Homebrew Got Wii UAE and Amiga forever, what do i do next?

David80008

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got Wii UAE installed, Got me a recent copy of Amiga forever. Now what do i do now? I understand it involves finding a kickstart ROM of some sort and putting it somewhere within the folder structure. Hoping to run it in Amiga 1200 mode. Any help would be much appreciated as i can't seem to find a definitive guide on this.

Thanks, David

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Got Wii UAE installed, Got me a recent copy of Amiga forever. Now what do i do now? I understand it involves finding a kickstart ROM of some sort and putting it somewhere within the folder structure. Hoping to run it in Amiga 1200 mode. Any help would be much appreciated as i can't seem to find a definitive guide on this.

Thanks, David
Hm, I can't help you precisely on the directory structure (look out in the readme for that!) but you need the .ROM files on the Amiga Forever CD. Also, the .key file.

Amiga Forever kickstart files are encoded a bit differently than the normal Kickstarts, so you have to hope that Wii UAE supports it (never tried it, so I dunno).

If it doesn't, then Google is your only chance (they're named kick13.rom, kick20.rom, kick30.rom or kick31.rom usually) ;)

David80008

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, got a bunch of kickstart roms, picked one, renamed it, put it in the right folder. UAE runs but all i get is a blinking black screen with led's at the bottom. Mounted a game on df0....nothing.

What should i do now?

David80008

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have installed the latest version, got a kickstart ROM and renamed it and put it in the right place. When UAE starts up it just flickers black and has a bunch of coloured LED's at the bottom of the screen. Tried to mount games in df0 but nothing happens.

Any help would be much appreciated.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What version of WiiUAE are you using? Are you using 0.9 from Wiibrew? I have kickstart 3.1 working okay from USB as we speak(named kick.rom, stored in /uae/roms). It seems like you have to reboot UAE from the menu(using the restart UAE option) once you insert a disk, for it to get a game booting.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Right, got a bunch of kickstart roms, picked one, renamed it, put it in the right folder. UAE runs but all i get is a blinking black screen with led's at the bottom. Mounted a game on df0....nothing.

What should i do now?
Well, the kickstart screen should appear, at least I think so :unsure:

If you're using the Amiga Forever ones, then try to grab another from the internet (which this time won't be encoded). It looks like it isn't reading the kickstart.

EDIT: Btw, I merged the two threads, since they're about the same problem.

David80008

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the response and for merging the threads. Wasn't sure my first topic was in the right place. Anyhoo....

Got a complete Kickstart pack from the interwebz, had like 8 choices for 3.1 and I picked one, renamed it and placed it accordingly. Same problem. Red LED just flickers away as does the screen. Tried mounting the game and resetting, no avail. Tried multiple games. Tried messing around with the options and not really sure what i should be using. One thing is that when i attempt to change hardware from A500 to A600 or A1200(My preference), it crashes.

Is there a specific 3.1 kickstart from the 8 i should be using? Am I missing anything?

Any help would be much appreciated as always, Thanks again.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for the response and for merging the threads. Wasn't sure my first topic was in the right place. Anyhoo....

Got a complete Kickstart pack from the interwebz, had like 8 choices for 3.1 and I picked one, renamed it and placed it accordingly. Same problem. Red LED just flickers away as does the screen. Tried mounting the game and resetting, no avail. Tried multiple games. Tried messing around with the options and not really sure what i should be using. One thing is that when i attempt to change hardware from A500 to A600 or A1200(My preference), it crashes.

Is there a specific 3.1 kickstart from the 8 i should be using? Am I missing anything?

Any help would be much appreciated as always, Thanks again.
Rename your roms accordingly:
A1000: uae/roms/amiga-os-120.rom (or) uae/roms/kick12.rom
A500: uae/roms/amiga-os-130.rom (or) uae/roms/kick13.rom
A600: uae/roms/amiga-os-205.rom (or) uae/roms/kick205.rom
A1200: uae/roms/amiga-os-310.rom (or) uae/roms/kick31.rom

Dir "UAE" goes in the root of the SDCARD. Select the system you want to emulate from the options (or manually configure the uaerc config file, if there's a uaerc.saved it'll use that instead) and try starting it again.

Reactions: p1ngpong

David80008

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I got all 4 roms, renamed them, put them in the correct folder and when I start it says failed to find kick.rom.

Do I need a ROM called Kick.ROM as well as the numbered ones?

Does it matter which revision of each ROM I use?(2 choices for 1.2, 2 choices for 1.3, only 1 for 2.05 and 8 for 3.1)

Sorry for being a complete noob here, this is the only emulator i have had trouble with. Thanks for your time :-)

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, I got all 4 roms, renamed them, put them in the correct folder and when I start it says failed to find kick.rom.

Do I need a ROM called Kick.ROM as well as the numbered ones?

Does it matter which revision of each ROM I use?(2 choices for 1.2, 2 choices for 1.3, only 1 for 2.05 and 8 for 3.1)

Sorry for being a complete noob here, this is the only emulator i have had trouble with. Thanks for your time :-)
Don't worry :) If I had the time to use my Wii, I'd test it myself.

Are you sure you've got the latest version from WiiBrew?

Try downloading it from here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/UAE_Wii (direct link: http://uae-wii.googlecode.com/files/uae-wii-v9-bin.tar.gz ) - there's also a really nice "manual" of the sort to set it up :D

Lemme know!

EDIT:
Oh, here's what I was missing!
1. Copy everything from the "/Amiga Files/Shared/adf" directory on your Amiga Forever CD to /uae/roms/ on your SD card.

2. Copy /Amiga Files/Shared/rom/amiga-os-130.rom to /uae/roms/kick.rom on your SD card

Looks like Amiga Forever files are good, if you're using the latest version (v9)!

Reactions: 1 person

David80008

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I finally got it up and running, I jumped the gun before your post but thanks so much for the help.

Basically, I added the 4 ROMs you said and named them accordingly, but, I also had to copy the kickstart 1.3 ROM and name it simply kick.rom and everything works great.

One last question, Is there any downside to cranking all the memory options and floppy speed options as high as possible?

Thanks again :-)

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I finally got it up and running, I jumped the gun before your post but thanks so much for the help.

Basically, I added the 4 ROMs you said and named them accordingly, but, I also had to copy the kickstart 1.3 ROM and name it simply kick.rom and everything works great.

One last question, Is there any downside to cranking all the memory options and floppy speed options as high as possible?

Thanks again :-)
Don't touch things like Chipmem nor Slowmem except rare cases (1MB is fine for almost everything, old games might require 512KB+512KB Slow/Bogo Mem). If you feel like trying something powerful, go for 2MB Chip.
Most expanded Miggys had that much back then, and a lot of games use the additional memory for added things (see below).

You can add up to 8MB of Fast memory, which some games will use for speeding up loading times, additional gfx/sfx and other things. It's usually safe to keep them set on all the time, as it doesn't interfere much with the Amiga itself. SOME games might do funny stuff if it's on, so if a game doesn't run, try turning it off.

As for floppy speed, usually when you set 800%, you're asking for trouble. Most games with special loading techniques will fail, you'll experience resets and black screen often, and all that jazz.

If it has got a "Turbo" option, that's the best choice. It should speed it up massively, without breaking compatibility too much. 200% is also a good value (sometimes more compatible than Turbo).

As a rule of thumb: If something doesn't work, turn back to STOCK configuration (A500, A600, A1200) and see if it runs. VERY old games (85-87) might require an Amiga 1000. Every OCS games usually runs on Amiga 500 (the most compatible of 'em all), and AGA games require you A1200 (if the AGA chipset IS supported, I dunno about that). A600 is good for games that require Chipmem 1MB or Kick 2.05. But most games also run on A500 - only funny cracktros and wrong cracks might require you an A600. Or a game that specially uses ECS (they're rare).

That's it, I guess :D

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I found that 400/800% floppy speed tends to cause errors with certain floppy based apps, like Budbrain Megademo, so I'd stick to turbo or the lower ones.

David80008

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
One last WiiUAE related question, how do I go about creating a virtual blank disk to be used for save files? I know save states can be used but I'll need somewhere to store self created formations, careers, etc in SWOS.

Hope someone can help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn