Hacking Got my DS-X today

SectionX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
got nothing but praise for this product. I played around with for a while now. Works brilliantly.

dsx4.jpg

S

Sobtanian

me too, got it today and it's really really good
fast drag and drop and you're done
smile.gif

highly recommended

ateam

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
backdrifts.net
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how long it will be before someone writes "trimming" software for raw NDS dumps. This would be useful for the DS-X, since it doesn't utilize any sort of ROM managing software, like the SuperCard. The 1 Gb limit wouldn't be quite as bad, as a result. I'm not well versed on the technology behind the DS-X, but since it does use raw dumps, perhaps trimming them would cause some sort of checksum error and cause the games to cease functioning.

Firon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can trim it yourself with a hex editor, just lob off all the extra FF bytes at the end of the ROM.
It will probably break a few games, but for most it should theoretically work, even on a DS-X.

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just look for gbata utililty, gba tool advance. It can trim NDS roms (as well as GBA ones) just fine.

res1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just got mine today. Boy was I excited, running from the post office, plugging it into my macbook, dragging and dropping Pheonix Wright 2, Tales of Tempest, some Kanji software and - of course - Brain Training. I fire up the DS, select the cart. The first thing I notice is that the green battery light is flashing, just like in sleep mode. I bit of a downer, but hey, small price to pay for 100% compability right? Couldn't be more wrong. None of the games above worked, and when i removed the cart and later put it in agian I the DS didn't find it. Turns out due to poor maunfacturing I have to apply a small piece of paper to the cart as i put it in the slot in order for it to becom readabe again.

In my opinion the DS-X in it's current state is not worth investing in. The promised 100% compability ends up looking like a lie and in the end of the day all I have bought is potential, badly manufactured at that.

ateam

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
backdrifts.net
XP
Country
United States
So it would appear that there are some manufacturing issues with the DS-X. The games you listed above wouldn't simply NOT work on this cart, since others are declaring how happy they are with the device.

SClite for life
tongue.gif

SectionX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just got mine today. Boy was I excited, running from the post office, plugging it into my macbook, dragging and dropping Pheonix Wright 2, Tales of Tempest, some Kanji software and - of course - Brain Training. I fire up the DS, select the cart. The first thing I notice is that the green battery light is flashing, just like in sleep mode. I bit of a downer, but hey, small price to pay for 100% compability right? Couldn't be more wrong. None of the games above worked, and when i removed the cart and later put it in agian I the DS didn't find it. Turns out due to poor maunfacturing I have to apply a small piece of paper to the cart as i put it in the slot in order for it to becom readabe again.

In my opinion the DS-X in it's current state is not worth investing in. The promised 100% compability ends up looking like a lie and in the end of the day all I have bought is potential, badly manufactured at that.

yeah DS-X team better start fixing the games soon because the compability gets lower every day.

skylerj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.koopatorivm.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

That blows! And thanks to gbatemp's glowing review of the ds-x, I have one coming in the mail. It's like I said in a comment for that review, this site trys too hard to "try to like" the products they review, giving poor products ok reviews, and ok products great reviews, while ignoring or excusing flaws (ie "updates will soon take care of this problem!!"). It's almost like they want to avoid offending the companies that were "nice enough" to send them free units for review. And that's precisely why professional review outfits (zdnet, consumer reports) buy their own review units.

IMHO, Gbatemp should have taken more time/precautions before verifying the manufacturer's claim of near 100 percent compadability.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That blows! And thanks to gbatemp's glowing review of the ds-x, I have one coming in the mail. It's like I said in a comment for that review, this site trys too hard to "try to like" the products they review, giving poor products ok reviews, and ok products great reviews, while ignoring or excusing flaws (ie "updates will soon take care of this problem!!"). It's almost like they want to avoid offending the companies that were "nice enough" to send them free units for review. And that's precisely why professional review outfits (zdnet, consumer reports) buy their own review units.

IMHO, Gbatemp should have taken more time/precautions before verifying the manufacturer's claim of near 100 percent compadability.
The DS-Xtreme scored 9.5 out of 10 because it deserved it. Not because the manufacturer offered us a free sample. Just take a look at our review of the Neo2 SD for example. It was shit and got a shit review.

We don't ignore flaws, otherwise we wouldn't have reported that Pokémon didn't work and that the M3 wasn't compatible with the PassMe mode etc...

We can't test every single ROM out there extensively. That's just not feasible. We did test a lot already and what we tried except from Pokémon diamond worked flawlessly.

And also, we can't afford to buy our own units for test because we run this site for fun. We get zero profit out of it. And then we have to pay stuff like IPB licence and hosting fees ourselves.

Next time you're reviewing a cart for 14 hours straight until 4am in the morning I hope that will help you understand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.