Hacking Got 1.44 fire card, how can I update?

Hermessz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Hey all, decided to prevent issues in the future, and update the ds fire card.
The question is, how?
This is my second Fire card, the last one got a weird issue. I updated the firmware with a source from the DS Fire card main site, then when I pressed menu at start, it showed a white screen. then I put the xmenu that was with the ds fire card main site's package, then the DS didn't even READ the flashcart, it was dead and unable to transfer files to it. Sence then, I fear from updating.
I want help, I gotta update it, tons of games won't work with my flashcart, like FFCC I want to play so much.
Please help
frown.gif

BTW - what happenes if xmenu is deleted? If that happenes, can I still transfer files to the fire card?

beepboop

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it shows a white screen and says Xmenu.dat required you will need to update it, if it didnt show that and showed Udisk needed you will need to download it. You will also need to upgrade it to play new games. (which i dont know where to update or how to download). You can still download games on it if xmenu is deleted but you wont get access into the games menu.
(Hoped it help
rolleyes.gif
)
lecture.gif

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
XMenu is only needed for the Game-List-Menu.
The firmware are 2 things: UDisk and XMenu, UDisk turns your Fire Card to a USB-Drive and XMenu lists and loads Games. AFAIK UDisk doesnt depends on the xmenu.
The "USB Mode" , "Menu" screen is showed even if xmenu is deleted.
----

Latest firmware: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=825

FAQ said:
Don't install a firmware that's older than the one on your card !!! Im not sure, but Iv heard that it can cause to damage your card (Only White-screens on boot)

Here one guide how to update (Found on the Download Database, just edited it here and there )

Important: During this upgrade you need to format N-Card, please backup your games and saves first!

1.Insert the Writer into slot 2 and insert N-Card into slot 1.
2.Use USB cable connect to PC USB port directly. (Please do not use extension USB cable)
3.Hold "up+L+R+A+B" while starting your DS, now you should enter upgrade mode(a red colored text should appear).
(4. Extract the Firmware Archive.... It's more safe if you have it in a directory than trough a packer program)
5.Double click "NAND_ALL.bat" to run upgrade program. Please ignore if there some "found a badblock" appear when upgrade some 8G dslinker.
6.When it finished you will have to Quick Format your N-Card by holding DOWN+A+B+L+R when starting your DS.
7.After formating you have to copy "xmenu.dat" to the root (main directory, i.e. N:/ ) , If the xmenu.dat isn't on the card you won't be able to enter the Menu.
8.After the first time enter "GAME MODE", DSYSTEM folder will be set up. This folder you must not delete, or you will get an error when starting.

Now your N-Card/Clone should be updated ;D

If there's something not clear, just ask =|

----
QUOTE said:
If it shows a white screen and says Xmenu.dat required you will need to update it,
If that error appears you just have to copy the xmenu.dat to the card =|
Udisk needed
Haeh ? Never heard of that error, if there is a error like that, if would mean that the Card isn't usable/fixable anymore

Hermessz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
QUOTE said:
(4. Extract the Firmware Archive.... It's more safe if you have it in a directory than trough a packer program)
5.Double click "NAND_ALL.bat" to run upgrade program. Please ignore if there some "found a badblock" appear when upgrade some 8G dslinker.
Where do I double click that file? through the DS? or through the PC? any chance for photoes?
And the most important thing, Where is the latest update? and I mean the LATEST.
BTW, leinad, thx, you really helped, I'm gonna try doin' it today, inform you what can happened.
But...
Can someone tell me the risks? I mean, what's the worst thing can happen?

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Latest firmware: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=825
If you got that workin, there is another xmenu update, but thats only a xmenu.dat which have to be copied to the card which only works with that update. So first, get that working.

Double Click: Its in the Firmware archive, you will have to start it through your PC.

Risks: Hm, the worst would be that something interrupts the updatin (closing the CMD/Firewall/Antivirus whatever) so if you want to be 99% save (100% impossible imo, there can happen something everytime ._.' ) turn of your Firewall/Antivirus before executing the NAND_ALL.bat. And make sure that the cable is connected in a way it can't fall off x)

Iv already updated my NCard for about ~5 Times, 1time there had been a error after finishing but a second format solved it =)

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Boolbla said:
How can I format my N-CARD from files? I mean, just to make it cleaner?

hm, I don't understand what you mean with "format my N-CARD from files"
You can format it anytime you want, you "just" (Hell, copying 2GB of data from that card takes endless
sleep.gif
) have to backup the data
+ backup the xmenu.dat [ and the DSystem folder ( afaik the DSystem folder will be created by the menu itself in the latest firmwares, but imo it's better to backup some more bits than have problems after that), ]

btw: don't format it trough your PC ! The card will get problems / slowdowns / damaged. Format it with DOWN+A+B+L+R hold on booting the N-Card

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I have the latest firmware but my xmenu is 2.53. Silly question but to upgrade to 2.54 is it simply a case of copying over the newer .dat file to overwrite the existing one?

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ocdetective said:
I have the latest firmware but my xmenu is 2.53. Silly question but to upgrade to 2.54 is it simply a case of copying over the newer .dat file to overwrite the existing one?

Yes, afaik thats the way Ive done it... Im not 100% sure because in the description of the 2.54 xmenu there are some guides.
But just replace the old xmenu.dat with the newer one, if it won't load its no problem to get the older one back to the card~

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead