got a fake 8GB psp card, but...

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Osaka, Jul 17, 2008.

Jul 17, 2008

got a fake 8GB psp card, but... by Osaka at 7:13 AM (1,519 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Osaka
    OP

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I dont see any problems with them at all. the games run perfectly fine on them with no lag or anything that I keep hearing about. what exactly is "bad" about fake cards?

also... how come people say that 8 GB cards are slow? these are fake and the games I have played ran perfectly fine o.o;

2. popopola

Member popopola GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    try saving,

after a few days if it doesn't corrupt then the card might be pretty good..

also, how long are the write times?

3. Osaka
    OP

United States
    1)I cant really tell because im on a slower laptop right now, so even writting to a normal real card takes forever :/

2)btw, when I try to save, what should I be looking for.

3)and also, I just found out that the card I have used forever (my 2nd 2GB card) is also fake, but again, no problems.)

4)what should I be looking for over a few days?

4. popopola

Member popopola GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    well there's nothing you can really watch out for..
    some fake cards are known to corrupt your save files or even all the data in the card randomly.
    if you plan on using that card for games and such I recommend you back up your save files frequently
    also, try to test out the write times on a real card and your fake card. your fake one will probably have a significant slowdown.

5. teH XeRO

Member teH XeRO GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i have a few fake sandisk microsd's off ebay that have worked fine for over a yr..i havent experienced any corruptions yet..hope to continue that streak lol

6. diglett

Member diglett GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The fake 8gb cards have better read speeds than the fake 4gb. I don't have the 8gb, but I can't say that my fake has caused me any problems.

7. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    i don't think anyone here has ever posted first hand problems

everyone has heard from a friend of a friend that the fake cards are somehow "bad"

sure, they're slow as shit writing stuff to them, but once they're in your PSP, it's fine

8. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    known issues with fake cards ... they show 8 or whatever gb but only hold about 6 or whatever gb

their lifespan is a whole lot less some cards known to of died after 1 week of use

data gets easily corrupt

some cards you can format once and never work again

theres a wiki on what to watch out for with fake cards [​IMG]

theres a whole heap of websites that sell them lol [​IMG]

theres a whole heap of websites that SLATE them or tell you their problems [​IMG]

guide to spotting them and a few comments images of speed tests here

#1 rule of mem cards is REAL CARDS COME WITH A WARRENTY .. which you can use if you get issues ..how likely you would use it with copywrite content on is another matter lol [​IMG]

9. GaveUpTomorrow

Newcomer GaveUpTomorrow Member

United States
    I bought a 4gb fake card off of Ebay last year, and it was a piece of crap. The first thing you'll notice is that it will show the full amount of space available but anything after half of the stated size will corrupt. The cards won't show support for MagicGate. Many of them lose data. The write times on the one I received was probably 1/5 of the normal write time for a real card. The number of problems that can be brought up about fake cards are really too numerous to list.

There are a few select who will get a fake card that will actually last as long as real cards, but it is more of a thing of luck. I've read 100+ stories of people who've bought fake and had problems. This is really one of the few rare times I've seen someone with a fake card and not have a problem. Consider yourself lucky.

10. Kellicros

Member Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

It depends on the quality of the fake cards really, I have had a 4GB fake, for months I thought it was the real thing until I noticed "MagicGate: Unknown" a few days ago. No corruptions or what so ever. On side note, DX has got a few fake cards with very good reviews, and a few others with a lot of complains.

11. Osaka
    OP

United States
    ok, I tested the speed, and the same file actually transfered to my new fake 8GB card about 20 seconds faster then my 2GB good card... >.>;

12. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Fake cards don't have smaller actual storage just because they're fake. Mainly the problem comes from treating 2^10 as 10^3.
    Expect 7% less actual storage on ANY storage device.
    (e.g. 200GB HDD actually holds close to 200 billion Bytes instead of 200 GigaBytes as in binary GigaBytes, there fore you get ~186 GB)

13. spectral

spectral Newbie

Thats not what people mean. Some fake carts report they are bigger than they are so anything you try to write over that corrupts. Some 8GB cards are 4GB hacked to report their free space as 8GB

14. seren

Newcomer seren Advanced Member

Australia
    Some fakes are better than others but the 4GB one that i bought and returned was terrible. In some games it would crash when trying to save a game and in more intensive games the games would show terrible stuttering.