Google’s Really Trying to Kill The URL Bar

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Chrome%20URL.jpg

There was talk a few months back of a compact mode in Chrome that would turn the URL bar into a contextual element. Now it's seeping into early builds of Chrome 13. Here's how it works:

Instead of showing a URL bar permanently, the user will have to double-click a tab to see a shortened version of the URL that is displayed with a hover effect, if you move the mouse pointer away from the field, the URL bar disappears. The feature has to be enabled via a flag in a recent Canary or nightly build version of Chrome 13. To activate teh hidden URL bar, users will also have to right-click a tab and select "Hide the toolbar"Besides killing the URL bar, the new feature also moves the tools menu, hides any extension and introduces new back/forward buttons.[/p]

Source

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry Google, but I like the idea of going directly to a site via a URL bar, instead of using your services.

Will be sticking to Firefox.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Completely against it, the URL bar should always be on view so the user can develop a sense of "location", this is ESPECIALLY important for the prevention of phishing websites that may spoof URLs.

Imagine if you were accidentally directed to a fake banking site, but couldn't see the URL immediately, it'd be a disaster!

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
i'm not totally against this against this idea. i'll try it out first, but i do think the url bar should stay.

Eckin

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
unnecessary, just press f11 ffs.

also, the phishing argument. (not just about banks, but everything you log into)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...because those 15 pixels of screen space REALLY MATTER when you're browsing.

...Google-Morons. If I didn't want a bar displayed, I'd turn it off. I have the option right there, in the View context menu. Oh wait. I don't, because there is no context menu. Permanent Fullscreen, lol.

Instead of making the browser intuitive and easy/quick to use, they're doing their best to slow down the user's actions.

Forget Chrome. Get Firefox.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:

...Google-Morons. If I didn't want a bar displayed, I'd turn it off. I have the option right there, in the View context menu. Oh wait. I don't, because there is no context menu. Permanent Fullscreen, lol.

Instead of making the browser intuitive and easy/quick to use, they're doing their best to slow down the user's actions.

the pixels you gain really do make a difference, it's why i always have my dock on the left

and it's an optional thing to opt-in to, and once it becomes default you'll probably be able to opt-out of it

and how exactly does this slow down the user? the only time i ever really use the address bar is when i open a new tab

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Terminator02 said:
Foxi4 said:

the pixels you gain really do make a difference, it's why i always have my dock on the left

and it's an optional thing to opt-in to, and once it becomes default you'll probably be able to opt-out of it

and how exactly does this slow down the user? the only time i ever really use the address bar is when i open a new tab

I didn't mean just the adress bar, I meant "bars" in general. I personally feel uncomfortable when I don't have a standard context menu with options like File through Tools. Whenever I want to "change" something in the way my browser looks or behaves, whenever I want to find something within the web page, whenever I want to look up the source, I'm always a click away. I don't need a mile-long set of keyboard shortcuts to memorize, I don't have a large right-click menu - I have everything I need and use on the plate and I can customize this view however I want.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Completely against it, the URL bar should always be on view so the user can develop a sense of "location", this is ESPECIALLY important for the prevention of phishing websites that may spoof URLs.

Imagine if you were accidentally directed to a fake banking site, but couldn't see the URL immediately, it'd be a disaster!

I think it would be fine IF the URL was displayed for a short period of time after the page loaded before disappearing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"