OP
Trophies
Website
www.obscenelygreen.net
XP
Country
It's the strangest thing. I just bought a DS off ebay (from hong kong
unsure.gif
). I wouldn't have usually, but apparently they aren't going to be back in stock in UK for months!

I received it yesterday, but there is something funny about it. The touch screen feels funny when you run the stylus over it. Almost like it's gritty! The screen feels smooth to the touch but the stylus kind of grips a little. Feels like it is scratching the screen.

At first I thought it must be a dodgy stylus so I nicked my housemates stylus (which feels fine on his DS) and it's not much better.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

It came with a free HORI which looks like the genuine article based on the warnings in this forum. I haven't applied it yet, but does anyone know if it will help the situation?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've only ever had it feel like that for either 2 reasons.

A) The stylus is worn down
or
B) There are some small scratches on the screen that the stylus catches as it runs over it.

Electric_Wizard

OP
Trophies
Website
www.obscenelygreen.net
XP
Country
The stylus can't be the problem, because my house mate's works fine on his and still feels funny on mine.

I couldn't see any scratches on the screen, it looked mint (as it should, being brand new and all). I'll have a closer looks when I get home.

Any other thoughts? It's a crimson & black unit so it occured to me that it might be a fake case (although presumably the case doesn't cover the screen)...

I'm puzzled.

P

pasc

well, my ds touch screen felt gritty to (I bought it used) but after I attached my Touchscreen Protectors (btw, hori is a good brand !) it was like: "omg much better !).

So try it at least.

BTW: Crimson Black for the win ! I wished I could have one too
wink.gif

Electric_Wizard

OP
Trophies
Website
www.obscenelygreen.net
XP
Country
I guess it's possible. There is no sign that it's been opened up or anything as far as I can see. I really need to have a better look at it when I get home.

- EDIT -

It seems to be getting better! My gf had been playing with it while I was at work and the spots on the screen she had been using most feel fine now. It's almost as if the screen needed to settle in a bit. Very strange. It's still feels a little funny round the edges but I'm sure they'll be fine soon.

Thanks for all the help anyway guys.

aeSentinel

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
forums.ds-xtreme.com
XP
Country
I'm thinking it might be a cheap replacement touch screen too. They're available at a lot of chip shops, and you can never really tell what you're buying on eBay. I'd throw on a screen protector because if it really is a replacement screen, it may be inferior, and therefore more susceptible to scratches.

Stainy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess it's possible. There is no sign that it's been opened up or anything as far as I can see. I really need to have a better look at it when I get home.

- EDIT -

It seems to be getting better! My gf had been playing with it while I was at work and the spots on the screen she had been using most feel fine now. It's almost as if the screen needed to settle in a bit. Very strange. It's still feels a little funny round the edges but I'm sure they'll be fine soon.

Thanks for all the help anyway guys.

Sounds to me like it`s got a screen protector on.. mine feels different now I have one on!

MajinBuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I dunno where you bought your TFT screens.. but I bought mine on dealxtreme .. and it's EXACTLY like the original.....

TheEak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried cleaning the screen? It's silly i know but mine feels like that sometimes, just breathe on it and whipe it off.

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hm, yeah cleaning doesn't sound too bad. Sometimes you can even feel your fingerprints with the stylus
biggrin.gif
Still it's mostly the scratches I'm feeling, should get a protector already.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't worry about it, I've had 4 DS Lites since they have came out, and all of them have had this 'problem' (I don't consider it a real problem). Just keep using it and it will get better, and you have said it's already starting to get better already

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"