Graaaarrrrggghhhhh

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Short little rant here.

GNC (where I work) is having a charity fund-raising thing for St. Jude's Children Hospital. Granted, I don't know anything about it, but y'know.

Out of all the customers my store had, over the course of the entire day, we raised $17.

It sickens me that people (mostly the store's target consumer - middle-aged housewives) will spend hundreds of dollars on themselves, on products that, to be completely honest, won't help them accomplish their goals, and they will probably give up on taking after a week, but they can't spare a single god damn dollar to charity.

And it's not like they feel strapped for cash, it's not "Man, I just got my paycheck, and this purchase is already putting me over my limit" (with some it is, and that's fine, but the majority: no). It's always just that they hear the word "charity" or "donate" and they suddenly turn off all attention. And they know that it's wrong, too! They lie about it! "Yeah, we already donate - just ring up my damn purchase."

I mean even I donated a few bucks that I had in my wallet (I didn't add that to the total above).

Fucking hell - I can just ring it up on their purchase and they wouldn't fucking notice!

Fuck it...

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People as a general rule are horrible arrogant things only concerned about themselves. I have done way too much charity work, and seen way too many people who could care less. It's sad, and most of all sickening.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, I hate it when retail drones ask for a donation. I came into the store to buy whatever, not be pressured into making a donation to some charity. I'd be more inclined to donate if there was just a tin on the counter with the name of the charity. Besides, you really don't know what other charitable donations anybpdy has made, or if they volunteer for the community in some way.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
0ddity said:
I'd be more inclined to donate if there was just a tin on the counter with the name of the charity.
This...This this this.

I donate to certain things whenever I can, and sure, sometimes I don't want to, because usually I don't have much money on me anyway. But still, it's called a donation for a reason. People shouldn't be asking to donate to something, as it completely ruins the purpose of it being a donation.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
TDWP FTW said:
0ddity said:
I'd be more inclined to donate if there was just a tin on the counter with the name of the charity.
This...This this this.

I donate to certain things whenever I can, and sure, sometimes I don't want to, because usually I don't have much money on me anyway. But still, it's called a donation for a reason. People shouldn't be asking to donate to something, as it completely ruins the purpose of it being a donation.

Being asked to donate defeats the purpose of donation? Lolwut? Asking is just a polite version of notifying.

And to oddity - I'm very sorry for overestimating my drone status and interfering with your purchase for far less than a minute! I'm truly not worthy to be in your presence. Forgive me.

(Also: donation jars are always empty unless its the holidays.)

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
monkat said:
Being asked to donate defeats the purpose of donation? Lolwut? Asking is just a polite version of notifying.

No, if you're asked to "donate" it is no longer a donation, it is a solicitation of funds. And obviously, (this very thread is proof) it is not just a polite solicitation for a good cause, because if they refuse, you judge people poorly even though you don't know their circumstances or charitable contributions elsewhere.

monkat said:
And to oddity - I'm very sorry for overestimating my drone status and interfering with your purchase for far less than a minute! I'm truly not worthy to be in your presence. Forgive me.
I'm glad you understand. You can take my money, and I'll always check to make sure you didn't short change me, because people in your profession obviously don't have enough education or ambition for a better job (see what I did there, not so nice when people make sweeping generalizations, is it?)

(Also: donation jars are always empty unless its the holidays.)
Really? Maybe because all the cashiers in your place of business are like you. Have you ever seen that Ronald McDonald House bin under the drive through window, you know, the one that's always full of change because people like me always throw our coinage into it, or the boxes at Tim Horton's counters for the Tim Horton's Children Foundation, etc? Get over yourself. You act high and mighty because you donated a couple bucks, big fuckin deal, I would bet at least several of the people who didn't donate that day, that you all have so kindly called selfish, horrible, arrogant and sickening, have donated far beyond what you do annually. Or maybe a kidney. Or bone marrow. Or blood, like I do every 58 days.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Donation jars always get my change. I hate change, so I just drop it in a nearby donation-type jar if such exists at the store. (and yes, sometimes that's like 50 cents...but sometimes I get change of $4 or so and can't be bothered to carry the loonies/toonies.)
I doubt it would rake in the cash, but donation tins do do their job.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
being asked/pressured to donate is not donation anymore.

Donation/charity comes from the heart. not from cashiers telling their costumers to do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Purple_Heart, I'm old as well. 👴