Got ripped off

ganons

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I sold my bros new n97 for £410 to buyer from usa and he said to ship to lithuania as a gift. So i sent phone off and the guy then says to paypal he made unauthorised payment. Paypal kept the money and a week later they saying the guy will get the money and the phone. Becuase i didnt ship to sellers address, i got screwed. This is becuase the buyer requested me to ship the phone as a gift, and paypal only protect sellers who ship to buyers registered address which i found out the hard way

The payment reached my bank account and i have -£400 in my papypal account and paypal want their money back!

DukeDizko

Trophies
XP
Country
1. That's really bad. I guess I'd contact a lawyer and/or talk to Paypal wether they had similar cases in the past, hopefully you still got all names and adresses.

2. This thread looks good on the Start-Page: I got ripped off by Law...

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Law said:
The fact he wanted you to send it to some crazy foreign country should have tipped you off that it was a scam.

your not helping are you really so please stay out the conversation if your not going to help, just keep telling pay pal you got scammed and keep pleading your case paypal, if worst comes to worst and you have to go to court i really doubt you will loose as you did get scammed
unsure.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Law said:
The fact he wanted you to send it to some crazy foreign country should have tipped you off that it was a scam.
That's an excellent point there. Could you make a list of the countries you deem "crazy" so that we can steer clear of them in our future business transactions?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Veho said:
Law said:
That's an excellent point there. Could you make a list of the countries you deem "crazy" so that we can steer clear of them in our future business transactions?

Croatia
smileipb2.png

Honestly anything that sounds a little strange is usually a tip off, especially if the buyer was in the USA. I mean would he have shipped it if the "buyer" had asked to send it to Zimbabwe? Probably not.

ganons

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
fiest time selling, he had about 2000 ish feedback so i thought it was ok

another guy tried to scam me from jamiaca with spoof emails but didnt fall for that

i told paypal that i have messages in my ebay inbox that he wanted the phone and wanted it shipped to lithuania but they say they cant accept that - damn crooks

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't ebay explicitly mention not to ship anywhere but the verified address on the paypal account? It did last time I sold something

El-ahrairah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vergilite said:
Law said:

your not helping are you really so please stay out the conversation if your not going to help, just keep telling pay pal you got scammed and keep pleading your case paypal, if worst comes to worst and you have to go to court i really doubt you will loose as you did get scammed
unsure.gif

You're not helping are you? Please stay out of the conversation if you're not going to help. Just keep telling PayPal that you were scammed and keep pleading your case. If worse comes to worse and you have to go to court, I really doubt you will lose, as you did get scammed.
unsure.gif

I'm helping!
biggrin.gif

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
vergilite said:
Law said:

unsure.gif

My assumption is that the OP was trying to make the people reading this thread more aware of the risks involved in selling items on ebay (etc.).

Law simply confirmed the obvious (to experienced sellers), but remember that those who'd learn from this thread are those who may not have sold many/any items online.

I see this as him trying to help as he's clearly mentioned exactly where the OP's "alarm bell" should have gone off.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
eh just have to be cautious everytime you sell on ebay. just sold an ipodtouch on ebay. the winner wanted it shipped to nigeria. straight away i reported the guy and did second chance offer.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
vergilite said:
Law said:

unsure.gif
If you don't receive your money or a product you have purchased with a PayPal account, PayPal can't do ANYTHING at all to help you, it's up to you to deal with the person who bought the item or you purchased an item from, especially when there is no insurance protection. eBay is the only place you can get buyer and seller protection. Also, you have to be downright dumb as hell to ship an item without the money clearing, especially if it's to an address that is not the same as the buyers.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, a general rule of thumb is to never ship to a country that you've never heard of before.
And the buyer had 2000 feedback? I can't blame you for trusting him, but you should definitely report this.

RhiGhost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That really sucks dude. Seems like stuff like this is happening far to often, I recentely sold something on eBay and got ripped off by PayPal to.
They are suppose to protect both buyer AND seller but its getting so bad that I rarely do any shopping or selling online anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr