Hacking Got my "N5 Revolution card" got some questions.

Xandu

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Just got my "N5 Revolution card" and I heard it's a clone/rip off of R4. But it doesn't have the same interface, does it?

Image101.jpg

What cart is that ripoff?

Ok some questions,
-Moonshell boots up but, it gives "not support adapter?" on .NDS files.
-Can I somehow run another card's OS on it?
-What are the disadvantages of this card?
-What games won't run on this?
-What must-have DS programs/games should I get? Since this is my first DS Flash Cart.

Thanks, more questions will be added later (when I think of them
tongue.gif
).

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it does look like the R4 interface, and the inability to load executables from Moonshell is shared with the R4.

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Xandu said:
Just got my "N5 Revolution card" and I heard it's a clone/rip off of R4. But it doesn't have the same interface, does it?

Yes, it does. Exactly the same - except this uses an unencrypted kernel, whereas the R4's is encrypted. Oh, and there's also the small matter of changing "R4DS" in the kernel to "N5DS". Huge changes, and an enormous development effort
rofl2.gif

Decrypt the R4's _DS_MENU.DAT using Yasu's r4dec.exe and it'll work perfectly on these. You can find it in the downloads section.

There are obvious hardware differences between this and the R4 - the R4 has one smallish chip, this thing has one smallish and one bloody huge one as they appear to have tried to emulate the R4's chip's functionality with what they could get their hands on. Depending on how perfect that emulation is, there's a possibility that Team R4 might be able to find a way to stop future version of their kernel working on the n5 - because the n5's makers aren't developing their own software, there's a chance these things could be orphaned.

These things are relatively cheap, but I'm not sure I'd let my friends get one until we've seen a few R4 kernel updates that continue to work on them. If you're happy with the compatibility that the R4 kernel gives you today, then these might be an okay purchase. Just don't count on these continuing to work with R4 kernel 1.17 or beyond, because if I was Team R4 I'd be doing everything in my power to stop my kernel working on these things. These things aren't a near-identical implemenation like the WiiKey clones - these are the result of reverse-engineering and use of different components, and there's a chance that they're a less-perfect implementation than their designers hoped.

Of course, there's the possibility that there's nothing Team R4 can do and these things will work properly with all future updates of the R4 kernel, or that it might take them a few updates to find something in the n5 they can exploit without breaking compatibility with all the legitimate R4 and M3Simply variants - but it's too early to tell just yet.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really like this part:
Xandu said:

[Insert pic of N5 menu here(which is identical to the R4 menu except the R4 logo replaced by N5)]

What cart is that ripoff?

Now thats good stuff.

xinster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have gotten sdhc on my n5 (i got the microsd from microcenter)
the only issue i've gotten with this card was that i ordered an edge card but gave me this
and also the cheats are displayed in chinese
oh yeah they didn't give me a installation cd either =.= they said that "since we come up with frequent updates we find it it unnecessary to send you one sorry for the inconvenience"
any help?

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xinster said:
I have gotten sdhc on my n5 (i got the microsd from microcenter)
the only issue i've gotten with this card was that i ordered an edge card but gave me this
and also the cheats are displayed in chinese
oh yeah they didn't give me a installation cd either =.= they said that "since we come up with frequent updates we find it it unnecessary to send you one sorry for the inconvenience"
any help?

I feel sorry for you dude. This cart is a bad one.....

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sir-Fritz said:
Lets just hope your ds still works after you've used it for a while.

It will MOST certainly fry the fuse in his DS after using for a while, there is a known problem with the MicroSD slot... ANY N5 user should see THIS LINK and either STOP using the N5 or make the nessacery repairs.

This is the only card that i can confirm as being an R4 clone that WILL "brick" your DS. I've found no evidence of any other clone doing it.

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Link5084 said:
Can't the N5 brick your DS?

read like 2 posts up from your question, yes, it has an issue with pins underneath the sd slot pushing into the pcb, but for those that insist on a fix, just need some soldering skills and a dremel to shorten the pins.

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heh, it looks like all R4 hexedit/injects/whatever will only ever solve problems with games most (well americans) wont play

Looking at an R4 game compatibility list wiki, it appears that mostly (J) or (K) games have issues, some (E)uropean, but those have (US) versions that are fine on R4. And even then, the ones ive tested that that site says need arm7 patching seem to work fine on my clone III.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
ozzymud said:
heh, it looks like all R4 hexedit/injects/whatever will only ever solve problems with games most (well americans) wont play

Looking at an R4 game compatibility list wiki, it appears that mostly (J) or (K) games have issues, some (E)uropean, but those have (US) versions that are fine on R4. And even then, the ones ive tested that that site says need arm7 patching seem to work fine on my clone III.

What happens if another game is released with similar protection to FF:CC. There's no way that any of the clone makers will be able to fix the problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.