Got an iPod Touch the other day.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
OP
Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
2,761
Trophies
0
Age
30
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
999
Country
United States
So, I sold my Wii and got an iPod Touch 8GB (1st Generation). I jailbroke it after updating to 2.2 firmware, and started getting some free apps from the AppStore. I then read on some blog how to get cracked apps, so I did that, and it works well. I've bought quite a few apps that are worth buying, such as Super Monkey Ball and Pop, and others I've downloaded from a website. I take it everywhere, and I play it more than my 360 now.

So, does anyone else have an iPod Touch/iPhone story they want to share?
 

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Member
Joined
May 16, 2007
Messages
3,393
Trophies
0
Age
31
Website
ndss.nl
XP
360
Country
Netherlands
This is my story:
When I got the iPod touch, I thought it was completely awesome. I had 1.1.4 at the time, and I used it primarely for browsing the internet and listening to music. I discovered some really neat apps in Installer.app (of course, I had jailbroken it the same day I got it) and I couldn't wait for 2.0!

Unfortunately, 2.0 has some kind of new protection on the music database, which makes it impossible to get music on the iPod touch without the newest iTunes. It might not sound like a big problem, but for a Linux user like me it is. So here I am, still using 1.1.5. I'll probably upgrade to 2.2 again soon though, because I really liked games like Super Monkey Ball and that racing game (not the Crash Bandicoot one). I guess I'll just play my music with an external application from Cydia, but I'm really disappointed by Apple locking my device.
 

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
1,461
Trophies
0
Age
30
Location
Florida
Website
Visit site
XP
232
Country
United States
I bought an iPod Touch 2G back in October, still waiting for a jailbreak >.>
RedSn0w was supposed to be out Sunday, So I could jailbreak it, but it wasnt "user friendly" also it was tethered" meaning if I shut down my iPod, It'd be unusable until I jailbreak it again, So im still waiting for a release
frown.gif


I really wouldnt have minded the "tethered" version, I mean who shuts down the iPod completely.

So now I sit.. waiting
 

Linkiboy

GBAtemp Testing Area
Member
Joined
May 14, 2006
Messages
4,878
Trophies
0
Age
18
XP
977
Country
United States
Wow... like my whole school as a 2G ipod. Apparently it was the most popular stocking stuffer/gift this holiday season. I got a 1G a few months ago, jailbroken, etc. I love it, got a bunch of games for free
smile.gif
It's also really thin so it's easy to take it to school. I didn't want a case so I bought a screen protector and put it on the chrome back to keep it from scratches.
 

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
2,272
Trophies
0
Age
35
XP
184
Country
I actually heard from someone that you can play PSP games on the Itouch but I'm not too sure about that speculation.
 

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
OP
Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
2,761
Trophies
0
Age
30
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
999
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
I actually heard from someone that you can play PSP games on the Itouch but I'm not too sure about that speculation.

No, but you can play PS1 games to an extent. Also, is anyone having trouble with the new gpSPhone (3.6.5)? I can't get any games to load, even though the bios is in the ROMs folder.
 

science

science rules
Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
3,696
Trophies
0
Age
31
XP
1,157
Country
Canada
Dude, if you can, return if for a 2G. Its got more features and is like... $10 more. But if you are happy, keep it. I love my 2G
smile.gif
 

Linkiboy

GBAtemp Testing Area
Member
Joined
May 14, 2006
Messages
4,878
Trophies
0
Age
18
XP
977
Country
United States
science said:
Dude, if you can, return if for a 2G. Its got more features and is like... $10 more. But if you are happy, keep it. I love my 2G
smile.gif
Well it's like 50$ more and it can be jailbroken right now
 

skyman747

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2008
Messages
399
Trophies
0
XP
187
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
science said:
Dude, if you can, return if for a 2G. Its got more features and is like... $10 more. But if you are happy, keep it. I love my 2G
smile.gif
Well it's like 50$ more and it can be jailbroken right now
Yeah, you can get a 16GB 1G new for the same price as a 8GB 2G. The 2G's only new features are a small speaker, side volume control, and a curved back. Glad I got a 1G for xmas. From the sounds of things, I don't think RedSn0w will be released anytime soon, so I wouldn't really count on that.
 

3020

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2007
Messages
130
Trophies
0
Age
31
Location
Turn around
Website
Visit site
XP
242
Country
Canada
I don't get what the big deal about the ipod touch and entire ipod line. What exactly unique does it do? Ok so it plays music and videos, my psp and ds do that. It plays games, again psp and ds do that but 100 times better. Then you have all these apps for the touch that all seem pretty pointless and can't see them being of much use. Anyone wanna explain to me whats so great about them?
 

Linkiboy

GBAtemp Testing Area
Member
Joined
May 14, 2006
Messages
4,878
Trophies
0
Age
18
XP
977
Country
United States
3020 said:
I don't get what the big deal about the ipod touch and entire ipod line. What exactly unique does it do? Ok so it plays music and videos, my psp and ds do that. It plays games, again psp and ds do that but 100 times better. Then you have all these apps for the touch that all seem pretty pointless and can't see them being of much use. Anyone wanna explain to me whats so great about them?
Well first... at 8mm its ultra thin and easy to sneak in a pocket where a psp wouldn't go.

It has a near perfect web browser, you can watch youtube, go on messenger, etc.

The pointless apps are the reason though. Its popular in my school since you can sneak a game of chess or air hockey between your friends while the teacher isnt looking.
 

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
6,833
Trophies
2
Location
DS Scene
Website
imgur.com
XP
10,555
Country
Croatia
skyman747 said:
Linkiboy said:
science said:
Dude, if you can, return if for a 2G. Its got more features and is like... $10 more. But if you are happy, keep it. I love my 2G
smile.gif

Well it's like 50$ more and it can be jailbroken right now

Yeah, you can get a 16GB 1G new for the same price as a 8GB 2G. The 2G's only new features are a small speaker, side volume control, and a curved back. Glad I got a 1G for xmas. From the sounds of things, I don't think RedSn0w will be released anytime soon, so I wouldn't really count on that.

The 2G also has a faster processor and a much better battery life then the 1G. And the hackers are making good progress on getting it jailbroken now, its only a matter of time.

QUOTE(3020 @ Jan 23 2009, 12:35 AM)
I don't get what the big deal about the ipod touch and entire ipod line. What exactly unique does it do? Ok so it plays music and videos, my psp and ds do that. It plays games, again psp and ds do that but 100 times better. Then you have all these apps for the touch that all seem pretty pointless and can't see them being of much use. Anyone wanna explain to me whats so great about them?

Honestly I never liked the other ipods before the touch, I didnt think they were anything special. But the touch is really different, its one of the most impressive pieces of consumer electronics Ive ever owned, and I own a lot. As far as mp3 and mp4 players go its so ahead of everything else its ridiculous.
 

3020

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2007
Messages
130
Trophies
0
Age
31
Location
Turn around
Website
Visit site
XP
242
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
3020 said:
I don't get what the big deal about the ipod touch and entire ipod line. What exactly unique does it do? Ok so it plays music and videos, my psp and ds do that. It plays games, again psp and ds do that but 100 times better. Then you have all these apps for the touch that all seem pretty pointless and can't see them being of much use. Anyone wanna explain to me whats so great about them?
Well first... at 8mm its ultra thin and easy to sneak in a pocket where a psp wouldn't go.

It has a near perfect web browser, you can watch youtube, go on messenger, etc.

The pointless apps are the reason though. Its popular in my school since you can sneak a game of chess or air hockey between your friends while the teacher isnt looking.

Hmm doesn't sound like something for me. It still doesn't seem worth it, sure it has a good web browser but unless unless you have a wireless hotspot around its pointless. The only good aspect I see about the touch is that it's slim and is easily carried, I don't think paying $300 for something that just plays music and has apps that you PAY for and only entertain for a few minutes. I know there are ways to get apps for free and such but most people don't do that. Unless it has some special feature that optimizes music quality while massaging my back that I am unaware of, then I would say this is a complete waste of money.
 

Reaper

Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂
Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
1,259
Trophies
0
Age
27
Website
Visit site
XP
428
Country
United States
3020 said:
Linkiboy said:
3020 said:
I don't get what the big deal about the ipod touch and entire ipod line. What exactly unique does it do? Ok so it plays music and videos, my psp and ds do that. It plays games, again psp and ds do that but 100 times better. Then you have all these apps for the touch that all seem pretty pointless and can't see them being of much use. Anyone wanna explain to me whats so great about them?
Well first... at 8mm its ultra thin and easy to sneak in a pocket where a psp wouldn't go.

It has a near perfect web browser, you can watch youtube, go on messenger, etc.

The pointless apps are the reason though. Its popular in my school since you can sneak a game of chess or air hockey between your friends while the teacher isnt looking.

Hmm doesn't sound like something for me. It still doesn't seem worth it, sure it has a good web browser but unless unless you have a wireless hotspot around its pointless. The only good aspect I see about the touch is that it's slim and is easily carried, I don't think paying $300 for something that just plays music and has apps that you PAY for and only entertain for a few minutes. I know there are ways to get apps for free and such but most people don't do that. Unless it has some special feature that optimizes music quality while massaging my back that I am unaware of, then I would say this is a complete waste of money.
There's a vibrating massager app.
 

Doomsday Forte

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2007
Messages
1,271
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
153
Country
United States
3020 said:
I don't think paying $300 for something that just plays music and has apps that you PAY for and only entertain for a few minutes. I know there are ways to get apps for free and such but most people don't do that.
Yeah, you uh...click the FREE button at the top of the App Store. ZOMG no piracy required!
 

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
6,833
Trophies
2
Location
DS Scene
Website
imgur.com
XP
10,555
Country
Croatia
There is a massive amount of free content available in the store, yeah a lot of it is demos, but I doubt many people bother using the apps for more then a few minutes to kill some time anyway. A few of the apps are pretty impressive though to be honest.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: Underwraps 2 is out checks all the Disney woke boxes