Got a new computer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by leonheart_a, Jul 24, 2008.

Jul 24, 2008

Got a new computer by leonheart_a at 10:22 PM (1,959 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. leonheart_a
    OP

Member leonheart_a GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    ...After many years. The specs are on this site:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw...ormationSection

At first it was great i was happily getting everything all the stuff my old one couldnt handle. Today however was different. I left my computer on while i went out for some shopping. Came back and it was as if the computer was dead. The screen was just pitch black, tried typing and moving the mouse but nothing happened. So i held the power button tilll i turned off. I turned it back on and for some reason it took much much longer then it should of. Logged in and the computer was actuallly slowing down at startup. This never happened to me before. Im sure i have no viruses/spyware. I have loads of room left on my hard drive and the desktop wasnt full at all. Ive never seen it slowdown this much before. I waited for a few minutes and then i opened task manager to see whats using how much memory. I got to the screen where you choose task manager (slowly) and clicked on it. Nothing came up for awhile so i clicked on firefox and that eventually came up. a minute later i saw the task manager icon in the tray but it still didnt load up. I tried double clicking it but still nothing. I Turned it off again and left it for a few mins. I came back turned it on and it was once again a very slow (even slower) startup. I logged in and i could still see the slowdown. It got a bit better to the point where task manager and firefox actually opened.(While Typing that sentance Everything lagged. Including everything else i open for around 3mins.). While using firefox it takes awhile to actually respond to what i do. I type a sentance and its 10 words behind frozen. I opened Utorrent and to my astonishment it was empty but all my downloads are still in the folder. I dragged all my torrents back in and hardly any of them carried on downloading. Just saying: Checked 0% and so on. The second time i came back on there was nothing AGAIN! What the fuck is going on here? I know my specs should be good enough for not getting this much slowdown. My old PC was a little better than this.

This is really annoyinging me now its taken me 20+ mins longer to type this all out then it should of.

Can anyone help me?

2. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    You definetely have a virus. Didn't you install an anti-virus when you got it?
    I had the same problem yesterday [​IMG]

Try this: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

3. leonheart_a
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah i installed AVG [​IMG] Seems that wasnt good enough...
    I didnt think i would need a firewall since theres alrready the windows one, anyone know a firewall that works well for Vista? And thank you Xcalibur i will try that program now. But in all seriousness i never thought it would be a virus [​IMG]

4. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
    zonealarms is a good free firewall

5. chojinlx

Newcomer chojinlx Newbie

Did you check event viewer. Maybe your hard drive is failing. Possibly overheating? All fans working good?

6. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Also, I assume this was bought pre-made and you didn't build it yourself?

I've noticed a lot of new computers come preinstalled with lots of spyware or other shady programs. You also said "getting all of the old stuff" so while viruses are a possible cause, spyware would count too so get Spybot and get rid of them. It seems that yours is just jam-packed with them or other junk. =\

If it's not that then I have no idea what to tell you, just that it's obviously very bad.

7. leonheart_a
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah i bought it premade. It didnt come with anything really though just vista and all that other normal stuff. Ive just been getting games and some films.

After 6 hour scans from both malwarebytes and AVG there wasnt a single virus. [​IMG]

I will try spybot now. But what can i do if it doesnt find anthing again?

And i dont know what event viewer is. Everything should be working good i think...

8. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    try Mcafee or norton 360 antiviruses they are not free but u can download a 30-days trail or get a cracked version of them.

did u try Defragmentation of the harddisk?
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation
    u have vista right?

click on start>>all programs>>accessories>>click on system tools>> click on "Disk defragmenter">>a program will start in a new window>> there are 3 options>> click on defragment now>> and it will start defragmenting the HDD, just leave it for some minutes and when it finish restart the pc and pray that it all when gud. lol

9. leonheart_a
    OP

United Kingdom
    Okay i got it all working now. I reformatted, it seemed the only option i could do [​IMG]
    I did defragment a few days ago though. I just hope that this never happens again [​IMG]

10. leonheart_a
    OP

United Kingdom
    Not good....Its happening again! I start up windows normally log in open at least 1 program be it my documents or firefox and it loads for ages and then freezes.

Im on safe mode now and its working fine. This is really pissing me off. it cant be a virus, i mean i scanned it with the apps youve given me and AVG. Zonealarms firewall has been up every time. I think it might be something to do with the PC or something.

Can anyone help, please?

11. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

perhaps you've attached a device that slows down the system?
    try unplugging any additional devices - only leave the screen, keyboard and mouse attached.
    I've seen printers and other things slow down a system badly.
    Also some virus's can hide on USB mass storage devices and be automatically executed upon insertion or system startup.

12. leonheart_a
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah i dont have anything plugged in really either than the ethernet, mouse, keyboard video cables etc
    FIrst few mins off logging in are real slow then you get an okay speed then it slows down every now and then. The speeds are nothing compared to how they used to be

13. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    how warm is your CPU if you check the BIOS?
    Since you got a Intel, if the intel overheat it makes stuff take longer to load. I hade that problem when I built my PC, I didn't attach my CPU cooler correct so it was 100C (Yes, its true, it was 100C, 25 on every processor!)

I fixed it, and whoula, it worked like a charm!

14. leonheart_a
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah i dont have anything plugged in really either than the ethernet, mouse, keyboard video cables etc
    FIrst few mins off logging in are real slow then you get an okay speed then it slows down every now and then. The speeds are nothing compared to how they used to be.

Also how do i check it? This might be the problem since i have my PC on for quite some time, the thing is that i didnt actually build this. I bought it.

15. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Seriously, just format your HD and reinstall windows.
    All this headache of trying to find out whats causing it when it might just be a shitty 3rd party software you probably didn't want in the first place just doesn't seem worth it.

16. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I had that ones, when I still had a PC(A AMD 2.1Ghz dualcore, have macbook now)
    Out of nothing everything went slow ASUS startup screen, dualboot loader, windows
    I ignored it and it was at normal speed again the next day
    I had an Asus M2N-E motherboard, what do you have?

17. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Can't you return for a repair/exchange/refund then if things are going so bad?

18. leonheart_a
    OP

United Kingdom
    I did reformat and it only made things better for a bit. I have no idea what my motherboard is. It might be on the site.

If this problem still goes on in a few days then yeah i will go get a refund. I was just hoping that their might be a solution. [​IMG]

19. vhunter

Member vhunter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe a system restore or recovery can fix the problem, it as helped me many times before.

20. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    1.try updating the drivers of the installed hardwarez,
    there is a software that check and update ur out-dated drivers automatically.

2.try installing older version of windows (windows bob), older versions are much faster on the new computers. windows xp home or pro editons or get the custom made windows which are more efficent.

3.y dont u send it to me,i live near u north-west of london, i might repair it free of charge [​IMG] [​IMG] *scammer look*