Android Got a Galaxy S i9000 & stock Android 2.3.3;want new OS

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I want to completely reset my smartphone, and just fiddle around with Android in general. It's becoming slow, especially connected to internet, and there are a lot of folders on the microSD I don't even know where they originated from.

All I want to save is my contact numbers and my text messages, all the other stuff can go.

So 2 questions;
  • How can I keep my contact/text messages, even through a reset?
  • Which Android OS would you guys suggest?
I came up with this list via Google, but I want to hear your suggestions of course :)

Also, I'm pretty sure I rooted my phone a few years ago, so no worries there.

aalokishere

Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
I remember using something called wondershare mobile go but that requires a PC.
Never had the phone so cant help with ROMs but Cyanogen can't be too bad.

FireSeel

Trophies
XP
Country
For contacts you shold be able to export to micro sd, which you can back up to a pc. I dont know about texts, but there are probably a few apps in the play store that can do that for you. For roms, you should install the latest stable release of cyanogenmod -10.1.2- ;I had it on my galaxy s, and it was great for regular use. It will give you 4.3. I'd recommend using a tutorial, so you don't mess up your device.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a similar device called the Galaxy Player 4.0 (YP-G1). Cyanogenmod 10.2 runs fine on the device, and the community for this device isn't near as developed as the i9000. I believe that you would be most satisfied with CM10.2.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I remember using something called wondershare mobile go but that requires a PC.
Never had the phone so cant help with ROMs but Cyanogen can't be too bad.
For contacts you shold be able to export to micro sd, which you can back up to a pc. I dont know about texts, but there are probably a few apps in the play store that can do that for you. For roms, you should install the latest stable release of cyanogenmod -10.1.2- ;I had it on my galaxy s, and it was great for regular use. It will give you 4.3. I'd recommend using a tutorial, so you don't mess up your device.
I have a similar device called the Galaxy Player 4.0 (YP-G1). Cyanogenmod 10.2 runs fine on the device, and the community for this device isn't near as developed as the i9000. I believe that you would be most satisfied with CM10.2.
1) Super Backup
2) Cyanogenmod all the way

10.1 is fine if you don't want bleeding-edge Android 4.3. I have it on my i9300 and it has some bugs, when compared with a stable. So, go with the STABLE version ;)
Thanks guys!
Everything is set up, I have backed up my contacs/SMS/pictures, everything is in the cloud/on my PC so I'm ready to go!
I'll do it today or tomorrow, not now because I'm planning to go out later today and I want to make sure I can call someone if needed :)

Will let you know how it turns out

Reactions: Hikaru

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I did it! Everything went great, no errors whatsoever.
Have been fiddling around in the CyanogenMod (settings) for the past hour or so, very impressive the amount of detail they put in. Moving your cursor in a text message with the volume button? GENIUS!
That clock includes a stopwatch/timer --> 1 less app to download! Loving it!

A few questions though;
  • How can I remove certain pre-installed apps? Things like DSP Manager are completely useless to me
  • Why isn't Gmail installed by default, and Email is? What's the difference? I also haven't really found any way to link my GMail account to my phone, like I could do on stock Android 2.3.
  • Where is the App store?! I honestly have no idea! I want to install some apps, I really don't find any way to install apps?
  • How does the default Cyanogenmod browser hold up compared to Dolphin Browser for example? I was using Dolphin Browser on my Stock Android, was pretty pleased with it. Worth upgrading?

FireSeel

Trophies
XP
Country
For gmail and the play store, you need to download the gapps (google app) package for the version of android that you have, and then you need to factory reset again- backing up contacts and texts again or using your previous backup first- in recovery then wipe your cache again in recovery, then choose install package, and choose the package you downloaded - like you did to install cyanogenmod-. http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/488574-how-install-gapps.html look at the third post. For the system apps you can freeze them in titanium backup once you have installed gapps. for a browser I would recommend Chrome.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For gmail and the play store, you need to download the gapps (google app) package for the version of android that you have, and then you need to factory reset again- backing up contacts and texts again or using your previous backup first- in recovery then wipe your cache again in recovery, then choose install package, and choose the package you downloaded - like you did to install cyanogenmod-. http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/488574-how-install-gapps.html look at the third post. For the system apps you can freeze them in titanium backup once you have installed gapps. for a browser I would recommend Chrome.
Damn really?
I got to format/reset again for Gmail/Play Store :'( ? Goddamnit.... All my settings, gone again :'(
Any other packages useful, so I can install them too, next to that GApps package?

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay, reset my phone again, succesfully installed GApps and Cyanogenmod 10.1 !
No, I haven't exactly found where I can uninstall (pre-installed) apps. Things like G+ Photos, DSP Manager, Google+, Voice Dialler, Voice Search, ....
Completely useless to me, and I really want to get rid of those!
Is this possible in Cyanogenmod?

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah you need a root unistaller program like es file manager. This let's you remove anything you want although removing some things may cause system instability

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Titanium Backup is the best option for getting rid of preinstalled apps you don't want (IMO). You can backup the apps first (in case something breaks once you uninstall them) then delete them. After a week or two if your phone is still working fine without those apps installed, you can delete the backups. [Occasionally some apps will rely on others, so uninstalling an app you don't use can break one that you do use]

For the record, TB can also backup your SMS & MMS messages (and contacts, I think), as well as your bookmarks in the stock browser, your call logs and your WiFi access points.

EDIT: And with AOSP-based ROMs (e.g. CM), your contacts should sync to your Google Account anyway, so provided you don't go back to a stock manufacturer ROM, you shouldn't have to worry about contacts any more.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah you need a root unistaller program like es file manager. This let's you remove anything you want although removing some things may cause system instability
Okay, will do tonight. Very impressed by the amount of features in this badboy, I've just installed a few APK's from unknown sources, without use of any exterior app (had to do that on Stock 2.3). Easy mode, a pleasant surprise.
File manager is giving me some troubles atm, I can't figure out how to get out of the external SD card and go to my internal memory. Haven't figured that one out yet, but it's probably a minor thing I'm overlooking.

Another question; the stock music player, Apollo, often crashes on me. It just says 'unfortunately, Apollo has stopped working' .
Is it a good player? Or should I consider another music player?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ES File Manager is perfectly adequate as a file browser (although I personally prefer Solid Explorer, I feel it is more aesthetically pleasing while remaining every bit as functional for my needs, at least), but I strongly advise against using it for uninstalling system apps. Stick to a tool like Titanium Backup which is specifically designed for managing apps. You don't really want to be poking about in system files with root using a file manager unless you're pretty sure of what you're doing.

As for music; I used to use one called "Cubed" [link], I quite liked it. Alternatively you could try Google Play Music. Another option is doubleTwist.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, will do tonight. Very impressed by the amount of features in this badboy, I've just installed a few APK's from unknown sources, without use of any exterior app (had to do that on Stock 2.3). Easy mode, a pleasant surprise.
File manager is giving me some troubles atm, I can't figure out how to get out of the external SD card and go to my internal memory. Haven't figured that one out yet, but it's probably a minor thing I'm overlooking.

Another question; the stock music player, Apollo, often crashes on me. It just says 'unfortunately, Apollo has stopped working' .
Is it a good player? Or should I consider another music player?

Hi to get to the onboard storage on my s3 at least I go right to root then "mnt" and then mines sdcard. You can book mark it and then have a tab open up on boot if you want. Mine basically on opening the program has SD card, ext SD card, lan shares and cloud services all loaded up as default in seperate tabs.
As for music player. I use poweramp there's a paid version and a free version. I person ally use the paid version of costs 69p and gives me equalizer. Include/exclude folders and a few small other things. Either way I love iy

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ES File Manager is perfectly adequate as a file browser (although I personally prefer Solid Explorer, I feel it is more aesthetically pleasing while remaining every bit as functional for my needs, at least), but I strongly advise against using it for uninstalling system apps. Stick to a tool like Titanium Backup which is specifically designed for managing apps. You don't really want to be poking about in system files with root using a file manager unless you're pretty sure of what you're doing.

As for music; I used to use one called "Cubed" [link], I quite liked it. Alternatively you could try Google Play Music. Another option is doubleTwist.
The uninstaller built into es brings a list of all installed programs. I don't have to manually search for what I want to remove

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Titanium Backup will backup almost everything on your phone but it's a little iffy for your Text Messages and System Settings. The paid version has an XML export which is supposed to work between different ROMs better but it's still not perfect.

As for your contacts the answer's simple: Make them all Google Contacts. Then they'll be backed up automatically and restored automatically when you sign in with your Google Account.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use my backup pro never had an issue with texts and I've used it for every android phone for the last 4 years

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
1. Titanium Backup is by far the best backup app for EVERYTHING, even Wi-Fi passwords.
2. If you love Samsung's touch wiz, find a custom stock rom for your phone (those are just stock roms but modified to have over clock, Init.d apps to SD and more) or, just choose Cyanogen (great rom).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands