Got component cable, best way to get surround sound?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by markmcrobie, Mar 2, 2010.

1. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    I just bought an official component cable. I connected it to my TV, and ran the 2 audio leads to a spare input on my amp (Sony HS-SS1200). I've set the amp to use Dolby Pro Logic II to give a pseudo-surround effect cos a) I have no idea if the Wii can do true Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1, b) even if it can I don't think it can be passed over the 2 white/red audio leads and c) the only spare digital input on my amp I have is the DVD Coax style one, which doesn't tie in with the Wii component cable.

My question is, based on the above, in the Wii settings, should I set Sound to Stereo or Surround?

Cheers

2. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    no idea... i would try them both and see (or more like hear) which one sounds better

3. Tichinde925

Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

Jul 14, 2008
    United States
    Warwick, Rhode Island
    Dolby Pro Logic II is the best you will get.

4. OOPMan

OOPMan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2007
    Like it says on the Wii's box...

Dolby Pro Logic II

Ie. 5.1 sound encoded into 2 audio channels.

5. rolandpibb

rolandpibb GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2009
    Canada
    If you're hooking up the audio from the Wii to an amp/receiver, set the audio to Stereo-let the amp decode the Dolby Pro Logic II. Your amp may even have different settings that may sound better, depending on your listening environment. My Yamaha has a surround setting Neo:6 Cinema that with my setup, sounds better than Pro Logic II.

When hooking up the audio to a TV, it's up to you to try different combinations of Wii-surround out/TV-Stereo or Wii-Stereo out/TV-fake surround, etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice