Gran Turismo 6 Bugged on Fat PS3s?

Clapmastr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So over the years I've spent many hours trying to figure out why GT6 crashes my launch PS3 to 3 blinking red lights after around 10 minutes of play. I've tried the disc version and PSN version and both have the same issue. Even tried playing with different game updates installed and I've installed the game multiple times.

When scanning the net everyone just tells me that it's an overheating problem and to buy a new PS3. I've replaced cpu and gpu thermal paste and I've tried playing the game with my PS3 next to an air conditioner with the PS3 fan turned up to max speed. While monitoring temps the cpu and gpu stayed well under 50 degrees Celsius when it crashes.

I've even ran GTAV and God of War 3 for 15+ hours straight with no issues. Sometimes the crash happens when I'm sitting in the menu with no GPU load. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think gta6 requires each update be installed. The updates are not cumulative, so install them one by one from the first all the way to the last.

Reactions: Clapmastr

Clapmastr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think gta6 requires each update be installed. The updates are not cumulative, so install them one by one from the first all the way to the last.
Thanks but I've tried it. Even tried with no updates. Always get a crash either during a race or in the menu.

Clapmastr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the nec tokin capacitors have failed. GT6 is a demanding game and the nec tokin can't provide enough juice so the ps3 ylods.
replacing the nec tokin capacitors with tantalum caps will fix the problem.
I've never had a yellow light but I will look into replacing those caps and see if it fixes the issue. Thanks for replying.

Last edited by Clapmastr,

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Can you even use a fat ps3 during summer with the ylod that is common with the fats
i once had a fat and it crashed when the temp got 25+

Clapmastr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the yellow light just appears for a very short time and there's 3 beeps. i think that's what happening with your ps3.
OK thank you for clarifying. I never noticed the yellow. Maybe I'm a little color blind. I was under the assumption that ylod was just a solid yellow light that comes on.

darkgunsou86

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Reactions: Clapmastr

Metalmoore04

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you even use a fat ps3 during summer with the ylod that is common with the fats
i once had a fat and it crashed when the temp got 25+
I live in Florida, it's always hot here, and never had an issue with my FAT PS3 shutting down until I played GT6. Same issue as the thread. I see no yellow light just blinks red. My FAT PS3 case is modded for more airflow, I replaced the CPU/GPU thermal paste, upgraded the thermal pads, use an SSD, so I'm sure the issue is not overheating. I can play any other game and do a marathon without issue. I am certain GT6 has a bug for FAT consoles.

Clapmastr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in Florida, it's always hot here, and never had an issue with my FAT PS3 shutting down until I played GT6. Same issue as the thread. I see no yellow light just blinks red. My FAT PS3 case is modded for more airflow, I replaced the CPU/GPU thermal paste, upgraded the thermal pads, use an SSD, so I'm sure the issue is not overheating. I can play any other game and do a marathon without issue. I am certain GT6 has a bug for FAT consoles.
I think it might be those NEC Tokin capacitors in the Fats not being able to supply enough power through the board or overheating. I'm hoping to get mine changed out someday and see if that fixes the issue.

Reactions: Metalmoore04

Metalmoore04

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So over the years I've spent many hours trying to figure out why GT6 crashes my launch PS3 to 3 blinking red lights after around 10 minutes of play. I've tried the disc version and PSN version and both have the same issue. Even tried playing with different game updates installed and I've installed the game multiple times.

When scanning the net everyone just tells me that it's an overheating problem and to buy a new PS3. I've replaced cpu and gpu thermal paste and I've tried playing the game with my PS3 next to an air conditioner with the PS3 fan turned up to max speed. While monitoring temps the cpu and gpu stayed well under 50 degrees Celsius when it crashes.

I've even ran GTAV and God of War 3 for 15+ hours straight with no issues. Sometimes the crash happens when I'm sitting in the menu with no GPU load. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?
I'm sure there is a bug and it has nothing to do with overheating either. I have a FAT PS3 with a modded case for better airflow, replaced CPU/GPU thermal paste, upgraded the thermal pads, use an SSD, and it will play a marathon of any other game. GT6 crashes in the into race and there is no yellow light, just blinking red. I've also tried everything, and I live in Florida, so if overheating was an issue I would have run into it by now. My FAT PS3 is rock solid, even replaced the laser deck recently so it'll be running like new for a long time to come. Too bad I will not be able to play GT6 though.
Post automatically merged:

I think it might be those NEC Tokin capacitors in the Fats not being able to supply enough power through the board or overheating. I'm hoping to get mine changed out someday and see if that fixes the issue.
Good luck dude, hope you figure it out. I'm just ready to move on and call GT6 a loss. Otherwise I'm still loving my PS3 lol. One of these days I'll get a PS5.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1