• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Government class instruction comparing Obama to Hitler draws public ire in Baldwin County (Alabama)

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 4,990
  • Replies 77
  • Likes 1

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it all boils down to this teacher needs to be pinkslipped for even suggested these garbage books but Alabama is normally Red politically so they won't bat an eye i guess

I think they already crossed the 'disciplinary measures' line with the guy last year if I read all that correctly. So yeah, he needs to be dismissed. Maybe he can get a job at that 'university' Rush Limbaugh hawks for.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it all boils down to this teacher needs to be pinkslipped for even suggested these garbage books but Alabama is normally Red politically so they won't bat an eye i guess
If I am teaching history then having to beat into my students that they need to consider the reliability of the source is paramount. Might there not be an equivalent here? Or do we teach higher level students of politics that everything is a happy hugfest all the time?

Reactions: DarthDub

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I am teaching history then having to beat into my students that they need to consider the reliability of the source is paramount. Might there not be an equivalent here? Or do we teach higher level students of politics that everything is a happy hugfest all the time?
I'm not sure you read the list of books/are familiar with the authors if you're suggesting that any kind of responsibility for objectivity remains with the students in this case

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure you read the list of books/are familiar with the authors if you're suggesting that any kind of responsibility for objectivity remains with the students in this case

I have only read a few on that list, and most of those you could probably guess. At this point I have not looked up the remainder on the list but I am not sure it is all that relevant for even if they were some seriously extreme shit my position is not terribly likely to change.

Maybe if it was a plain old English reading list or something like that you may wish to raise an eyebrow at least but high level politics seems fairly fitting.

"comparing Obama to Hitler"
A patently absurd notion from where I sit, however it appears to be something out there so why not learn about it?

Reactions: DarthDub

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am genuinely curious, is having beliefs different that differ from left-leaning beliefs something worth of being ridiculed and/or publicly shamed for or intrinsically wrong? (In other words, is having right-leaning political beliefs, which differ from left-leaning beliefs, something worthy of being ostracized or shamed from others for?) I really want to know, as I'm getting that impression from political discussions as a whole. The other side of media would like for one to believe it's immoral and makes you evil if you do.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What an odd statement. Leaving aside that definitions of left and right, and indeed common talking points thereof*, vary dramatically between places my general policy is can you try to back up your positions. Following the crowd "just because" would be a bad thing from where I sit.

*no UK politician cares much about abortion, none are likely to ever say scrap public healthcare (indeed what are arguably the most right wing had a rather silly phrase on the debate on the exit from Europe about funding said public healthcare with the balance), big government and small government is not really a thing. This however may be an example of things being mired in dogma which is a problem for every flavour.

Media. They long ago figured out fear sells and as they have to sell things to survive then so it goes. Fear of the unknown is good. Sex also sells so throw a bit of that in. The world is complex but if you can make it a binary thing, no matter how silly that is, and both in politics* and in news you then face a trend to have to be more and more that.

*the US right wing currently has something of a problem with their incumbents either suffering the spoiler effect from someone even more right wing or outright being replaced by said same.

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's so much wrong with what you just said, it's literally illegal to indoctrinate students to Islam in public schools, we have a Constitution that separates church and state. You literally have no idea what you're talking about. If you find an example of a teacher doing that, you can call the school board and get them fired.

Also, aren't you the guy that said that everyone who doesn't support Trump is a communist?

Please stop commenting in political threads, you don't exaclty enrich the conversation. Please take my advice and read some newspaper articles written from the point of view of the party you hate, you really need to learn more about viewpoints that aren't your own.
http://www.politifact.com/florida/s...-department-education-introduce-islamic-indo/
And why yes I am the one that said that!

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The irony of you linking that particular website as SUPPORT of your claim just fucking obliterated my grip on reality

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am genuinely curious, is having beliefs different that differ from left-leaning beliefs something worth of being ridiculed and/or publicly shamed for or intrinsically wrong? (In other words, is having right-leaning political beliefs, which differ from left-leaning beliefs, something worthy of being ostracized or shamed from others for?) I really want to know, as I'm getting that impression from political discussions as a whole. The other side of media would like for one to believe it's immoral and makes you evil if you do.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with teaching from a right or left perspective, nor is there anything wrong with holding views opposing the opposite party, so long as they aren't going to harm someone. The issue here is that this teacher is assigning reading that effectively says "economic conservativism is the only valid political stance and if you're a progressive you're an actual moron"

Reactions: ThisIsDaAccount

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The irony of you linking that particular website as SUPPORT of your claim just fucking obliterated my grip on reality

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There is absolutely nothing wrong with teaching from a right or left perspective, nor is there anything wrong with holding views opposing the opposite party, so long as they aren't going to harm someone. The issue here is that this teacher is assigning reading that effectively says "economic conservativism is the only valid political stance and if you're a progressive you're an actual moron"

Okay, that's all I wanted to know, fair enough.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, all beliefs should be celebrated as long as they respect others. Right-leaning beliefs aren't worse, they're just another way of approaching an issue

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, all beliefs should be celebrated as long as they respect others. Right-leaning beliefs aren't worse, they're just another way of approaching an issue

I'm extremely wary of expressing said views due to the potentiality of being attacked for expressing, so I've been forced to b very cautious. The mainstream media wishes to paint the opposing side as the enemy.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not true, beliefs that involve harm towards a group of people should be discouraged by any means necessary. Otherwise I agree with you

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm extremely wary of expressing said views due to the potentiality of being attacked for expressing, so I've been forced to b very cautious. The mainstream media wishes to paint the opposing side as the enemy.
I honestly do kinda feel the same way, a lot of the people where I used to live were conservative and watched Fox News/Breitbart/stuff like that, things that aren't very kind to left-leaning people.

I started to be a bit more vocal because of a classmate I had. He had very right-leaning views but was very open to debating them, and he was nice to me when I explained mine. A lot of people gave him a hard time for his, even other right-leaning people, but, to his credit, he stuck to his guns and he was quite open about hearing others' views.

I disagree with his views a lot, but I've tried to hsve the same approach, which is basically "respect those who disagree, but ignore those who disrespect".

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fox News is also mainstream, so there is no "opposing side," mainstream media covers liberals and conservatives. I've had this discussion on this site before, but none of the rest combined (MSNBC, CNN, CBS, etc) can equal up to one Fox News in terms of the power they hold. Fox skips the middle-man and just talks to Trump directly in a lot of their shows now.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum