Hardware Got a Japanese PS4, O/X backwards?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was told that Japanese PS4s are identical to USA ones, just a different box.

I got one that was on firmware version 1.52, meaning I can run exploits on it. Yay!

Only problem... it has the Japanese mannerisms (Y/M/D date style, 24-hour time, safety warnings in Japanese) and the O/X buttons are swapped from my USA console. Even though I picked English (United States) when setting it up.

As a test, I swapped the hard drive and downloaded a 1.60 "full" PUP file. But it still kept the Japanese style.

Since the updates are identical in all regions, I get this feeling it's impossible to switch. I've seen some tutorials talk about opening the PSN menu and trying to change regions there, but it's going to just force me to update if I try to connect it to the Internet.

I'm planning to update it to 1.76 at some point, but is there a way I can basically switch it to a US firmware? Would using a US retail disc with an update help? Or was I misled a bit and it's not really identical?

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Japanese PS systems have always had O as OK and X as No. To my knowledge not changable however you can remap buttons and see if that will improve it for you.

Last edited by 59672,

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
even if you update with a US disc, you won't be able to swap it. japanese always had O for confirm and X to cancel.

if ps4 custom firmwares are going to be a thing, you'd probably be able to swap X and O easily.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was told that Japanese PS4s are identical to USA ones, just a different box.

Whoever told you that was wrong. In addition to what you've already discovered, it's a different DVD region player. Maybe not a big deal, unless you got rid off all your other players, but just something else different you should have been told.

Also, technically it's a different region for games, but since most (all?) games so far are encoded for the all region code, it's probably not going to matter. PS3 was similar, but did actually have some that were locked. It's up to the publisher, I guess.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Japanese PS systems have always had O as OK and X as No. To my knowledge not changable however you can remap buttons and see if that will improve it for you.

I don't think the button mapping was added until 2.something. So it wouldn't be an option for me at all sadly.

Whoever told you that was wrong. In addition to what you've already discovered, it's a different DVD region player. Maybe not a big deal, unless you got rid off all your other players, but just something else different you should have been told.

Also, technically it's a different region for games, but since most (all?) games so far are encoded for the all region code, it's probably not going to matter. PS3 was similar, but did actually have some that were locked. It's up to the publisher, I guess.

Well, that sucks. At least I know this thing is on a low enough firmware to be exploited, and I can probably get back what I paid for it. I did notice that basically every game says "all regions" on the box. Yeah, CFW would be my end goal, but I wish I knew about the region stuff in advance. I had posted a "want to buy" thread asking for a <2.0 unit and someone linked me to a Japanese one with Prime saying I could get that.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, what would happen if I took a full backup of my NA system and restored it to the JP one? Would it still have Japanese configuration?

D

Deleted-355425

Out of curiosity, what would happen if I took a full backup of my NA system and restored it to the JP one? Would it still have Japanese configuration?

When cfw is out the games will play normal layout, so just wait it out.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is it such a big deal? Most games use their own button layouts anyway, or at least only might use the inverted buttons on menus.

The Japanese layout makes more logical sense, as the X symbol is universally recognised as being negative (or 'cancel' in a gaming sense) and the O symbol is synomynous with a tick.

Last edited by sj33,
Reactions: aidotato5

bbert

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Any update regarding about this topic. I got Dark Souls 3 US version and I want to change the button layout to Asian version without using the PS4's Button Assignments. Any News guys?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a