1. Teh H4rRy

Teh H4rRy GBAtemp Regular

I messed up a memory stick with Gparted, somehow i turned it into two logical drives...one 3.80GB and one 2MB.

2. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!
    Former Staff

Italy
    QUOTE([email protected] @ Aug 4 2009, 01:35 AM)
    Adding another tip to this:

From the recovery console, also try
    fixboot
    fixmbr

If only the MBR and/or the boot sector got erased (unlikely, as GParted doesn't do that) you can restore them with this.

Good luck again.

3. Ossot

Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I love all the indepth advice. As if someone who can't figure out gparted is going to remove his drive and plug it into another PC successfully.

Also, the kid did it almost 2 weeks ago. Way to bump.

4. sl33p

sl33p GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Now, you just erased your "whole compy". If Bill shot John we'd say "Bill shot John" not "The gun shot John". Likewise YOU erased your "compy". You used a tool and need to take responsibility for your actions, just like Bill.

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    He hasn't answered to this topic in quite a while. I say his dad killed him.

6. DKAngel

DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

PEBKAC [​IMG]

problem exists between keyboard and chair

7. mousex

mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Don't do it before trying Testdisk, you'll have to install windows again, all your apps and everything.
    Use Testdisk!!!.
    It'll find your partitions and write the information onto the hardrive, then you may have to run fixmbr an co.
    If it worked you'll have your "compy" back like it was before.
    If not you can still try a data recovery, but I have to say that I could recover about five harddrives were just the partiton table was messed up, no need for recovery tools. It just doesn't help if you reformat partitions or if the hard disk is physically damaged, then you'll have to use recovery software or send it to a recovery company (for a few dollars per GB).

8. Pip_X

Pip_X GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    You guys really think a kid able to follow your instructions when he cannot even know how to use gfart?
    Why we even use gFART anyway? I used Windows Disk Management to do all the stuff without any problem.

9. Blue-K

Blue-K No right of appeal.

Swaziland
    (spam) Actually, GParted has a nice, and cleaner interface that Windoof Disk Management, and it's (in my opinion) easier to use. But if he can't even use GParted...is it so hard to compare the size of the HD, which are you going to erase? I mean, that's a typical child that shouldn't have Backups. Blame it on the App, not of the one between the PC and the Chair. That makes me angry.

Summary: Know what you're doing, or leave it.

(/spam)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Gparted, erased, whole