Got Switch Online?

download.jpeg

Nintendo's Online service launched last week for Switch, and we would like to know how many of you have signed up!

Please answer the poll and comment on what you think of Nintendo's new paid Switch Online service.

LuigiXL

Trophies
XP
Country
I have not. I think charging for a service that has been free for a year with minimal “features” that should be part of the console anyway is a poor decision. I get the argument “everyone else is doing it” but they are doing it pretty well for a long time with the incentive of “free” games for that platform every month. I think it will also steer a lot of parents/children away from the console as they might already have one online service paid for.
A cash grab that might cost them.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, at $20 a year it was mostly a 'why not' thing. Anxiously awaiting SSBU, and Excitebike bringing some of those nostalgia feels. Of course that's available for free on any number of emulators (and hacked Switches), but it's another multi-title in the library regardless.

Last edited by Xzi,

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really don’t know why people get so pissed over €20.
Yes, they screwed up Cloud Saves, NES games are kinda worthless, but still fun and the “special offers” are bullshit, I don’t see why people get so pissed making 5 videos in a row talking about how bad this service is.

Reactions: Briyoda
D

Deleted User

I really don’t know why people get so pissed over €20.
Yes, they screwed up Cloud Saves, NES games are kinda worthless, but still fun and the “special offers” are bullshit, I don’t see why people get so pissed making 5 videos in a row talking about how bad this service is.
because it's a scummy practice and should be free to begin with? as well as all the reasons you already pointed out?

i don't see how people like you try to defend things that shouldn't exist to begin with

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I only signed up because 20$ isn't that bad. At the same time I still think that there's just so much bullshit around it, like not being able to upload all of my saves and the fact that it's very clearly an unnecessary money grab
Also fuck the NES games, I seriously don't want more methods to play the same NES games again.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think the switch online feature is crap, it's a console marketed for it's portability yet Nintendo didn't think of giving it internet capabilities if your out an about with no access to Wi-Fi.

The switch itself is shit when it comes to downloading updates so I'd hate to see how it performs trying to play a game.

But what is there really worth playing online. Switch games as usual Nintendo is very limited.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Going to subscribe, but I've been waiting on any more developments with the Switch from hackers/homebrew. Running 5.1.0, and unless I'm mistaken, online requires 6.0. Almost went ahead with the newest SX OS update to prep for getting 6.0 on their "EmuNAND" solution, but folks that understand it believe it can cause an immediate ban. Just want the ability to run homebrew/emulators alongside being able to pay my legit games.

Reactions: PriMieon

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.

If the softmod for 4.1 is not out before October 5, I'll update to 6.0.0 and buy Switch Online.
If the softmod for 4.1 is out and there is a way to play new games on lower firmware, then no ^^

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

PriMieon

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Having three people in the 35 had dollar plan is only 12 use a year for each person. I get online cloud backup (although local should also be possible :/) for the games I least care about. My two games saves I would probably miss would be Splatoon 2 and Pokemon let's go when it launches.
And those two games don't support it

So I do get cloud backup but only shitty cloud backup.
But I think the nes app is actually pretty okay. I will wish I could buy the games though. But altogether I think Nintendo does hand out the money worth especially if you sign up for 35 USD and sign up 7 people making it 5 USD a year per person.

JamiePashley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not currently subscribed, but I will be though once I get Super Smash and Pokemon Let's Go
I don't mind paying £20 a year for online, cloud saves and NES games, however I'm hoping they add other consoles to the service such as SNES and N64

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If Nintendo somehow unbanned my console, I wouldn't mind 20 bucks a year.

But as it stands I'd have to wait for a homebrew solution that expands the Wi-Fi connectivity in a way that lets you do "local" multiplayer over the Internet. That's actually my personal "holy grail" regarding Switch hacking.

Last edited by Axido,

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
A good friend offered to add me to his family plan, that's the only reason I have Switch online now.

From what i've seen so far its nothing i'd be bothered about paying for myself.

1. Cloud saves might as well not exist as Nintendo won't backup saves the upcoming Pokemon Game, which is the one game i'd actually be bothered about loosing my save for.
2. Other platforms will backup and sync ALL your saves at no extra cost as standard without requiring payment.
3. The online service is as primitive as it's always been, requiring friend codes and a mobile app to voice chat.
4. The NES games are not a feature or selling point for me personally.

As always my relationship with Nintendo continues to be a love / hate one, I love some of the games they do, yet fail to understand many other things Nintendo do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: 80% is nintendrones