got XBOX 360!! now what??

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by C175R, Aug 13, 2010.

Aug 13, 2010

got XBOX 360!! now what?? by C175R at 11:24 PM (1,879 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. C175R
    OP

Member C175R GBAtemp Pirate

United States
    So I just got an xbox 360 (from craigist) but Im really new to this...
    apparently its not modded or banned.
    but when I try to connect it online it asks for an update. should I do it?
    if i do the update, will I still be able to softmod it?
    help pleaseee

2. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    if it is already updated beyond a certain date, then go for it on the update.. this late in the game, kinda doubtful that you'd be able to jtag it. just check your version in the system menu and do a google search to see what version you're able to jtag to.

if you want to play games online I'd suggest never modding it and just buying the games you like

if you mod the system and download too many games, you will never really play it. it will just sit powered down. just my experience.

3. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I'm afraid of this. I hope I don't lose interest in my 360.

4. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Piracy ruins the experience of a system. Tis the plight of the pirate.

5. C175R
    OP

United States
    the dashboard says
    i dont know what day is it tho. nor if thats a firmware lol

6. Delta517

Member Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Norway
    To JTAG a Xbox 360, you have to have firmware 2.0.7371.0 or lower, which you don't, so updating for you is safe. [​IMG]

7. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    If you update you'll still be able to flash your DVD drive, it's just that taking a flashed DVD drive onto LIVE isn't safe and will most likely get your console banned.

8. C175R
    OP

United States
    oo ok ill just update it and look for a guide to softmod it.
    thank you [​IMG]

9. C175R
    OP

United States
    So i just found out I have lite-on(since there is a yellow cable) but when I search for tutorials on google I find tutorials for Lite-On (74850C)/BenQ (62430C and 64930C)
    and etc. what are those numbers and where do i find mine?? please help!

10. C175R
    OP

United States
    Can someone explain me whats going on on this picture?
    http://i35.tinypic.com/ilexz7.jpg
    the instructions says
    Now you must connect your key retriever to your com port or to motherboard as i do(shown in picture).

Im completly lost in here since I dont know where to connect nor what to connect.
    help pleaseee

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    First the 360 DVD has various numbers on the label on the top- use these to tell what you have. The other methods you mention are just tricks to try and see without opening the 360 case up.
    Different drives have different quirks involved in flashing them (all of them though see you dump the original firmware/keys, make a new hacked firmware by injecting the keys and flashing it back).

Liteons can be a bit tricky as there are 4 versions (ignoring the slim)
    7 series
    8 v1
    8v2
    9 series

All four of these can be flashed but the last two require a fair level of hardware modding compared to other drives (although all the models can use this method). Only the 8v1 can be done in software as it were.
    If it says com port it is probably talking about a liteon (most likely 7 series but could be any liteon using the lifted pin method).

Sparing you a technical explanation the key you need to make the hacked firmware is transmitted across the drive at a point and you need to have your probe in the r707 hole during this time to capture it ( http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=668247 has some pictures). The simple probes do this using a serial probe and the more advanced/more user friendly ones use USB.

Before going further I say we take it slowly for a minute or two and you read something like the guides found in the jungleflasher guides and tutorials section
    http://www.jungleflasher.net/downloads.html

12. C175R
    OP

United States
    I think its V 7.
    it says FW ver 74850C
    model number dg 16d2s

13. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    In that case it is a v7
    You can use a probe like those mentioned or you can use a trace cut/pin lift method (I would go for the probe myself).

14. C175R
    OP

United States
    mm whats probe? or key retriever? where can I get those?
    sorry im really new to xbox

15. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I already linked a homebrew one if you want to make it, some people also use a nokia USB to phone cable as those can act as probes with a few minor modifications. They do work but if you are not familiar with electronics (troubleshooting) then it might not be the best idea.

After this you can pick up a probe at any number of mod chip/flash cart type sites, DX even still carry them http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.608~page.2 http://www.modchip.ca/store/home.php?cat=284 has some, http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/default.php?cPath=56 has some and the list goes on and on. They are quite pricey (a setup will probably run you just over the price of a new game) but they do the job.

16. C175R
    OP

United States
  17. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    That looks like a cable someone turned into a probe (there is probably about $5 of parts there at most) but yeah it should work. You can power the DVD drive from the 360 itself (one of the other functions of those somewhat pricey kits) so that is not a problem, just remember to put a wire/some electrical connector between the 360 and PC case.

The 7 series liteon (well all liteons) are somewhat less fussy than other drives when it comes to the sata chipset you are using- via 6421 or nvidia nforce beyond 3 series boards usually do it ( http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html will tell you what you have).
    http://www.google.com/products?q=via+6421 has a bunch of cards as do many retailers if you need them and they usually run $10 to $15 US

You will only need to dump the firmware once (as any guide will say make sure you look after the keys) but to update the DVD firmware you will need to pull the 360 apart again (the DVD drive stays in one piece for updates though)

18. C175R
    OP

United States
    ok. thanks a lottt!! your the best!! [​IMG]

19. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Destroy the Xbox360! DESTROY IT!