GPD Win 2 officially detailed

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That thing looks horrible. I bet the build quality is poor as well like usual.

Honestly, the first one was utterly useless.
Playing skyrim at lowest settings at everything turned to lowest(getting around 25fps).. was the gaming experience really worth it?

I wish they would stop with these non-sense portable PC gaming. Mass production of something affordable and good simply doesnt exist yet. It is possible to have a portable PC gaming device, but it woudnt be cheap.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Mama Looigi

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Playing skyrim at lowest settings at everything turned to lowest(getting around 25fps).. was the gaming experience really worth it?

I wish they would stop with these non-sense portable PC gaming. Mass production of something affordable and good simply doesnt exist yet. It is possible to have a portable PC gaming device, but it woudnt be cheap.

Getting to that point takes work, and it takes $$. Can't make money if you're not selling the hardware. It's early, sure. Still a fairly impressive feat even if mediocre performance at best.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Atoms just aren't good for gaming, but now that Intel CPUs have gotten efficient enough that you can have fanless i5 CPUs there's a lot more potential for squeezing more power into a small package.

Not sure how much better that Core m3 is compared to the Atom-based model, but on paper it looks like it's about twice as fast in raw performance. That might not translate across to gaming though. GPU clock is 50% higher, and a newer generation, so presumably it would be at least 50% faster for games, if not more (depending on whether it's a GPU or a CPU bottleneck) That should be enough to get the FPS up to a usable level in at least Skyrim. It will still be pretty limited in what games it can actually run at a playable speed, but for a handheld, it should still be able to put out some good looking graphics.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Atoms just aren't good for gaming, but now that Intel CPUs have gotten efficient enough that you can have fanless i5 CPUs there's a lot more potential for squeezing more power into a small package.

Not sure how much better that Core m3 is compared to the Atom-based model, but on paper it looks like it's about twice as fast in raw performance. That might not translate across to gaming though. GPU clock is 50% higher, and a newer generation, so presumably it would be at least 50% faster for games, if not more (depending on whether it's a GPU or a CPU bottleneck) That should be enough to get the FPS up to a usable level in at least Skyrim. It will still be pretty limited in what games it can actually run at a playable speed, but for a handheld, it should still be able to put out some good looking graphics.
To be fair, even the atoms have come a long ways from day 1. My mom had a shitty dell netbook that had an early atom that was unbelievably slow. Nowadays it's pretty fast for basic usage. The core m series is good for a bit more. Can't place it at anything higher than low-mid gaming.

MasterControl90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy

The first gpd win isn't that bad but with a lot of design flaws, on it you can not pretend to play new or recent advanced games but it's perfect for 95% of modern Indies like cupheads, sonic mania, broforce and so on... Also a lot of PC gaming classics are getting remastered editions with modern os and Xbox controller support like outcast, turok, battlezone, grim Fandango and so on... In a nutshell there is a considerable amount of games that are perfectly playable already on win 1 and yes, the M3 SoC should be from 30 to about 50% faster and keep in mind that the same cpu is available on pricey devices like the new Xiaomi notebook and macbook 12.1.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of you people here have some high ass expectations! If you're already playing on a rig with 12+ gigs of RAM and a 4K ready GPU his might not be for you. For those of us with more realistic expectations and are down to Earth, this thing is pretty damn cool. So far, a guy in China,showing off an early build with GTA5 is claiming that he paid 500 to get a hold of it. Personally I'm more interested in Liliputing's article of the GPD XD2 (not to be confused with the XD+). If the XD2 does come out with a dual Os setup, that will be the perfect middle ground! I wish GPD the best. Hopefully the Win 2 will no release at a ball busting price. If that is the case, the Win 1 should be seriously dropped in price.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would anyone even consider this now that nintendo has made a proper high end handheld gaming device.
before yeah i could see a few nerds getting excited but in a post switch world this is a waste.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would anyone even consider this now that nintendo has made a proper high end handheld gaming device.
before yeah i could see a few nerds getting excited but in a post switch world this is a waste.

I like the Switch but Switch is not high end. Try comparing Doom on Switch vs playing the same game on the chipset for the GPD Win 2. At a reasonable price, this device will be good competition for the Switch.

MasterControl90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy

I expect the win2 to be priced somewhat around current switch price, will it have the same horsepower? On the gpu side it is not but, unless you are really into Nintendo games, the win2 can be a good alternative for various reasons:
1. If you are already into pc gaming you probably have tons of indie games on steam from super cheap humble bundles;
2. Cheaper indie games and a lot of classics already available;
3. Huge storage and upgradeable too
4. It is also a Windows machine and so it is way more flexible;
5. If you are into emulation you can do a lot with it.

It's not for anyone but there are enough reasons to consider it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...I was hoping this thread would be sort of a summary on what I've read on the internet so far (and hopefully add something extra), but it's more a bunch of rantings rather than a proper news reporting. :(

@BlackWizzard17 already posted one link: https://liliputing.com/2017/12/gpd-...w-design-6-inch-screen-core-m3-processor.html

IMHO, the thread with more info (linky) is even more interesting, especially the framerate comparison with the GPD Win1:

win2_01.jpg

While I'm in doubt on how exactly the numbers stack up (there's PLENTY of info to be found on how to squeeze extra horsepower from the GPD win1, so whether these tweaks are applied on either of these numbers remain to be seen), the specs show a significant upgrade on most if not all fronts:

-the CPU has gotten an overhaul
-memory and hard disk space is doubled
-the screen is increased from 5.5 to 6 inches
-the keyboard is centered and a tad larger than the original (really the only actual gripe I have with my gpd win)
-L3 and R3 are on the back now
-battery is improved, though it remains to be seen how the extra horsepower diminishes that advantage
-the microSD slot is apparently upgraded as well for faster throughput (this is hearsay from reddit)
-there's a vibration option now (erm...not something I care for, but it's there)
EDIT: -fans are apparently 8 times as the rate of GPD win (hopefully not 8 times as loud as well, because that'd be LOUD :P )

Those who want to know more might also be interested in these youtube series by The Phawx.

That thing looks horrible. I bet the build quality is poor as well like usual.
Erm...does this come from personal experience? :unsure:

I got in late, but while I've heard a couple horror stories on the initial batch, nothing really stood out. My own unit hasn't got a single issue, and TBH I never heard much issues over the GPD pocket either.

I really disagree with the former, but I can see why you say it. For me, the gpd win was and is a very good way for a specific set of games: visual novels, indie titles and older titles that are compatible with xbox360 controls (or take quite some tweaking). Oh, and great for emulation, though a hacked handheld unit can do the same thing.
I'm not really sure why "skyrim on the go" was something that a lot of gpd win adepts adored, as the switch version obviously matches and (I assume) directly outperforms it. Likewise, there are plenty of tech demos of games with framerates, but indeed: even if framerates are smooth, it's not really a match for a large screen.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I expect the win2 to be priced somewhat around current switch price, will it have the same horsepower?
Sorry, but I really don't believe the former. Nintendo can offer their device at a minimal profit, or even at a loss, because parts get cheaper when bought in large numbers, as well as that their software sales will make the endeavor profitable for them. Like it or not, but Shenzhen has a niche product. They won't be able to buy or generate the devices in such large numbers, and they really have to make a profit on the device as they don't sell software.
Besides: the switch costs about as much as a GPD win 1, which was released last year. This device is around 1.5 to twice as powerful. There's just no way they can offer the GPD win 2 at that same price point. I'm not a hardware expert, but if it goes at 399 bucks, it'll be VERY cheap for what you get.

On the plus side...I think that in horsepower, it'll be pretty even matched with the switch. Perhaps even better.

Last edited by Taleweaver,

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's actually an incredible leap in fps for overwatch, heck even in the other games too. It's a small device that runs a full version of Windows, emulation is going to be better as well as gaming. I don't see why there is so much hate just because The switch exist.

Last edited by BlackWizzard17,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Xiaomi Mi6 is much better: cost much less and run all GameCube games (and some Wii games)
*sigh*

I think I've just been trollbaited into looking up that thing. :(

-android instead of windows
-no microSD or (regular) usb
-(obviously) no gamepad or keyboard)
-price point comparable to gpd win / switch
-unlike what's suggested, the gpd win 1 can already play gamecube games at least reasonable

MasterControl90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
I really don't believe the former. Nintendo can offer their device at a minimal profit, or even at a loss, because parts get cheaper when bought in large numbers, as well as that their software sales will make the endeavor profitable for them. Like it or not, but Shenzhen has a niche product. They won't be able to buy or generate the devices in such large numbers, and they really have to make a profit on the device as they don't sell software.
Besides: the switch costs about as much as a GPD win 1, which was released last year. This device is around 1.5 to twice as powerful. There's just no way they can offer the GPD win 2 at that same price point. I'm not a hardware expert, but if it goes at 399 bucks, it'll be VERY cheap for what you get.

On the plus side...I think that in horsepower, it'll be pretty even matched with the switch. Perhaps even better.

Whoops! you're right, in my mind switch price was around 379 $/€

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
And now we have the price...

599 during Indiegogo
699 after Indiegogo

A big nope for me
Thanks, but...you're still not able to post links? :unsure:

Anyway, this seems to come from here (picked up on liliputing as well). While the actual indiegogo campaign launches on January 15th, this sounds like a credible source.

Granted: it's not much of a surprise (see my earlier post), but it's not really within my spending budget. I guess it'll depend on reviews, I guess (I mean...I already have a GPD win that suits my gaming needs :D ).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night