Got a hdd for Vwii and wii u backups, but need help

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by spideyguy132, Sep 23, 2018.

1. spideyguy132
    OP

spideyguy132 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2018
    United States
    Ok, so I have a 4 tb hdd that I planned to use for backups and emulation, but, I didn't realize it needed to have an external power source to work. How would I hook up an external power source, if it is possible, and if not, is there any way to make it work?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You can only use 2TB of the space AFAIK.
    Anyway, what you need is a USB Y-cable.

spideyguy132 likes this.
  3. spideyguy132
    OP

spideyguy132 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2018
    United States
    Ok, I'll look for a Y cable. And why can I only use 2 tb? (Can I not use 2 partitions at 2 tb each?)

4. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It has to do with the MBR partition scheme, which has a 2TB limit. I don't think GPT is supported on vWii/Wii. No, you can't use multiple partitions to get past that, MBR can't address more than 2TB of space.

spideyguy132 likes this.
  5. spideyguy132
    OP

spideyguy132 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2018
    United States
    Would a single 2 gig partition, with the rest staying unusable work? (The 4 tb was the same price as the 2 tb ones anyway) If not, I'll have to find another good use for 4 tb.

6. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It should work as long as it's formatted with the MBR partition scheme. Bit of a waste though. 1TB USB HDDs are pretty cheap, and should be plenty of space for GC and Wii games and retro games.

spideyguy132 likes this.
  7. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2016
    United States
    It's time consuming (doing it myself right now, done like 30 games taken like 2 days) but you could inject the Wii/Gamecube games you want to the main screen onto the same hdd as WIi U games with this

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

Otherwise you'll have to buy another hdd for GC/Wii games. Still not a workaround for the 2 TB limit though. (there isn't one). But unless you're someone that wants like every single Wii U game ever released, every Wii game etc... the 2 TB should be enough for all the good games on Wii U/Wii/GC.

Last edited by NoSoul81, Sep 23, 2018
  8. spideyguy132
    OP

spideyguy132 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2018
    United States
    So, would partitioning to 2 tb not work even in an mbr scheme (As said above)? I'd rather not buy another hdd, and my sd is really small, and I don't have tons of money, plus I have only 32 gig on my Wii U anyways. I don't mind wasting the other 2 tb for now, as I can always use it whenever I'm done with the backups (I will have a lot of games, but in 2-3 years, I'll probably want it for something else, or won't want to play the wii U, wii or gc games) I just would prefer not spending much if possible.

9. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2016
    United States
    As far as I know the Wii U handles the partitioning and you can't do anything about it. When you put it in your PC it'll ask you to format and you'd lose everything. You can't split the partition into two parts. So you'll have essentially a 2TB Wii U hard drive only. But like I said unless you're going for every game that WIi U ever released, you won't even fill that up. Also if you want Wii/Gamecube and want to only use that one hdd, you'll have to inject each game one at a time using the link I gave the post above. Each game will take like an hour or two to convert to the WUP format then you install it via WUPinstaller, so it will take time especially if you want a ton of Wii/GC games. Or if you know where to find them (can't help with this) you might be able to find them to download already converted to WUP.

10. XC-3730C

XC-3730C GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2014
    United States
    NoSoul81,

So you are saying that as long as Wii and GC games are installed as Wii U injects, I could in effect have Wii U, Wii (my games are in wbfs format) and GC games on the same drive? What about WiiWare games?

Last edited by XC-3730C, Sep 23, 2018
  11. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Yes to your first question.

As far as I know WiiWare games have to be played on vWii, I'm not aware of any forwarder for those to be on Wii U. I had too many Wii/GC games to inject so what I did was inject around 40-50 of the best games and use a USBLoader GX forwarder so I can instantly get to the rest of Wii/GC/WiiWare games from there. But that does require two hdds for the additional Wii/GC games I didn't inject.

WiiWare games get injected to the sd card though so you don't need an additional hdd just for those.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I just looked at the TeconMoon WiiVC Injector tool options and there's one for vWii Nand Title Launcher. So that should allow you to install WiiWare games on your Wii U. Didn't know this until now. So yes you can forward everything to your Wii U and only use one hdd. I'm doing that now the only kind of a pain is you have to find your own banner/icon for each Wiiware game. But you can just google it.

12. spideyguy132
    OP

spideyguy132 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2018
    United States
    Ok. So I can't partition myself for usbloader gx or something? If not, it will just take longer I guess, but I also won't have emulators access, so rip ps and rom hacks.

13. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    I went with 2 hdds. one for my wiiu games and the other for vwii,GC and wiiware. It doesnt take long to swap hdd's. about 2 seconds and it saves you the time of installing them.

14. spideyguy132
    OP

spideyguy132 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2018
    United States
    You missed the part where I don't have money for a second HDD :(

15. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    ask Santa.

16. spideyguy132
    OP

spideyguy132 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2018
    United States
    I'm 16, but most of my money is going to come or to my car. :/ I'd be fine with even using it just for vc and emulator, as long as I could get the thing to work.

17. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2016
    United States
    You know that you can just use ustealth and hide the Wii hard drive from the Wii U until you access vWii so you don't have to swap anything. Have both hooked up at the same time and it doesn't interfere or ask to format etc...

Last edited by NoSoul81, Sep 24, 2018
  18. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    yeah the problem i have is that my portable hdd's need to have more power than 2wiiu usb's can give. so i have a y cable connected to the hdd goint to the wiiu usb and the other end goes into a wall usb adapter. if that makes sense.

19. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2016
    United States
    There's actually 4 usb ports (two in the back) you could get a y cable for about $5 on Ebay and use two ports in the front on the Wii U HDD and two ports in the back for the Wii. I do this.

20. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    got my disney infinity portal in the front :) also was saying that if i connect both plugs of the y cable to the wiiu the hdd dosn't get read properly. only works if I connect the supplementary power cable to a wall adapter.

Last edited by comput3rus3r, Sep 24, 2018