Discussion GPL 101 - Atmosphere and SX OS

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Revard, Jul 13, 2018.

1. EIREXE

EIREXE Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2015
    Not necessary, the GPL falls under the definition of Free Software and the definition for Open Source Software, so both terms are correct.

2. xabier

xabier GBAtemp Fan

Dec 10, 2006
    United States
    The relevant thing here is that atmosphere is free software, if it was open source its clear where the homebrew launcher came from.

3. EIREXE

EIREXE Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2015
    I don't know what you mean, atmosphere is released under the GPLv2, which makes it both open source software and free software.

4. xabier

xabier GBAtemp Fan

Dec 10, 2006
    United States
    In short term free software means release the sources of derivative work, open source doesnt.

5. EIREXE

EIREXE Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2015
    Not really, this is what free software means:

upload_2018-7-16_0-11-28.

tilda and Revard like this.
  6. mooglazer

mooglazer GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Great writeup.

For those that need a tl;dr:

In order for them to use the GPL software, they have to publish the source code (of the modified code, GPL code, and any code that links to/with GPL components). Unfortunately, TX will likely never do that since they probably don't GAF about being code thieves.

To make it easier for people to understand, pretty much every major vendor out there has an open-source download section because they are required by the GPL to provide the source.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/oss/

http://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux/common/search.html

And per the wikipedia page,

The GPL is a copyleft license, which means that derivative work can only be distributed under the same license terms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License << read this

Last edited by mooglazer, Jul 16, 2018
    tilda and Revard like this.
  7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
  8. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
  9. tilda

tilda Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2017
    United States
    Denton, TX
    Alright, will do.

10. NoNAND

NoNAND No NAND allowed here hehehe

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    The Void
    Who cares anyway
    Atnosphere doesnt even exist properly

11. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    And yet it is responsible for the existence of the other "CFW" so give it some proper respect

antiNT likes this.
  12. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    It's already illegal to distribute SX OS in the US/EU due to violations of DMCA/EUCD. It's hard to see how making it more illegal because of a GPL violation is going to make a difference.

13. Meepers55

Meepers55 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2018
    United States
    Now this is a great post! Although TX probably isn't going to be held liable for their actions, I find it funny how they lead to me learning more about the GPL. That's one thing I can actually thank them for.

14. nachuz

nachuz GBAtemp Fan

May 21, 2017
    Chile
    When you thought that Team Xecuter stopped stealing things, they stolen another!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"We have also fixed..."
    That literally explains that is stolen

Last edited by nachuz, Nov 20, 2018
  15. Mthodmn101

Mthodmn101 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    why wouldnt they add this? I don't care where they get fixes for issues from, as long as they fix them. So someone fixed it first, they shouldnt add it? Jeez, get off TX dick already

NeoSlyde likes this.
  16. Cubuss
    This message by Cubuss has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Nov 21, 2018, Reason: Useless.
    Nov 20, 2018
  17. WiiuGold
    This message by WiiuGold has been removed from public view by Joe88, Nov 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Nov 20, 2018
  18. Cubuss
    This message by Cubuss has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Nov 21, 2018, Reason: Useless.
    Nov 20, 2018
  19. nachuz
    This message by nachuz has been removed from public view by Joe88, Nov 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Nov 20, 2018
  20. Thetoto

Thetoto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2018
    France
    It's not a stolen feature, just a fix on an old stolen feature.

21. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    And?
    Yah, they are bad, we get it, what do you want from us sx users to do? Stop using it?
    If you want to discuss code stealing, there is another thread for that, i think it has to do with GPL.

Mean while, i will continue use it because it's easier to use.

Edit: continue here
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/gpl-101-atmosphere-and-sx-os.511312/

edit2: my comment about nachus's last comment and it was moved here so i hope no one get confused for what i am talking about.

Last edited by aos10, Nov 21, 2018
  22. SkittleDash
    This message by SkittleDash has been removed from public view by Joe88, Nov 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Nov 20, 2018
  23. Cubuss
    This message by Cubuss has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Nov 20, 2018, Reason: Not an imageboard.
    Nov 20, 2018
  24. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    I did think they stopped stealing, but now i don't know what to believe anymore. I'm ripping all their posters off my wall.

jakkal likes this.
  25. nachuz
    This message by nachuz has been removed from public view by Joe88, Nov 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Nov 20, 2018
  26. Pender666
    This message by Pender666 has been removed from public view by Joe88, Nov 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Nov 20, 2018
  27. Mthodmn101
    This message by Mthodmn101 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Nov 20, 2018, Reason: No need for that.
    Nov 20, 2018
  28. nachuz
    Nov 20, 2018
  29. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Nah, that's the third sentence of three sentences explaining what was fixed. It makes sense on its own.

That being said, I don't see why they wouldn't look to see how others fixed it to fix their own. Though I would rather they give credit and say "thanks to ____ for showing us how to do it" or something. I don't really get the ego thing and makes me not like them overly much.

Also, not sure how needed this thread is. Seems a bit flame-baitish. Be a bit careful in calling other people names, please X'D.

Last edited by osaka35, Nov 20, 2018
    nachuz likes this.
  30. jakkal
    This message by jakkal has been removed from public view by Joe88, Nov 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Nov 20, 2018
  31. robingilh
    This message by robingilh has been removed from public view by Joe88, Nov 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Nov 20, 2018
  32. cyndor
    This message by cyndor has been removed from public view by Joe88, Nov 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Nov 20, 2018
  33. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Planeptunes Male CPU

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    duh if they say WE ALSO FIXED....doesnt mean they coded itself...they implement it and fixed their own "os"......simple as that.....TX Haters are annoying......(as well as free solution haters)....get a life damnit

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

normally i dont fkn care what others say but i see so many hate threads it is fkn annoying

NeoSlyde likes this.