Hardware Got a New 2DS LL for my birthday

Tired302

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So I received a New 2DS LL (JP) for my birthday and I was wondering if it's possible to transfer my old 3ds's (US) hacked data to it ?And if so how do I go about hacking the new 2ds and transferring my data. Sorry for bothering all of you. I appreciate any help I can get. And also if this is the wrong place to post I apologize!

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I received a New 2DS LL (JP) for my birthday and I was wondering if it's possible to transfer my old 3ds's (US) hacked data to it ?And if so how do I go about hacking the new 2ds and transferring my data. Sorry for bothering all of you. I appreciate any help I can get. And also if this is the wrong place to post I apologize!
3DS is region locks so u can't the normal way

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Tired302

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If you're happy just with the game save data (and not activity log, miiverse etc) you can use JKSM.
I honestly don't care much about anything except for the Mii Plaza one(because I actually enjoyed those games) and Activity Log (,but I can probably get over losing that one). Can I keep Mii Plaza using JKSM? Probably no right? AND how do I go about using JKSM for keeping my save data. I used it once when I moved some Gateway saves.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

3DS is region locks so u can't the normal way
Oh thank you so much for the guide. I checked the guide....and honestly region transferring seems so scary. I'm worried I'll brick the new 2DS ,. Is there anything easier? I assume no. So maybe the best thing for me is to use JKSM after hacking the new 2ds!

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't care much about anything except for the Mii Plaza one(because I actually enjoyed those games) and Activity Log (,but I can probably get over losing that one). Can I keep Mii Plaza using JKSM? Probably no right? AND how do I go about using JKSM for keeping my save data. I used it once when I moved some Gateway saves.

Oh thank you so much for the guide. I checked the guide....and honestly region transferring seems so scary. I'm worried I'll brick the new 2DS ,. Is there anything easier? I assume no. So maybe the best thing for me is to use JKSM after hacking the new 2ds!
The guide is the easyist and recommended guide to use

Reactions: Alexander1970
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
System titles save data can be backed up with Checkpoint too.

Checkpoint does not show system titles (by default). To change this edit the file "SD:/3ds/Checkpoint/config.json"

"nand_saves": false,→ "nand_saves": true,

You may have to hold (B) for a while after starting Checkpoint to reload the title list. On my O2DS no extdata for Face Raiders showed up, even after editing the config file and reloading title list. I do not know:
  • a) If I did something wrong / could not find the correct options
  • b) extdata is necessary; probably yes, after starting Face Raider (for the first time in all the years) it stated something like "creating extra data"

JKSM on the other hand, could backup save data and extdata on the test device. If the target 3DS with the good camera has no Face Raiders save yet, the game will not show up in the list (creating a save and extdata before). The same as with Checkpoint: You may have to reload the title list.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

You can't do a normal system transfer at all, even if you change the region.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Tired302

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You can't do a normal system transfer at all, even if you change the region.
I know. Just a little sad to say goodbye to my old data. But it can't be helped.

So basically I hack my new 2DS. Get B9S. Back up my save data on my old 3DS. Export that to my new 2DS. Install the games whose save data I backed up. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks again for help!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I know. Just a little sad to say goodbye to my old data. But it can't be helped.

So basically I hack my new 2DS. Get B9S. Back up my save data on my old 3DS. Export that to my new 2DS. Install the games whose save data I backed up. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks again for help!
You can transfer all your data manually, but NNIDs are I think region locked so you can't transfer that.
If you want to keep your friend code and friend list for example, there are a couple files in NAND that need to be copied to the new console. Mii Plaza save data might be region dependant though. You will have to selectively transfer system save data for only those things you want to keep as transferring all of it (like a regular system transfer would) to a different region console could result in a softbrick.
To be honest, it's much easier to start from scratch and just transfer your savegames (and optionally your games, they can be dumped to cia again for use on another console) but if you want to keep your friend code that should at the very least be possible. Not sure what else is worth keeping, tell me what's important to you and I'll see if it should be possible to transfer over.

Edit: For reference, here is the location of some of the important data in NAND (GM9 paths):
Code:
seedsave.bin
1:/data/$[SYSID0]/sysdata/0001000f/00000000

nagsave.bin
1:/data/$[SYSID0]/sysdata/0001002c/00000000

nnidsave.bin
1:/data/$[SYSID0]/sysdata/00010038/00000000

friendsave.bin
1:/data/$[SYSID0]/sysdata/00010032/00000000

configsave.bin
1:/data/$[SYSID0]/sysdata/00010017/00000000
System Files
Code:
ticket.db
1:/dbs/ticket.db

title.db
1:/dbs/title.db

import.db
1:/dbs/import.db

certs.db
1:/dbs/certs.db

SecureInfo_A
1:/rw/sys/SecureInfo_B

LocalFriendCodeSeed_B
1:/rw/sys/LocalFriendCodeSeed_B

movable.sed
1:/private/movable.sed
GM9 itself and GM9 Megascript may have support for dumping and injecting some of these files more easily so you don't have to navigate to the correct path, copy the file and paste it. It does I believe have support for friendsave.bin dumping and injecting and some of the others but not all.

To transfer your friend code only LocalFriendCodeSeed_B and friendsave.bin should be needed (I haven't tried this so I'm not 100% sure)

configsave.bin contains all the settings System Settings stores, but this can be easily enough set up again so that's not needed.

ticket.db contains tickets for both titles on SD card and NAND, technically by transferring this as well as movable.sed to the new console, your SD card data will be usable just as it was on the old console, no need to back up your saves or games, but because ticket.db also contains tickets for NAND titles and NAND titles are different between regions, simply transferring it as is would likely result in a brick.
Instead you should do a "Scripts from Plailect's Guide->CTRTransfer Ticket Copy" in GM9Megascript ( https://github.com/annson24/GM9Megascript/ ), this will dump your installed CIA tickets, which can be reinstalled with FBI on the new console.

seedsave.bin contains seeds for any of the games using newer crypto, games won't work without it, but it should be transferrable without issues, or you can redownload the seeds for any non working games by going to FBi->Titles, finding the game and there should be an option to import seed->download from CDN (or something of that sort), if it turns out that copying this file causes a softbrick due to some console unique data, I suggest just importing the seeds with FBI.

So in short, transferring these files from the old console's NAND to the new one with GM9 should transfer most of your data and allow you to simply swap your SD card to the new console and continue using it:
  • For friend list/friend codes: friendsave and LocalFriendCodeSeed_B
  • For using SD card data from old console on new one: movable.sed and ticket backup (installable with FBI) from GM9Megascript, as well as seedsave
  • Optionally configsave if you are too lazy to change the system settings again, but this is really not needed.
All the other files in that list are not really useful to you.
And you will at the very least need to install FBI.cia again in order to install the ticket backup since the data on your old SD won't show up until you've done so.

Apart from that, there's a ton of system savedata like Mii Plaza data and data for the built in games, that will require copying more files, and in some cases might not be possible due to regional differences, if you care about any of that let me know and I can look into it.

Also, as goes without saying, you should have a NAND backup of the new console before trying any of this, and make sure not to edit anything on the NAND of the old console (editing NAND in GM9 requires entering a button combination, so if you see that prompt while trying to copy the files from the old NAND, abort)

@TurdPooCharger Not sure if you or someone else ever did add those dump/inject options to GM9Megascript, but they would be useful right now :P

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Quantumcat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@The Real Jdbye,
  • seedsave.bin - Not needed as there's FBI import seed & hydroseed for DAT seed files.
  • nagsave.bin - Sighax made this obsolete. Update the firmware.
  • nnidsave.bin - The NNID won't work with online services unless you do an official System Transfer. I think this and the Friend Code are directly related to the movable.sed's KeyY.
  • friendsave.bin - This one I don't know if you can import your Friends List under a new user profile. The best you can do is dump your collection of friend codes with seedstarter and send everyone invitations to re-add you.
  • configsave.bin - Already talked about by you.
  • ticket.db - The n2DSLL (new 3DS-JPN) firmware will have system titles not recognized because that database will only have tickets for (old 3DS-USA) firmware. There are ways to dump legit tickets from an CTRTransfer image and then install those. Personal legit tickets from actual Nintendo eShop purchases are not treated as legit on another system because they're signed by DeviceID. Your legit bought SD titles will have to be restored with fake tickets using faketik.
  • title.db and import.db - These two are responsible for keeping track of the system titles installed in title folder. Borrowing this set of files without the accompanying title folder will brick the firmware.
  • certs.db - This is a console unique file that controls a number of certifications including installing CIAs, playing online, and downloading stuff. While it's possible to replace this with another, I would advise keeping the original copy put in place as-is if you can.
  • SecureInfo_A | SecureInfo_B - A console unique file that contains firmware region code and the system's own serial number. Using a non-compatible SecureInfo can cause wonky behavior in NATIVE_FIRM. I believe Nintendo uses this to identify systems for the highest level perma-super ban if you either cross them with credit card chargeback or that system is reported stolen.
  • LocalFriendCodeSeed_B - Try not to burn your original LFCS_B. People, don't cheat online!
  • movable.sed - Unauthorized/homebrew System Transfer = Bad stuff. Access to Nintendo eShop will be blocked. May lead to ban.

It is possible to [decrypt / transfer / clone / share] the Nintendo 3DS folder with the latest GodMode9 nightly using "SDTransfer". The only thing that's still needs work on is transferring GBA VC saves.

There's supposedly a way to region change the new series 2DS/3DS systems with access to that new region's Nintendo eShop.

Someone once managed to successfully perform a cross-regional System Transfer. Her exact procedure wasn't documented as a tutorial but more as a case study.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@The Real Jdbye,
  • seedsave.bin - Not needed as there's FBI import seed & hydroseed for DAT seed files.
  • nagsave.bin - Sighax made this obsolete. Update the firmware.
  • nnidsave.bin - The NNID won't work with online services unless you do an official System Transfer. I think this and the Friend Code are directly related to the movable.sed's KeyY.
  • friendsave.bin - This one I don't know if you can import your Friends List under a new user profile. The best you can do is dump your collection of friend codes with seedstarter and send everyone invitations to re-add you.
  • configsave.bin - Already talked about by you.
  • ticket.db - The n2DSLL (new 3DS-JPN) firmware will have system titles not recognized because that database will only have tickets for (old 3DS-USA) firmware. There are ways to dump legit tickets from an CTRTransfer image and then install those. Personal legit tickets from actual Nintendo eShop purchases are not treated as legit on another system because they're signed by DeviceID. Your legit bought SD titles will have to be restored with fake tickets using faketik.
  • title.db and import.db - These two are responsible for keeping track of the system titles installed in title folder. Borrowing this set of files without the accompanying title folder will brick the firmware.
  • certs.db - This is a console unique file that controls a number of certifications including installing CIAs, playing online, and downloading stuff. While it's possible to replace this with another, I would advise keeping the original copy put in place as-is if you can.
  • SecureInfo_A | SecureInfo_B - A console unique file that contains firmware region code and the system's own serial number. Using a non-compatible SecureInfo can cause wonky behavior in NATIVE_FIRM. I believe Nintendo uses this to identify systems for the highest level perma-super ban if you either cross them with credit card chargeback or that system is reported stolen.
  • LocalFriendCodeSeed_B - Try not to burn your original LFCS_B. People, don't cheat online!
  • movable.sed - Unauthorized/homebrew System Transfer = Bad stuff. Access to Nintendo eShop will be blocked. May lead to ban.

It is possible to [decrypt / transfer / clone / share] the Nintendo 3DS folder with the latest GodMode9 nightly using "SDTransfer". The only thing that's still needs work on is transferring GBA VC saves.

There's supposedly a way to region change the new series 2DS/3DS systems with access to that new region's Nintendo eShop.

Someone once managed to successfully perform a cross-regional System Transfer. Her exact procedure wasn't documented as a tutorial but more as a case study.
I did not know about hydroseed, that's useful, but using the "CTRTransfer Ticket Copy" should work just the same.
And yeah, I did already mention that NNID transfer isn't possible offline.
The files I didn't mention in detail are just not needed so it wasn't worth explaining for the purposes of manual system transfer.
Looks like some of the files can't be transferred as easily as I thought. I think transferring movable.sed would likely not result in a ban. Not likely that Nintendo is gonna ban anyone on 3DS at this point. What makes you say the eShop will be blocked? It's just encryption keys for SD data, it shouldn't make a difference.
LocalFriendCodeSeed_B is indeed tied to movable.sed in some way but clearly that doesn't matter too much as people that have unbanned their consoles with LFCS_B are still able to use their consoles online (besides eShop not working but that's for unrelated reasons), it just contains encryption keys after all so as long as that matches the SD encryption there should be no issues.

Transferring friend code and friend list to a new console is possible. I've seen people do manual system transfers in the past and really the only thing that wasn't transferrable was the NNID, but that was between two consoles of the same region, not that that should matter for friend code but does matter for some other things so you can't just transfer all the system save data and expect things to work. I just don't know if those two files are enough to do it.

SD transfer is useful, I guess it would be easier to use that (but also a lot
slower whereas this is a very quick process)

I did not know the part about not being able to transfer legit purchased tickets but I'm just kinda assuming they have no legit purchased content and in any case any legit content they had won't be legit anymore if they can't transfer their NNID over so does it really matter?

That eShop access after region change thing only works if eShop has never been opened on the console IIRC and for those consoles that came with a demo preinstalled it won't work at all as those have already been "connected" to the eShop in some way. Unless this is a different method.

@Tired302 It might actually be best to region change the console otherwise you'll be stuck with Japanese language in the home menu and other system apps and to get English in many games and apps you'll have to use Luma3DS' locale emulation even if those games are not JPN region. It's not like having access to the JPN eShop with only Japanese language games is particularly useful anyway so you don't lose out on much by region changing and that way you can in theory transfer the entire sysdata folder along with the files I mentioned above and keep all your data minus NNID. This is possible between two same region consoles, that much I know, but the process might be more complex than just copying all the files with no modification done. I suppose you could actually make a ctrtransfer image on your old console and flash this to the new one and that would do most of the hard work in ensuring everything is compatible and will work but some files may still need to be transferred manually. Some files are left as is on the target system when doing a ctrtransfer (as it's not really meant for transferring personal/console unique data from one system to another so personal data is kept as is when possible, an exception to this is SecureInfo_A which is transferred when doing a region change as it needs to be modified to match the new region) and I think the entire sysdata folder as well as LFCS_B are left as is and will still need to be transferred manually. But doing it this way would essentially make your new console a clone of your old one minus personal data so it should help ensure it works smoothly.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Tired302
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not know about hydroseed, that's useful, but using the "CTRTransfer Ticket Copy" should work just the same.
Hydroseed is a windows program that takes seeddb.bin and breaks it apart into individual DAT files for offline seed importing with FBI.

The "CTRTransfer Ticket Copy" found in GM9Megascript mounts the backed up ticket.bak after doing CTRTransfer and dumps all the legit purchased eShop tickets. Those tickets can't be installed on any other systems. There's a drawback where continually dumping and reinstalling legit eShop tickets causes GodMode9 to no longer acknowledge them; they'll eventually no longer be re-dump-able.

The files I didn't mention in detail are just not needed so it wasn't worth explaining for the purposes of manual system transfer.
I wanted to add extra clarification on why many of those NAND files should not be used or manually transferred over to a different system, in case people get any funny ideas..

Looks like some of the files can't be transferred as easily as I thought. I think transferring movable.sed would likely not result in a ban. Not likely that Nintendo is gonna ban anyone on 3DS at this point. What makes you say the eShop will be blocked? It's just encryption keys for SD data, it shouldn't make a difference.
Anytime someone does a Format System Memory or System Transfer, a replacement or edited movable.sed is re-derived from the LocalFriendCodeSeed_B.

Half of that KeyY that controls encrypting the Nintendo 3DS folder happens to also be a part of the LFCS_B. The second half is derived from the first half with a counter value.
If the 3DS/2DS has a nonvalid movable.sed where it doesn't contain an entire copy of a real/signed LFCS_B, you won't be allowed to go in the Nintendo eShop. This includes faking an entire movable.sed. I also tried this with like a single hex edit in the LFCS_B portion of my n3DSXL's actual movable.sed with intact KeyY. It's all no go.

If you manually clone the entire NAND (ie, full blown [CTR + TWL] Transfer) from one system onto another like-new/old system and try to access eShop, you get blocked and warned with error code 022-2591. I once flashed my niece's n3DS NAND image on my n3DSXL while researching if Decrypt9 CTRTransfer could be made viable on GodMode9 through the [S:] SYSNAND VIRTUAL. In the middle of checking stuff out, I accidentally launched Nintendo eShop while trying to tap the icon for System Settings... Opps. While neither of them are banned, I wouldn't place my trust in doing that again.

There are some people who think they're smart alecks by,
  1. backing up the SysNAND *.bin image on their source system
  2. copying the Nintendo 3DS folder on a separate SD card
  3. System Transferring their NNID & user profile over to a target system
  4. restoring the SysNAND on their source system
  5. sharing the same set of SD titles where both systems' movable.sed files have the exact same KeyY
When the source system tries to access eShop with its original NAND setup, Nintendo sees in their sever record that it should no longer have that KeyY and NNID. The movable.sed also has a mysterious 4 bytes (block 0x120-123) that is believed to be server recorded as another security measure when facilitating official System Transfer. When you fail those server checks, Nintendo may come to the conclusion you have custom firmware and performed unauthorized/homebrew System Transfer as an attempt to circumvent their piracy protection, leading to the possible taken action of banning both source and target systems.

Speaking of shared KeyY, this idea has been tried before with poor outcome.
LocalFriendCodeSeed_B is indeed tied to movable.sed in some way but clearly that doesn't matter too much as people that have unbanned their consoles with LFCS_B are still able to use their consoles online (besides eShop not working but that's for unrelated reasons), it just contains encryption keys after all so as long as that matches the SD encryption there should be no issues.
Yes, LFCS_B banned from online game play is separate from movable.sed ban from Nintendo eShop.

However, an issue can arise when replacing LFCS_B. As was mentioned above, formatting the system memory will replace your movable.sed with a new one derived from that LFCS_B. There's a chance Nintendo will notice your system and whichever donor system that lent that LFCS_B have similar movable.sed, which brings back the point of whether or not you're in the green if you've done official System Transfer.

Transferring friend code and friend list to a new console is possible. I've seen people do manual system transfers in the past and really the only thing that wasn't transferrable was the NNID, but that was between two consoles of the same region, not that that should matter for friend code but does matter for some other things so you can't just transfer all the system save data and expect things to work. I just don't know if those two files are enough to do it.
Same here. I don't know enough about successfully injecting back the Friends List. The few attempts I've reformatted my n3DSXL with incremental changed KeyY, launching the imported Friends List would give a corrupted error message and state that it'll be deleted. Perhaps Checkpoint or JKSM is better equipped in backing up + restoring this.

There's always the tried and true method: bust out the pen and paper.

SD transfer is useful, I guess it would be easier to use that (but also a lot slower whereas this is a very quick process).
This "SDTransfer" is a very recent development. People often place too much emphasis on speed versus proper end results. There is a bit of good news about the performance aspect. Since those CMAC hurdles have been mapped out, it's possible for this feature to be implemented on a desktop program.

I did not know the part about not being able to transfer legit purchased tickets but I'm just kinda assuming they have no legit purchased content and in any case any legit content they had won't be legit anymore if they can't transfer their NNID over so does it really matter?
Correct. Their purchased titles would be rendered nonlegit due to the lose of those legit tickets. This would be a concern if @Tired302 has hard-to-find titles that can't be replaced or redownloaded (no sources from that ISO title) and does not personally keep CIA backups.

That eShop access after region change thing only works if eShop has never been opened on the console IIRC and for those consoles that came with a demo preinstalled it won't work at all as those have already been "connected" to the eShop in some way. Unless this is a different method.
It's a different method where new series 3DS/2DS that has already accessed their native region Nintendo eShop can have its firmware region changed and then system transferred with borrowed NNID in order to gain access to its adopted region's eShop.

I don't believe this can be adapted in moving the NNID from USA region server to JPN/EUR/etc.

Reactions: orangy57

Tired302

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

SD transfer is useful, I guess it would be easier to use that (but also a lot
slower whereas this is a very quick process)

@Tired302 It might actually be best to region change the console otherwise you'll be stuck with Japanese language in the home menu and other system apps and to get English in many games and apps you'll have to use Luma3DS' locale emulation even if those games are not JPN region. It's not like having access to the JPN eShop with only Japanese language games is particularly useful anyway so you don't lose out on much by region changing and that way you can in theory transfer the entire sysdata folder along with the files I mentioned above and keep all your data minus NNID. This is possible between two same region consoles, that much I know, but the process might be more complex than just copying all the files with no modification done. I suppose you could actually make a ctrtransfer image on your old console and flash this to the new one and that would do most of the hard work in ensuring everything is compatible and will work but some files may still need to be transferred manually. Some files are left as is on the target system when doing a ctrtransfer (as it's not really meant for transferring personal/console unique data from one system to another so personal data is kept as is when possible, an exception to this is SecureInfo_A which is transferred when doing a region change as it needs to be modified to match the new region) and I think the entire sysdata folder as well as LFCS_B are left as is and will still need to be transferred manually. But doing it this way would essentially make your new console a clone of your old one minus personal data so it should help ensure it works smoothly.

While I do appreciate your help. A lot of this is going over my head(Although the region transfer seems very easy and painless). So while I would like to do a region transfer. I think I can handle the Japanese portion. And you said Luma can help me fix games which aren't in English by setting the locale to the proper region of the game. Is there any other reason to do a region transfer? I don't mind doing one but as I currently live in JapanI maybe it's best to figure use a 2ds with Japanese settings. I'll have to give up my old Streetpass stuff can't be helped.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
While I do appreciate your help. A lot of this is going over my head(Although the region transfer seems very easy and painless). So while I would like to do a region transfer. I think I can handle the Japanese portion. And you said Luma can help me fix games which aren't in English by setting the locale to the proper region of the game. Is there any other reason to do a region transfer? I don't mind doing one but as I currently live in JapanI maybe it's best to figure use a 2ds with Japanese settings. I'll have to give up my old Streetpass stuff can't be helped.
I guess you can stick with Japanese if you don't mind. Yeah, manual system transfers are pretty complex. I had to figure out a lot of this stuff on my own when back in the day there was an issue with my emuNAND and it couldn't update, the only solution that worked was making a new emuNAND, but I didn't want to lose all my data. I can't be 100% certain that my suggestions will even work between two consoles without additional steps, but they worked for transferring data between two emuNANDs on the same console.

Tired302

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hey guys sorry to bother. But when I was installing games on new 2ds (after having installed b9s) I tried installing Nintendogs golden retriever as I have an old save file. It's a US dump (if that matters) and Everytime I install it and open it. It just freezes and makes a choppy noise. Any advice on what I should do?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys sorry to bother. But when I was installing games on new 2ds (after having installed b9s) I tried installing Nintendogs golden retriever as I have an old save file. It's a US dump (if that matters) and Everytime I install it and open it. It just freezes and makes a choppy noise. Any advice on what I should do?
Try importing the seed with FBI, and use Luma3DS game patching + Locale Emulation with LumaLocaleSwitcher set to "USA EN".

Reactions: Tired302

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: test what?