Hacking got my ez4 lite/1GB TF ultra II...my impressions

teH XeRO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have to say i am very happy with my ez4 lite...all the roms i wanted to play work perfect...setting it up was a piece of cake. i dont think the plastic of the case is cheap..but it does come across as looking slightly cheap when the edges dont snap ALL the way together, but just barely and it doesnt effect it smoothly fitting into the gba slot without any kind of struggle...my one gripe is even with the TF slot filed down just a little bit i still have trouble getting the TF card out..cant get my fingers in there cuz its so small and i dont have what u could call useable finger nails lol..tweezers work fine now with the filed down TF slot (didnt even shave off more than a mm, took no more than 10 minutes to do) or just unscrewing the one screw to open it up to take out the tf card...i guess ill grow my finger nails just enough to pluck it out lol. other than that i couldnt give 2 craps about homebrew cept for nes emu (which works fine ive heard..havent tried it yet) and gba works well also...i love it
smile.gif
now to just pick up a g6 lite pro for kicks
smile.gif

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a sandisk normal 1gb, and there is NO slowdown in games, but the loading screens do take a few milliseconds longer to load. I have no idea why only in the loading screens, but not in actual gameplay.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a sandisk normal 1gb, and there is NO slowdown in games, but the loading screens do take a few milliseconds longer to load. I have no idea why only in the loading screens, but not in actual gameplay.

There are quite a few games with stuttering when they load into a level. You get stuttery music and micro pauses. A quick example is Metroid pinball and Hunters. There is a noticable difference when compared to Supercard, and yes the loading takes longer too between screens.

Considering the EZ4 was developed almost 3/4 of a year after it's competitors, it seems strange that it's actually slower in this respect. But maybe there is more tweaking to come.

CWar

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I've had major slow downs in Tony Hawk's American Sk8land. It's just on certain areas. Sometimes slows down, sometimes it doesn't. And in Animal Crossing as well. It's generally slow all over. I'm using the normal sandisk 1GB. I don't know if it actually slows down as well on the actual game, or any other flash carts.

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
i use standard 1 gib sandisk... the slowdowns are not major.. i havent seen stuttering audio/screen on the games i played (nsmb, texas hold'em, potc: dead man cest, prince of tennis, point blank, mm maybe i missed a few)

unless ur body clock can sense those micro second slowdowns, u'll be happy wif it..

ps: when u put the tf card dont push it all the way in.. just push it until it's not sticking out anymore,.. that'll ease the unplugging times...

teH XeRO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i havent noticed slow down..im using an ultra II 1GB sandisk TF...if there is slwodown its nothing to whine about like some ppl are...omg an extra millisecond of my time wasted when gameplay is fine...lol could care less works perfectly for what i wanted it for and so im happy...only thing is i figured for kicks id put the pcb in the other 2 shells they give you and i found it hard to actually fit them together with the pcb in it (the white shell it comes shipped in fits just fine) so idk why the other 2 shells are a pain in the neck to get the pcb in...but ill never be using them neway so i dont really care.

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if there is slwodown its nothing to whine about like some ppl are...omg an extra millisecond of my time wasted when gameplay is fine...lol could care less works perfectly
People who express themselves with this manner of eloquence are a large part of the reason I finally quit believing that any removable media based flashcart was actually slowdown-free. I'm a stickler for picture-perfect recreation of my games on a flashcart. Maybe if you're just using the cart for piracy "close enough" is good enough, but I think there are a lot of us who are looking for incredibly precise performance in a flashcart, or we wouldn't be looking at them at all.

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
People who express themselves with this manner of eloquence are a large part of the reason I finally quit believing that any removable media based flashcart was actually slowdown-free. I'm a stickler for picture-perfect recreation of my games on a flashcart. Maybe if you're just using the cart for piracy "close enough" is good enough, but I think there are a lot of us who are looking for incredibly precise performance in a flashcart, or we wouldn't be looking at them at all.

rofl2.gif
excuse us for being a lame pirates...

what we're trying to say here is that the slowdowns are next to nothing... u prolly spent those slowdown times to blink when u use ur perfect flashcart anyway...

the only bad thing on the ez4l is that it is damn hard to pull the tf card out for the first few times... it's either im getting good at it or it's just getting loose -- damn moonshell!!!

teH XeRO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol i havent actually noticed the slowdown..granted i havent tried every game..but i can tell you if there is slowdown its on the software end of it b/c similar situations in other games will play and load perfectly fine but in others i have read ppl complain of slowdown (take the castlevania intro for instance...i have read many ppl say it skips...yet full fmv's in other games like metroid prime hunters run flawlessly)...its the software end of things that affects this problem and i have no doubt it will be fixed my experience so far with the ez4 lite has been...burn a rom to the cart, play it, and enjoy myself (with the exception of the TF card being a b*tch to get out lol) i guess im not as anal as these perfection pirates...mustve been something ur parents fed u when u were a baby that gives u the kind of senses needed to see this supposed slowdown (gerber carrots maybe?)
smile.gif

teH XeRO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lmao smarta*s lol yeah like i bought ult. spidey cuz i like it and its like the only game i found worth anything in the list of incompatible games for the ez4lite...got it for 9 bucks at circuit city on sale lol

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
lol i havent actually noticed the slowdown..granted i havent tried every game..but i can tell you if there is slowdown its on the software end of it b/c similar situations in other games will play and load perfectly fine but in others i have read ppl complain of slowdown (take the castlevania intro for instance...i have read many ppl say it skips...yet full fmv's in other games like metroid prime hunters run flawlessly)...its the software end of things that affects this problem and i have no doubt it will be fixed my experience so far with the ez4 lite has been...burn a rom to the cart, play it, and enjoy myself (with the exception of the TF card being a b*tch to get out lol) i guess im not as anal as these perfection pirates...mustve been something ur parents fed u when u were a baby that gives u the kind of senses needed to see this supposed slowdown (gerber carrots maybe?)
smile.gif

true in a way.. but don't you think people who own more than just the Ez4 can give others who ask questions, their observations on the performace of the EZ4 compared to their other carts ? Surely they should be able to this without you getting upset and questioning their upbringing ?

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to nitpick (even though I'm about to anyway!), but some of you guys really need to learn how to express yourselves more fluently. It's like a fuckin' AOL-speak convention up in this thread.

The point I was getting at is that a flashcart or "backup kit" is a lot more fun if you know that you're seeing a perfect representation of the games that you would get from a retail store. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about playing ROMs on my flashcart before throwing down cash -- but I occaisionally try to make it a point to go out and buy a game if I particularly enjoy it.

Even after owning the games though, I still want to play them from my flashcart. A major point of having these things is to be able to keep all your games in one place -- not to carry around a bunch of game cards (or hell, even two; the appeal of the DS is that it's a one-piece gaming machine). And call me new-agey, but I guess I just really appreciate the convenience you get with that.

teH XeRO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
testing now to see...gimme a few minutes to get through some text

edit: k nvm no text..lol just at the main menu...and yes it still skips...which leads me to still believe its the software end thats affecting this as i notice no other slowdowns in intros, fmv's, gameplay etc. in any other game, it also had me fooled for a sec as the very beginning of the intro..maybe like the first second or so, started fluently with the bats or birds or w/e flying in the background and htne it started to skip..im sure it will be fixed...if not i dont care cuz the gameplay was perfect as i tried it out when i thought the intro was at the beginning of the actual game and not the main menu.

edit 2: @ meangreenie

and yes ppl who own more than just an ez4/L cart can express themselves all they want, im not trying to put down what they think as i do plan myself on picking up a g6 lite eventually also, its what they make out to seem like MAJOR problems with the non-preference cart is what bugs me b/c these minor things do not affect whatsoever this "fun" experience kalibar claims is heightened by perfect recreations of the games..i find the fun in flash carts in actually getting to play the games w/o any difficulty, not how perfectly the game seems to be portrayed...if an audio track skips for a millisecond...so what..if the game stutters for a millisecond to load...so what, these arent conisistent problems that happen every second you play the games...i have also never seen these problems at all in the 20 roms ive thrown on my ez4 lite so far..so idk if having the ultra II card helps ne in these minor bugs/glitches others have noticed using standard speed TF cards

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?