Hacking Gparted Live CD just erased my whole compy

Teh H4rRy

Trophies
XP
Country
pinesal said:
Did you get grounded? I want to know how you Dad reacted.

You can definitely fix the computer but most likely all the personal data is gone.

And don't feel too bad. I'm sure most of us have accidentally erased the wrong partition at one time or another. I know I have.

I messed up a memory stick with Gparted, somehow i turned it into two logical drives...one 3.80GB and one 2MB.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
QUOTE(jono@home @ Aug 4 2009, 01:35 AM)
TheJorsh said:
Hi everyone,
I'm writing this from my dad's computer right now.
I was trying to use the Gparted Live CD thing to add a partition to my external hard drive so I could use the USB loaders,
but somehow I ended up doing something wrong (even though I had printed out instructions before I started)
And now my (well, the family's. I don't actually have my own yet.) computer isn't working.
It starts, but it's stuck in the DOS like mode thing and it won't start up Windows XP like usual.
Since it said that when you use Gparted it erases everything on the drive, I guess it pretty much erased everything on the computer.
I know there's a way to restore it all but I don't know how to.
Can anyone tell me how to restore/fix it all?
I'm freaking out right now.
My dad's probably gonna be home soon and he'll be really mad and I don't know what to do.
I'd also like to know what exactly I did wrong so I can fix it later and be able to use the USB loader but this is more important right now.
Someone please help me!
cry.gif

is it saying NTLDR is missing on boot...

if so computer is booting from non bootable source.. so is likely you have formatted your hard disk.. use recovery software as already mentioned to recover data from it...
however if it isn't.. you could be in luck.. !!!

boot up with a windows xp prof setup cd.. (retail)

when loaded up, press R for recovery console..

Press 1 then enter to logon onto windows... input admin password (if any), then type CHKDSK C: /p.

Allow process to complete, then reboot..

this can repair many disk problems and can solve many windows boot up problems..
Adding another tip to this:

From the recovery console, also try
fixboot
fixmbr

If only the MBR and/or the boot sector got erased (unlikely, as GParted doesn't do that) you can restore them with this.

Good luck again.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love all the indepth advice. As if someone who can't figure out gparted is going to remove his drive and plug it into another PC successfully.

Also, the kid did it almost 2 weeks ago. Way to bump.

sl33p

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, you just erased your "whole compy". If Bill shot John we'd say "Bill shot John" not "The gun shot John". Likewise YOU erased your "compy". You used a tool and need to take responsibility for your actions, just like Bill.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Ok, here's what to do, if you want to recover ALL the data on the hard drive.

Bear in mind that this isn't a easy process, and can be quite difficult. If you get some help you might be able to pull it thru.

Be aware that after this you shouldn't haven't touched anything on the drive, something like a XP reinstall would destroy a lot of data and render the recovery more difficult.

1) Remove the HD from your PC.
2) Plug it in another (working) PC.
3) Get a software called "GetDataBack" from Runtime Software. Select the appropriate version for your HD (if it was formatted in FAT, get the FAT version, if it was formatted in NTFS get the NTFS version. I'd probably go on the NTFS version, since it has XP on it, and it's probably quite recent) - Also, don't ask for it here. Use Google, or buy it.
4) Install it on the PC you have plugged your HD in. DO NOT INSTALL IT on the HD you're trying to recovery.
5) Run it, and select "use default settings", select the drive you need to recover from the "Physical Drives" list. There's no need to select a partition, just select the entire drive.
6) Let it do its magic. It'll firstly do Phase 1, where it'll find "traces" of old partitions. Select the ones with the green dot. It should be only one, usually. Press Next again, and you'll be in the File Recovery part.
7) I advise you to save your current progresses. Press "File" and select "Save Recovery". That will make you avoid doing Phase 1 and 2 all over again.
8) Start saving dirs and files. Select one, and press "COPY". Then save them over to the PCs HD or a USB drive. The important thing is that you don't save them DIRECTLY on the HD you're trying to recover files from.

After you have saved everything, you can plug the HD back in the PC it comes from and format it directly using the XP install CD.

Good luck.
Don't do it before trying Testdisk, you'll have to install windows again, all your apps and everything.
Use Testdisk!!!.
It'll find your partitions and write the information onto the hardrive, then you may have to run fixmbr an co.
If it worked you'll have your "compy" back like it was before.
If not you can still try a data recovery, but I have to say that I could recover about five harddrives were just the partiton table was messed up, no need for recovery tools. It just doesn't help if you reformat partitions or if the hard disk is physically damaged, then you'll have to use recovery software or send it to a recovery company (for a few dollars per GB).

Pip_X

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
You guys really think a kid able to follow your instructions when he cannot even know how to use gfart?
Why we even use gFART anyway? I used Windows Disk Management to do all the stuff without any problem.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Pip_X said:
You guys really think a kid able to follow your instructions when he cannot even know how to use gfart?
Why we even use gFART anyway? I used Windows Disk Management to do all the stuff without any problem.
(spam) Actually, GParted has a nice, and cleaner interface that Windoof Disk Management, and it's (in my opinion) easier to use. But if he can't even use GParted...is it so hard to compare the size of the HD, which are you going to erase? I mean, that's a typical child that shouldn't have Backups. Blame it on the App, not of the one between the PC and the Chair. That makes me angry.

Summary: Know what you're doing, or leave it.

(/spam)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol