy edition lmao, good thing i have copious amounts of backups anyway because modding ur shit needs backups

if modders can do it for free then why can't rockstar lmao
    they could also have changed it to use steam servers or peer to peer, not that hard or money intensive

20. MadMakuFuuma

MadMakuFuuma Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    vice city fm? serious? and thats why i have "alternative" copies of my games, even if i have the originals on steam/epic or whatever. and no, is not that simple to reinsert a music back in the game (yes, we have independence... but without the hilarious comments, is not the same)
    "complete edition" my ass!

yep, pretty sure... i lnow for a fact that my GTA IV, after the infamous 1.0.0.8 update, removed some music (for example, steve nicks's age of seventeen).

21. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Well, atleast people can buy/play the game now,i suppose.
    But removing the multiplayer is shit

22. FGFlann

FGFlann GBAtemp Fan

This is why they should have just kept making original music like they did for GTA3 instead of all this licensed junk. Entertaining and no license required. You can't lose.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - multiplayer, returning, certain