Hacking Got two japanese new3DSXL. Both have NNID on it. What is the best I can do to change the language?

Nomado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Hi, I just got 2 new3DSXL. I don't know any Japanese so I would like to change the Language to english. I have some questions. Would appreciate if you would help me out.
1. They both have NNID so if I change my region. I will lose access to E-shop and updates for good right?
2. Is there any limitations to changing regions?
3. I hear region free games switch language to Japanese. I read about locale switcher. Does it work with latest firmware? How is the experience of using that?
4. I was hoping at least one of them would be without any e-shop access so I could get e-shop access on at least one of them once I changed region to US. Is there no workaround?
5.I also have 2 US region 3DS. Can I transfer updates from them to these 2 3ds once I change region?
6. Any way to change language of the menus without changing region by someway editing file?

What would you recommend I do with those 3ds-es? Should I CFW one and keep other stock or should I just hack both for good?

gempugs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3. Handful of games like Mario Kart require the region of the NAND to be totally the same in order to work for multiplayer. e.g. Two systems must be of US NAND for local play together of the US ver. of game. One system of US NAND with US region of the game and another of JP NAND but switched to US region using luma locale switcher won't work at all.

Will be glad to be proven wrong as I tried it at least a year ago, using one US system and another EU with US region of both games forced by locale switcher. The game won't detect the other one ever for local multiplayer.

Nomado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
3. Handful of games like Mario Kart require the region of the NAND to be totally the same in order to work for multiplayer. e.g. Two systems must be of US NAND for local play together of the US ver. of game. One system of US NAND with US region of the game and another of JP NAND but switched to US region using luma locale switcher won't work at all.

Will be glad to be proven wrong as I tried it at least a year ago, using one US system and another EU with US region of both games forced by locale switcher. The game won't detect the other one ever for local multiplayer.
Dang hoping to do 4 player local multiplayer if possible. I have US region and EUR region 3ds also.

But can you elaborate on NAND region? Are you talking about the case of installing US game on different region 3ds-s and making them same region with locale switcher or region switching 3ds itself and then installing US game?
My only experience was luma CFW installed US and EUR 3ds could play Streets of Rage 2 local multiplayer. But didn't change region or use locale switcher.

gempugs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang hoping to do 4 player local multiplayer if possible. I have US region and EUR region 3ds also.

But can you elaborate on NAND region? Are you talking about the case of installing US game on different region 3ds-s and making them same region with locale switcher or region switching 3ds itself and then installing US game?
My only experience was luma CFW installed US and EUR 3ds could play Streets of Rage 2 local multiplayer. But didn't change region or use locale switcher.
NAND region as in the default region came with the 3DS. So, US set = US, JP set = JP, EU set = EUR.
I am talking about the case of a few problematic games that happen to be also region free like Mario Kart, in which they won't work for local multiplayer even if you use locale switcher, unless you do the region switching stuff. Basically you can still hope of doing a 4 player local multiplayer, just make sure you region switch them completely to the region of your choice such as US/EUR for the EUR and JP 3DS-es.

Personally I have only tried Mario Kart but I assume games that are region free and allows for the DS Download Play function for other players without the game cart to play it may face the same issue as well, which is only a handful as I've mentioned. I forgot about the technical reason when I Googled for it but remembered the only way is to switch the region permanently (you can always revert it back with NAND backup.)
I would recommend you to just have all the 3DS switched to the same region of your choice and game on without further complications. Make a full backup of everything important so you can always revert it back to its default state for whatever reason and I would recommend creating separated folders named with the serial no. of the 3DS for easy recognition.

AFAIK, there's no other limitations to be worried about when you change the region of the 3DS if you strictly follow the guide.The only thing you need to worry is the disappointed face of your guests in for a blast of Mario Kart when it just won't work while you're frustratingly Googling for answers.

Edit: TL;DR: Regardless of the region the 3DS originally came with, get them to have same regions (US/EUR), via ctrtransfer (region switch). So it's either 4 US or 4 EUR 3DS for working local multiplayer of Mario Kart.

Last edited by gempugs,

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
About changing the system region of your console, the "guide" is rather clear:

Screenshot_20201016-144612_Opera.jpg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like what I'm reading here, and I'm not sure if I want to continue participating in this discussion past this post.

@Nomado, do your seller the courtesy of factory resetting both those n3DSXL and permanently deleting any SysNAND *.bin images that were backed up if these were recently hacked with custom firmware.

:!: Factory resetting will permanently erase the current user profile on the NAND and everything in the Nintendo 3DS folder on the SD card.
  • System SettingsOther SettingsFormat System Memory

Because the seller didn't remove his NNIDs, eShop accounts, and other personal info, that means you could masquerade as him/her in online play and download/steal free games if (s)he left behind an active credit card.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Nomado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Absolutely. That is what I intend to do. In my country, people forget to remove their NNID a lot. When I got my WiiU, the seller hadn't removed his account. I immediately did factory reset since I like to start my every new purchase fresh. Was same with my Vita.
These 2 3ds have both some purchases on them. But they are all in Japanese and since I have zero knowledge of the language, I would rather just reset and change the language to English. Otherwise Japanese writing system is to alien looking to me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I found this reddit post.
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/b5tuz0/method_for_making_a_region_changed_new_3ds_access/

It says that even when that 3ds had access to e-shop and had NNID. With 2 same region 3ds of same model, it is possible to change region of one and still get e-shop access. Anyone have tried this? Also would be nice to get an explanation on this.

With this method, do you it is somehow possible to get e-shop access on both? Or just one could get e-shop access?

Nomado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Quick update

I was able to change one of my 3DS to US region with E-shop access. Decided to keep the other one in its original region since I figured I really want New 3DS and never seen one being sold locally where I live. Importing from US is too expensive but on Japanese sites, they seem to be much cheaper. So I decided that I will import one from Japan and use the method that I used to make it US 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse