Hardware Got a few questions about the PS2 Network Adapter and HDDs.

Dan_X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
1. Can you watch movies/videos in it?

2. Could you transfer PS2 save files to an HDD (or Memory Card)? For that matter, do you need any Memory Cards at all if you have an HDD?

3. How do I know which HDD will fit my adapter, without needing to do any further modifications? I want either a 500GB, 1TB, or 2TB HDD, ideally the latter, depending on the answer given to the first question.

4. Besides PS2 games, is it possible to run PS1 games?

5. Weird question, but would I be able to run stuff that runs in PCSX2 just fine, but freezes if ran on real hardware? To give one example, I wanted to play an English translation of Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, but it never went past the title screen, whereas PCSX2 could run it from beginning to end just fine.

That should be it. But if there's something I need to know, feel free to post it. About all I know on the matter is that I should get my hands on an official PS2 adapter (better compatibility) and that I must replace the IDE board with a SATA one (don't know how I would do this, but I suppose I could watch an online tutorial about it).

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
1) I'm not aware of any LAN/HDD based media players

Be aware that the filesystem of the PS2 is different compared to say the OG Xbox, IIRC the PS2 relies on games having their own partitions.

2) Yes and no

In terms of storing saves on the HDD, if you use homebrew software (ULE?) or with Browser 2.0/HDDOSD it is possible, the latter however is copyrighted and either you need to use hacked HDD images or find and install a hacked version.

OPL does support virtual memory cards, but I've never used them so can't say if they're viable.

It may be better to just get an official Memory Card and backup saves to a USB drive.

3) OPL supports up to 2TB, however be aware that >137GB drives require software to support '48bit LBA', so you couldn't use e.g. an unpatched HDDOSD. I only know of some WD IDE drives which caused physical problems, although in theory any 'standard layout' 2.5/3.5" drives should work.

4) Yes and no

A version of the POPS emulator does exist but it has limited support AFAIK

5) You may be able to with OPL, but it depends on why the game wasn't running e.g. a bad burn.
https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/page/opl-game-compatibility-list-1

If you go down the HDD adapter conversion route, it's relatively simple and kits do exist, the main advice I'd give is it put electrical tape on the SATA adapters PCB because I believe mine accidentally shorted/blew the 12v rail so now I can only use 2.5" disks.

Dan_X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
2. Okay, thanks. Do you know if it's possible to transfer PCSX2's save files to a Memory Card or HDD? Also, how reliable are unofficial Memory Cards (8MB is a bit low for me) in the event that virtual MCs don't work? In any case, I already have an 8MB Memory Card.

3. What do you mean by 'standard layout'?

4. Is there a compatibility list for this POPS software?

5. Pretty sure it had something to do with the patch, vaguely remember reading some comments that were asking the author of said patch if he could look into that.

One more thing. Are there fakes/clones of the adapter? If so, how can you tell them apart?

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1: Simple Media System can read from HDD tho I have never tried it

2: Depends on game but don't count on it as most games don't have HDD compat at all unless you use OPL and a VMC but there are some games that don't work right with a VMC so those will need a real memory card.
that said for those that do support VMC and most do then yea you can actually move the saves over, forgot the name of the tool that lets you do it.

3: any IDE drive will work tho some have the ports placed further to the edges so you need to take the HDD adapter apart so it can connect to the drive.

4: Yes tho it can get funky, look up POPSloader

5: I played through all the PS2 KH games with their ENG patch from HDD years ago, don't recall having to do anything special.

Dan_X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
1. Wait, that software sounds familiar. If I recall correctly, you could even use it with an USB (though not sure if this would impact the playback negatively).

2. When you guys say it like that (unless you use OPL) it makes me think that said software isn't a good option to use. Or am I incorrect to assume so?

3. I do have a real memory card just in case VMCs don't work, but for games like KH, I like to have multiple save files to easily fight a story boss whenever I want (and since there's 99 save slots in the games, it's perfect to do so). But at the same time, this means that I won't have a lot of space remaining for other games, which is why I want to know if Memory Cards whose capacity are greater than 8MB are in any way reliable.

4. Will do. Just hope it does work with the games I wish to play (though to be fair I want to beat some PS2 games first before revisiting old classics).

5. Oh? Then one of three things may have happened:

-It does work when played from an HDD (somehow).
-Whoever made the patch fixed whatever it was that made it not work on real consoles.
-As already pointed out, it's possible that what I got was the result from a bad burn.

Either way, good to know that it worked for you. Love the games, but wouldn't want to play again with a guide at hand at all times.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you transfer PS2 save files to an HDD (or Memory Card)? For that matter, do you need any Memory Cards at all if you have an HDD?
For HDD (internal or external), you can if you wish to use Virtual Memory Card functionality within OPL, just set up the destination of the saves folder in OPL.
For PS2 Memory Cards, you can copy and paste saves with ulaunch elf homebrew, just copy the save and paste it in the PS2 MC.
And you do need PS2 memory cards, because the vmc functionality doesn't work for every game, and if you try it with an incompatible game it'd just refuse to load etc. It's in the OPL game compatibility that you can look up, and search for each game if it's compatible with vmc or not.
Do you know if it's possible to transfer PCSX2's save files to a Memory Card or HDD? Also,
If the save format that PCSX2 uses is the as the PS2's, sure. if not, it might require some software to convert the save.
how reliable are unofficial Memory Cards (8MB is a bit low for me) in the event that virtual MCs don't work? In any case, I already have an 8MB Memory Card.
They're pretty decent, apart from they can be prone to corruption and have certain compatibility issues with small amount of games (i forget which), they're not that bad if you wish to use them short-term, and after you're done with a game just copy saves with ulaunch elf to a usb and/or a genuine ps2 mc. Same goes for +8mb ps2 mcs.
Is there a compatibility list for this POPS software?
Yes, there's POPS compatibility lists for usbs/smb/internal hdd, just look it up.
One more thing. Are there fakes/clones of the adapter? If so, how can you tell them apart?
Yes there is, the Gamestar one comes to mind, they get the job done, though they don't have the ethernet port the oem one has. And it's a good solution if you want to avoid modding the oem one.

Last edited by CoolMe,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse