Got a N3DS Monster Hunter Edition 9.8 firmware

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by cooroxd, Jan 26, 2016.

1. cooroxd
    OP

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    I just bought myself a 9.8 firmware N3DS limited edition mh4u. What's the best plan of attack and downgrade this baby?

Should I use safesysupdater and update 9.8 to 10.3 first since people say it's most stable firmware to start downgrading from?

And does browserhax work with 9.8 firmware?

2. Firem

Firem Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Try to downgrade from 9.8. It works for me. But if it fails, you are on 10.5...
    I format my sd card first. It is your choice.

Greetz

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Updating would probably not be any safer than downgrading on 9.3+ so I think it's best to save yourself the additional risk and downgrade directly from 9.8.

4. tipsytoto

tipsytoto GBAtemp Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    United States
    I asked this elsewhere and told it wasn't possible but can you get a NAND rip before downgrading for a potential hardmod in case there is a failure? My understanding is this isn't possible with just homebrew and you need to be on 9.2, but if there is a way I'd definitely like to take advantage of that.

5. einhuman197

einhuman197 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 17, 2015
    Germany
    Inside your bootloader (´◉◞౪◟◉)
    You can backup it, but this will need a hardmod.

6. Cap'n Josh

Cap'n Josh Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    This. You can get a NAND backup from a 9.3+ system, but you have to do the hardmod first, then you can read the NAND with your computer and make a copy. It's never a bad idea to get a hardmod, it's just a pain to do yourself (esp. if you have shaky hands like me). Unfortunately, as far as I know, that's the only way for 9.3+.