GP2X

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by TLSpartan, Apr 21, 2007.

Apr 21, 2007

GP2X by TLSpartan at 9:58 AM (2,741 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. TLSpartan
    OP

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Hey Tempers

Im just wondering is the GP2X worth it. It looks pretty cool and it has great emulators for it. Does anybody here own one. Sooo, basically i just want to konw if its any good GP2X.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    A friend of mine grabbed one a few months back, emulation is great (the only thing it does not have over the PSP is ps1 not to mention the emulators that do exist are nigh on flawless and well supported) and multimedia is not half bad either (if you have half a clue what you are doing I dare say it is better than the PSP and naturally leaves the DS standing).

The only real detractor, assuming you are not terribly self conscious, as I see it is the controls take a week or so to get used to and coming from the DS the lack of touchscreen is noticeable.

In short the gp line is damn good and if emulation is you thing then go for it.

3. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    thanks FAST6191. Ill get it for my birthday in 5 months(or sooner if I get a part time job at my local IGA)

4. Wolfsclaw

Member Wolfsclaw GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    I got one and i recommend it if you definitely like emulators. It emulates GBA almost perfect, SNES almost perfect, genesis _perfect_ and loads of other consoles. The homebrew scene is the best i know (10x better than the ds one btw), and everyone is somehow much more friendlier and less noob-like than in other handheld scenes. Actually i dont use it that much anymore because of the upcoming ds games, but its definitely great for those things mentioned + watching movies etc.
    You can actually plug the whole thing into TV so you have tv-out or with a breakoutbox (which is still to be released) you can plug usb-stuff in it like external harddrives, a mouse etc. however these things will only work if you got the right gp2x drivers installed, but hdd works out-the-box.

5. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    Tell you the truth it was in someones sig here. I forget their name but I know they live in Germany. I had already heard good things about the GP2X when I searching for emulators for the DS.

6. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    It was OrR's sig

300th post.HURRAH

7. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    how fitting [​IMG]

8. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    I heard that there will be some new models of the GP2X/a new Gamepark Holding handheld released sometime. Is this true? The mainb problem I see with the GP2X is really the hardware design, the fact that the memory card sticks out and it uses AAs bothers me a bit and I can wait for that.

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There are battery packs available (why there is one on The Last Spartan's link) but I am quite confused about the not liking conventional batteries.

With regard to a new model there is the xgp supposedly appearing as the GP32's true successor: the gp2x is made by a company that split from the original but even it has only been out just under 2 years.

10. Nenyana

Newcomer Nenyana Advanced Member

I have had a GP2X just after it ws first released. I found I really hated the control so I tried two upgrades, still I found the control useless. I even used a PlastiDip coated joystick / pad and the control was still crap. I have a Psp, a DS Lite and of course the GP2X. I use the Psp the most and I find I never use the GP2X at all unfortunately. If you are into emulation and you can get hold of a Psp from 1.5 to 3.03 firmware I could never honestly recommend a GP2X at all.

The emulators are good on the GP2X but on the Psp I have been enjoying full speed PS1 that is updated by Sony with more games working and glitches fixed most of the time and I love the full speed GBA. Apart from all of this I also enjoy some of the commercial games, especially Burnout, Tekken, Mortal Kombat etc etc.

11. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Conventional batteries=short battery life. But then again, the PSPs life is about that short and it uses Li...so maybe they're not so bad :S.

Just looked up the XGP, and it seems that Gamepark went bankrupt so it may never be released T_T. That thing looked really smexy, and so did the GPX mini (though for the mini it looks like they used GBM bodies for it or something, lolz).
    But whatever, as long as Gamepark Holdings doesn't die as well.

12. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I got one when they first came out, then decided to sell it last month. They never got the screen right on the first version. The homebrew scene seemed to grind to a halt and the joystick (Even the replacement one I got) made it difficult to play the games. They've upgraded the GP2X since, another downfall is you need to buy good rechargable batteries to use it.

Some good things you can watch xvid and divx without the need to convert them. You can also get some tv out leads so you can play emulators or watch videos on a proper tv.

13. ConraDargo

Member ConraDargo Flashback Fanatic

Sweden
    This review is what convinced me into getting one and I'm positive that it'll have the same effect on you [​IMG] The best thing about that review is that Craig (the author) updates the article on a regular basis - like if there's a new emulator out or one of the already existing gets an update.

Read it and get hooked!

14. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I really don't see why you would bother getting a GP2X over a PSP, if you think the emulation is better then you obviously haven't used PSP emulation. The PSP runs GBA, SNES and Genesis all perfect additionally you get PS1 emulation (dope), N64 emulation is getting better and you can play free PSP games.

Additionally there is tonnes of other homebrew available. Where is the GP2X advantage??

15. Burbruee

Member Burbruee GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    It doesn't stick out, don't know what you're talking about. [​IMG]

16. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    What about N64 emulation. Does it exist on GP2X. Are there any other emulators out there for the GP2X that aren't on Craigs review

17. Wolfsclaw

Member Wolfsclaw GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    First off, you seriously should go to www.gp32x.com and ask there, i'm sure people will help you and you got more that know more about the handheld than here.
    For n64 - no, won't happen. remember it has 99mhz (i think) and special 3d hardware which makes it almost impossible to get one running and if, it would never be playable.
    PSX's coming alone nicely but of course its no comparison to what the PSP has. Check the threads @ gp32x and the newer videos on youtube to get impressions.

18. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Seriously get a PSP, you'll get as many emulators and have the ability to play PSP games.

I fail to see the GP2X's advantage, except for maybe video playback.

19. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    The GP2X is cheaper as well and it uses CHEAP SD cards.

20. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    The memory card does not stick out? Huh. I've just seen pictures where it has...

@MC DUI: Do you have a GP2X? Only someone with both can truly say that one is better than the other...