Hardware GPT Protected Partition?! What Should I Do to Get my Data Back?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hiya!

So following the problem I had a while ago (dying HDD) I installed an SSD in my laptop and reinstalled Windows.

The problem now, is that I thought of using my SATA2USB cable to get my data back. The idea seemed just perfect until I hit a wall. Windows disk manager detects it as a GPT protected drive. I can't access to my data in it.

What should I do now? I have no other media to copy my files back :/

[EDIT] Solved!
I got it to work by connecting the HDD to my broken laptop and installing windows in it! It's transfering via wifi.

Last edited by VinsCool,
Reactions: sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, sorry, maybe you could try plugging the drive into a different (working) computer directly? I know sometimes those USB-SATA converters do some driver things behind the scenes which can mess things up.

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, sorry, maybe you could try plugging the drive into a different (working) computer directly? I know sometimes those USB-SATA converters do some driver things behind the scenes which can mess things up.
Yeah that was the idea. my data is in a separate partition. the thig though, is that I have no media to transfer almost 500 GB of data to my main laptop. :/

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
FileZilla FTP server? lol. As long as the computers are on the same network, even with wireless, they should see each other.
Interesting... as long as something works!

But now I need to install an OS to the HDD, hopefully, the 2nd partition won't die in the process >.<

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah that was the idea. my data is in a separate partition. the thig though, is that I have no media to transfer almost 500 GB of data to my main laptop. :/
Connect the HDD to the laptop internally, connect the SSD to the USB-SATA adapter, and boot a live CD and use that to copy the data to the SSD.

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Connect the HDD to the laptop internally, connect the SSD to the USB-SATA adapter, and boot a live CD and use that to copy the data to the SSD.
The ssd will most likely throw the error as well.

Actually I managed to get my broken acer laptop to work, and internally detected the HDD. Knowing my data is in the second partition, I won't lose anything installing windows to it. The tricky part will be the data transfer afterward haha

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Update!

I managed to access to my files in a hacky way, installed Windows 10 to the broken Acer trash laptop :D

I will FTP or any other way to my main laptop tomorrow!

IMG_20161002_004914.jpg
IMG_20161002_004856.jpg

Last edited by VinsCool,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was going to say you could boot a windows 10 live disc (usually a bart Pe) and get the data that way. But it looks like you got it. Nice. Those windows 10 live discs are hacks of the windows pre install envronment hacked to run some of the windows components with out instillation. I have a windows 10 one that is almost perfect and it runs off a dvd. No hdd is needed lol

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like to interact with my smut ok