Government wants unique internet IDs for all americans.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DIGI0009.jpg

The Obama administration plans to announce today plans for an Internet identity system that will limit fraud and streamline online transactions, leading to a surge in Web commerce, officials said.

While the White House has spearheaded development of the framework for secure online identities, the system led by the U.S. Commerce Department will be voluntary and maintained by private companies, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity ahead of the announcement.

Most companies have separate systems for signing on to e- mail accounts or conducting secure online transactions, requiring that users memorize multiple passwords and repeat steps. Under the new program, consumers would sign in just once and be able to move among other websites, eliminating the inconvenience that causes consumers to drop many transactions.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Seems this is like a version of OpenID they'll push for online transactions (what categories and if it includes something like ebay, we don't know yet). It's said to be optional and done by privately-run companies.

This doesn't seem that smart to me, though. It introduces a central point of failure in that you only have one login to many sites. This is quite a no-no security-wise, I'm surprised they're considering it.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I doubt this could go into play for so many reasons. One being a big reason, there are millions of people in America and millions of people on the Internet. Boiling it all down, that is a lot of unnecessary work for something completely pointless.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
I doubt this could go into play for so many reasons. One being a big reason, there are millions of people in America and millions of people on the Internet. Boiling it all down, that is a lot of unnecessary work for something completely pointless.

I don't doubt anything and can see this trying to be pushed thru by both parties. Social security numbers are already in place for all americans born here.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever happened to privacy....I rather deal with the dangers of less security then have everything I've ever done on the internet available at a moments notice...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
431unknown said:

I don't doubt anything and can see this trying to be pushed thru by both parties. Social security numbers are already in place for all americans born here.
I don't doubt myself, but really this just doesn't seem like a logical thing to do. Not to mention the work needed behind it, shouldn't they be putting all that work and money behind something more important, like the war we are in, trying to fix up the country, you know real shit that needs to be done?

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More Obama fascism. The federal government is inching to regulate free speech and clamp down on the internet and regulate blogs, light bulbs, and every other aspect of life while destroying the economy. I'm for small government less regulation and maximum freedom.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its either freedom and danger...or security and control......the government can't seem to find a balance there unfortunately....

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:

I don't doubt myself, but really this just doesn't seem like a logical thing to do. Not to mention the work needed behind it, shouldn't they be putting all that work and money behind something more important, like the war we are in, trying to fix up the country, you know real shit that needs to be done?
I was thinking the same thing. " Could this money go somewhere more important?" Leave are freedom alone :'(

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
431unknown said:

The American government doesn't really care about anything that's actually important.

Anyway congrats to America for trying to reinstitute the IP address in a way that allows for very personal censorship. Don't like what that blogger wrote about Obama? We now know exactly who he is.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:

I'm not trying to make fun of or put down any ones intelligence but if you or any one else really thinks that any one in government really cares about you, me or the other little guy's privacy we are all idiots. They don't care about us ( maybe a few do but most don't) and if more and more of our freedoms are stripped from us where do we flee? If shit like this can be passed into law in America it has already be passed into law else where or soon after. I have a small son who I'd like to see grow up as I did, not free do do as he see's fit with in the boundaries of common sense law not fearful of overly intrusive law.

I know I posted something that may seem controdictive to this post in another thread but both can coexist.

I'd rather face the dangers than give up any of my freedoms. These are good words to live by for all Americans. Land of the FREE and home of The BRAVE.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fear Zoa said:
Its either freedom and danger...or security and control......the government can't seem to find a balance there unfortunately....

Or that a lot of people would rather have that little bit of danger and freedom. Rather live now than put off living in fear.

Man the worlds so called free governments need to stop looking for short term, opinion poll pleasing shit and get the balls to plan for the long term.

I just really think it's a shame you lot have it better on the internet freedoms side while getting demonised because people actually pick up on the shit that's happening.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Good. The government is now our internet police, observing all our social websites, gaming forums, including what we pirate. Bravo to the nation that our paranoia has cause us to be more strict with regulations that traps the individualism of our thoughts! WOE UNTO US to talk about anything against this capitalist country, we live off the almighty dollar. Don't be a hypocrite about their actions unless you're against the establishment that given the government power in the first place, US THE PEOPLE!

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I cant honestly see this making it through, it's quite possibly the biggest security risk that has been proposed. Essentially, we would be taking a decades step backwards.

I fail to see how this limits fraud, it actually makes it easier. Oh lookie, I found your password, which is the same for all of your online bank accounts and stuff. Shopping spree here we go..

No...just...no.

Our government has far outlived any usefulness that could ever come from it. It's nothing more than a political moshpit in a giant-ass pile of shit hell bent on being the most worthless thing in existence.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
PoweredByTux said:
I cant honestly see this making it through, it's quite possibly the biggest security risk that has been proposed. Essentially, we would be taking a decades step backwards.

I fail to see how this limits fraud, it actually makes it easier. Oh lookie, I found your password, which is the same for all of your online bank accounts and stuff. Shopping spree here we go..

No...just...no.

Our government has far outlived any usefulness that could ever come from it. It's nothing more than a political moshpit in a giant-ass pile of shit hell bent on being the most worthless thing in existence.

More bluntly... I could not have put it. You hit the nail right on the head my friend.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
431unknown said:
PoweredByTux said:

No...just...no.

More bluntly... I could not have put it. You hit the nail right on the head my friend.

Ego + 10
happy.gif

*Smugmode*

I've never hit the nail right on the head before...
yay.gif

Also, wouldn't enacting such a system break the law of free speech. Since it would potentially allow for censorship or persecution of those that present their own ideals and values.

Oh, I don't like that you are talking smack about President WhoGivesADamnWhatHisOrHerName is. We'll just get your ISP to terminate your internet access, maybe send the FBI/CIA/WhateverTheFuckOrganization to raid your house, etc.

America is fast turning into China.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup