Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've been reading alot on Wii 'hacking', and this is what I know yet:

I need to wait till I get my Wii, then look up the serial, and then I can look what modchip I should buy (right?)

Now here's what I don't understand yet:

1.How do I update my Wii? What benefits do those updates bring?
2.If I install a Wii modchip in my Wii, can I replace it with another one?
3.Can a Wii update make my modchip unusable? What should I do then?
4.How much is the average size of a Nintendo Wii game?
5.I've heard something of scrubbing, do the games still work perfectly after scrubbed?
6.Any site that posts scrubbed releases (filenames, so I can Google them)
7. What's a Wii clip?
8. How do I get VC releases to work on my Wii?
9. Does the Wii have a WiFi connection, like the DS? Or do I have to get an internet cable to do it?
10. Do the modchips run every game flawlessy, if those games are burned well?
11. What kinda emulators are there for the Wii?
12. And a scrubbed release is just like a .rar file, but for the Wii? So it's smaller to download, but then you have to extract it and it turns to 4.7GB. Right?

That's about it, tnx!

samsam12

Test
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. support.nintendo.com
2. yes
3. out of region updates can semi-brick your wii, however, just use bushings semi-brich fix disc.
4. 4.37 GB
5. all should, but there are some that have problems.
6. warez
7. it lets you install a chip without soldering
8. WAD Install/Manager
9. support.nintendo.com
10. they should
11. NES, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, SMS, N64, NGPC, GB, GBC. GBA, ZX Spectrum, Saturn.
12. im not sure.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
1.How do I update my Wii? What benefits do those updates bring? Go to Wii Settings/Wii System Update. Depends on update
2.If I install a Wii modchip in my Wii, can I replace it with another one?Yes
3.Can a Wii update make my modchip unusable? What should I do then? Rather not, as modchips are rather undectable to Wii, but if update like this comes out, I'm sure the problem will get fixed
4.How much is the average size of a Nintendo Wii game? 4,37GB
5.I've heard something of scrubbing, do the games still work perfectly after scrubbed?Some of the games have problems, for exaple Super Smash Bros. Brawl unless modified have unplayable Subspace Emissary
6.Any site that posts scrubbed releases (filenames, so I can Google them) www.gbatemp.net
tongue.gif

7. What's a Wii clip?A type of tool that lets you clip a modchip to your wii without soldering
8. How do I get VC releases to work on my Wii?Twilight Hack/Homebrew Channel + SD card + Wad Manager
9. Does the Wii have a WiFi connection, like the DS? Or do I have to get an internet cable to do it? Yes, it have Wi-Fi
10. Do the modchips run every game flawlessy, if those games are burned well?Depends on modchip, but rather yes
11. What kinda emulators are there for the Wii?Oh...NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Turbografx, GBA...too much to list
12. And a scrubbed release is just like a .rar file, but for the Wii? So it's smaller to download, but then you have to extract it and it turns to 4.7GB. Right? You have to unpack and unscrub it to be 4.37 GB

grog.gif

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I need to wait till I get my Wii, then look up the serial, and then I can look what modchip I should buy (right?)

Is that right?

Tnx for the answers so far
smile.gif

Any word on a PSX emulator for the Wii?
Or a GC emulator?

Praetor192

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Satangel said:
Any word on a PSX emulator for the Wii? Or a GC emulator?GC isn't emulated on the Wii, it includes the hardware so it can run it natively. All the major modchips (if not all modchips) support playing GC backups as well as Wii ones, on full-sized DVDs. PSX could potentially be emulated, but at this time there is no emulator for it.
QUOTE said:
I need to wait till I get my Wii, then look up the serial, and then I can look what modchip I should buy (right?)Yes.
1. How do I update my Wii? What benefits do those updates bring?
Updates will show up in the Wii message board, and then you just click Update and it does it. Updates include things like support for new games, updating software, enabling new features, etc. Some of them try to stop homebrew (like the one that killed the original Twilight Hack), but they are reported quickly and fixed pretty fast generally. A new TPhack was released soon after the update that stopped it, but you should just check Wiibrew/here before updating your wii to make sure it won't stop any exploits.

Part 2 next post. Won't let me put so much text.

Praetor192

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
2. If I install a Wii modchip in my Wii, can I replace it with another one?Yes.
QUOTE said:
3. Can a Wii update make my modchip unusable? What should I do then?It could happen, but it won't. It is a lawsuit waiting to happen, as in many countries modchips are perfectly legal.
QUOTE said:
4. How much is the average size of a Nintendo Wii game?
4.3-4.7-ish GBs.
5. I've heard something of scrubbing, do the games still work perfectly after scrubbed?
Yeah. It may not be a perfect science; I'm sure that in some games things don't work after scrubbing, but for the majority of releases they work just like the real game. And if things were disabled, it would be reported rapidly and new releases would probably be made.

Part 3 next post...

Praetor192

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
6. Any site that posts scrubbed releases (filenames, so I can Google them)Scrubbed releases are in the same places normal releases are, most of the time (torrents, usenet, etc).
QUOTE said:
7. What's a Wii clip?It makes putting some modchips on easier.
QUOTE said:
8. How do I get VC releases to work on my Wii?
There is a tutorial for this... you don't even need a modchip for it, and it also works with wiiware. PLEASE NOTE: this tutorial is very useful, but it is slightly outdated. It says use Waninkoko's WAD Manager 1.0, 1.1 has been released for a while. This release allows for install from USB. The information is still pretty much accurate though.
9. Does the Wii have a WiFi connection, like the DS? Or do I have to get an internet cable to do it?
Yes, the Wii supports Wifi. It can use a wireless B or wireless G connection, whereas the DS can only use B (the slower one).

Part 4 next.

Praetor192

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
10. Do the modchips run every game flawlessy, if those games are burned well?Yes, but some need periodic updates.
QUOTE said:
11. What kinda emulators are there for the Wii?NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, atari... many many more. Check them at Wiibrew at the moment the page appears to be down, but when it is back up go to the bottom of the page and click on "homebrew applications". The emulators are listed there.
12. And a scrubbed release is just like a .rar file, but for the Wii? So it's smaller to download, but then you have to extract it and it turns to 4.7GB. Right?
Scrubbed releases are just releases that have all the garbage data removed, which lets them be compressed easier. This in turn makes them faster to download.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow, a big thanks to all the people who answered my questions so quickly and accurate.
I'll post here when I have more questions.

Tnx!

I have another question though:

If I download a scrubbed release, it's (for example) around 500 MB, and I don't compress it, will it work then?
That way I could put multiple games on 1 DVD, theoretical offcourse.

And let me put this clear:
I download a scrubbed release, that's around 500MB (for example)
Then I need to decompress it (with what program?) and then it turns to the full 4.7GB and then I can burn it on a DVD.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You appear to misunderstand how scrubbing works.
Discs according to the spec hold a given amount of data. Your program does not have to occupy the lot. This means a the extra space does nothing and becomes junk data when you rip the disc (they are more or less 1:1 copies of the whole disc).
Wii isos are encrypted/signed across the disc and this means the junk data is essentially random (some work has been done into determining a pattern but I would not expect anything from it soon and a few isos do not sign the junk data).
This random data can not be compressed very easily using conventional (zip, rar, 7z etc) but luckily the junk data is not checked (it would be far too much effort) and can be altered without consequence. A nice alteration is to replace the junk with 00/FF (it gets a bit more complex when headers and such are involved but that is the principle) which means the iso can be compressed far more easily using conventional methods (i.e. you extract with anything that deals with the compressed files which are usually split between multiple rar, zip or 7zip archives). A scrubbed iso and a normal iso should be exactly the same size.

There is however some work into making multi game isos but it is not at a stage like the xbox titles and GC titles. Unless you mean storage of the files, in which case it is just normal data.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
FAST6191 said:
.... A scrubbed iso and a normal iso should be exactly the same size.....

So if I understand correctly:

I download a scrubbed release, that's just a full ISO that has been (compressed), so it's smaller
I must decrypt it, so it gets it's normal size back (which program does that?), and then I burn it.

Correct?
I really appreciate the text FAST, but I'm afraid I didn't understand shit of it, because it's too technical for me and English is not my native language.
Thanks again though.

Got another question:

If a friend of mine (who has a Wii that is modded and has a few burned games), can I just plug the DVD in my PC, and then rip it with some kinda program?
Like making an image of the DVD, and then I can burn that image on a DVD of my own, so I don't need to download the game?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You do not have to decrypt anything, you just unrar/unzip/un7zip the compressed file (what it comes as usually depends on the source).
The closest you might come is downloading the "scrubbed" sections to patch back into the iso. Thus far such things are pointless and it looks like it will be for the foreseeable future.

@Zalda. Yes but it gets a bit more complex.
Some games (and this was discovered way back) just check part of the header (which is not signed) and if it matches the console then the game plays. Updates may try to happen though so you end up with a semi bricked wii, fortunately these updates can be blocked and problems resolved.
While this works some of the time it is far from universal so there are other methods.

With the release of the trucha signing tool/bug. We could edit isos in a more meaningful way including translation, improvement and protection hacking.
There are then multiple ways to do this but I will just link a few GUI tools:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=777...t=0&start=0
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=779...t=0&start=0

There is also the gecko region free channel. Now I have not been following it for a few weeks but last I checked there were a few titles that did not work but it seems to be an active project with some good people supporting/doing it.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Gecko_Region_Free

Datel also released an app but it got taken out in an update (although there are ways around it if you can do them it would be far easier to just use another method).

Recently there have also been some methods by which to change the region of your wii but I would hold off on them for a few weeks until they become more stable/tested.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Satangel said:
Okay, tnx FAST
smile.gif

I would like to be able to emulate PSX and maybe XBox games, how long till they come (months? years?)
PSX - possible
XBOX - Impossible

XBOX is almost as powerful as Wii...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.