got a free wii from a friend, looking to play ds/gba games.

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by jaderocc, Jun 4, 2017.

1. jaderocc
    OP

jaderocc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    no hacks or anything on it at this point but i'm planning on homebrewing it. i'd like to be able to play ds/gba games on it more than probably anything else i'd be doing with it, so can anybody recommend emulators? i've heard of vbagx and mgba but wasn't sure which one would be better/more stable for the gba side, and wanted to know how ds emulation was looking on the wii, if it was even worth attempting, etc. so if anyone had any input it'd be greatly appreciated. thanks :*)

2. kiddy dong

kiddy dong Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2016
    United States
    DS emulation on Wii is nothing more than experimental, you'll be lucky if you can get a game to run 5 minutes without major issues.

As for GBA, you absolutely want the latest build of mGBA. It has rendered VBAGX completely and utterly obsolete for 99% of GBA games.

jaderocc likes this.
  3. niuus

niuus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Use mGBA for GBA games, no contest there. Use VBA GX for DMG/GBC if you need Super Game Boy borders, or if you like screenshot/cartridge/box previews for the games on the menu. If you don't, then just use mGBA for everything.

DS emulation on the Wii it's more of a Proof-of-Concept than anything else, so you won't be able to enjoy it per se, it's really slow and compatibility is low

jaderocc likes this.