Google will hold a Stadia Connect livestream on August 19th, plans to show off "brand-new titles"

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 6, 2019.

1. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Streaming games ? Nah. I will pass but if it is a jailbreak and pirate streaming games then I will get it. :grog:

guily6669 likes this.
  2. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    well it normally was a thing in Belgium in 2016 but glad we didn't sell out right yet like Spain did to Huawei being well Chinese. Means most goverments do care more for the health of their citizens than pocket money from China thanks to lobbyists infriltating your goverment

Last edited by kumikochan, Aug 6, 2019
  3. MasterZoilus

MasterZoilus GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2014
    United States
    you're right wireless tech will NOT be as fast and reliable as copper and fiber, but it won't have to be as the day will come where BOTH methods wired and wireless will be soooo laughably outdated...

take a look into quantum teleportation/entanglement. The fact that quantum pc's are already being worked on (and the first quantum network is in the works already) and that China has already succeeded into beaming entangled photons to a satellite ... all these things are the seeds leading to the day where people will have quantum devices with data that will "transfer" from one to the other instantly through space and time with NO wires, no routers, no satellites and no hardware except for the device we are using. For those who are on the younger side: you MAY see it in your lifetime, as the jump from the ENIAC to the first iPhone1 took 62yrs and all this quantum stuff is pretty much at the exact same stage as that BIG pc was in 1945.

People will look back at all these comments referring to "speed" issues and just laugh.

Last edited by MasterZoilus, Aug 6, 2019
  4. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Not at all mate, not at all. Be more carefull before you atack other countries for its decisions in stuff like this. You only give people reasons to be mad at you. An it's a friendly advice, since I know we have similar games we like.

5. MorningBlunt

MorningBlunt Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2017
    No need to be a dick. Was just pointing out that usually it's the ping that causes issues. I know speed is a thing, but doesn't paint the whole picture.
    But if it made you feel good, then great I guess.

6. MasterZoilus

MasterZoilus GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2014
    United States
    streaming will END piracy and END the used game market, 2 things that combined have cost companies hundreds of billions (at least maybe even more) since the days of 2600, which is why you MAY pass now, but you won't when it becomes the standard. Like it or not, whether stadia fails or not is all irrelevant. The stadia model will be the standard because there's WAY to many benefits (and money) in it for the game studios and the console manufacturers, including ending consoles and having their service instantly available to hundreds of millions of people if not billions. Of course we're talking about 10 to 15yrs or so from now, but it will be standard guaranteed! Just the mere fact that after about 25 years Sony has finally agreed to team up with Microsoft, alone shows how serious this stadia thing is, both in terms of competition and also as the evolution of video gaming.

Last edited by MasterZoilus, Aug 6, 2019
  7. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Well personally not a big fan of spain with the dog hangings, throwing goats of church towers, cruelty against the galgo dog, sewing the mouths of horses and making them blind so that when bulls ram them people can't hear their screams and so forth. Wasn't meant towards you in a bad manner but when i hear Spain i usually get worked up. Just not a fan of the whole country in general hence me being completely biased wich i know i am so don't take it as an attack towards you. Just the country in general gets me worked up

Last edited by kumikochan, Aug 6, 2019
  8. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Perhaps.. Perhaps not.. Anything is hackable. Some got quicker and some get longer.. maybe much much longer.

9. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Christ, are you telling me there are going to be games exclusive to streaming now? Hopefully only timed, though I doubt they'll be anything special.

Glyptofane likes this.
  10. Bowl0l

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    Incoming exclusive games for a streaming service handled by a company leading in terminating their own service? Might as well pretend the game don't exist.

felix.200 and Xzi like this.
  11. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    I hope you look into this more. This statement breaks laws of physics we know and hold dear. It has been theoretically explored and deemed impossible.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem

FTL travel will be impossible until we can make wormholes. Which is theoretically possible. Quantum computing does not do this. Quantum computing is not a replacement for classical computing, and only helps increase speed on problems that are classically hard to complete.

https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/The_Limits_of_Quantum_Computers.pdf

12. titan_tim

titan_tim Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2009
    Totally looking forward to a company doing this which actually has the power to make this good. Google and MS are the only ones which come to mind.

I've been considering upgrading to a new PC with a 2070 Super, and it'll cost around $1,500. I can use Stadia for over 12 years for that price and get 4k streaming. Or just put that $1,500 completely towards games and play them at 1080p.

Only problem is, I'm in Japan, and it hasn't even been announced here yet, even though it has some of the fastest internet speeds in the world.....

13. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2007
    Canada
    Pretty sure Stadia will (or already has) flop.

Here are few reasons:
    1. You pay for games at the similar price as you would for other platforms
    2. Since you are streaming the games, you don't own it. They didn't really address what happens when the service is no longer available. Not to mention, you can't play "your" games if the service goes down
    3. Google (or to be specific, they killed off a lot of projects)
    I can list a couple more reasons, but overall, I can see more cons than pros.

Silent_Gunner and Bowl0l like this.
  14. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    No wireless is gonna be as good as wired. Id like to see how well it performs during a massive thunder storm.... and id like to see it works ingthrough steel enforced concrete walls.....

15. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Here's what I'll say:

I had a Steam Link lying around. I was organizing the many micro-USB and USB-C cables I had via paper towel holders as opposed to having it be a jumbled mess of insanity that ate up all of the space in one drawer as I was trying to clean things out, dispose of anything I had no plans to use in the near future, and then I came upon a Steam Link I bought along with Hollow Knight on Steam when Valve was giving these things away for the expensive price of $1. I thought, you know what? Why not at least give this son of a bitch a try?

After struggling with some XB1 controllers I don't plan to be keeping around for much longer (money is tight when you have bills and are working a job that doesn't exactly pay a whole lot when you're buying a lot of expensive items you've been wanting to buy for a while, moral of the story: don't go to college unless if you have shitloads of money saved up and your parents aren't so conservative and out of touch that they consider hair going slightly above the ears looking like a hippie like it's still the 60's), I pulled out a Steam Controller I had, synced things up with my PC three walls apart from the living room that my parents weren't using, and decided to try Ultra Street Fighter 4. To my surprise, I could throw out Hadoukens, Shoryukens, and Tatsumaki Senpuukyakus, AKA Hurricane Kicks with limited issues. There was some lag, but it's not like I plan on fighting Maximillian Dood or anything, so I decided to try out RetroArch and play a little bit of Megaman X. Again, no problem, save for some lag here and there. I'm able to play a game that doesn't exactly forgive you for mistakes made (in a series I haven't played much of, I know, I deserve to be tarred and feathered) with only a couple moments of lag here and there. Also, it was the MSU-1 version, which is the version you should play, because it makes the OST sound like something from Daisuke. (OK, I'm exaggerating, but that Guilty Gear trailer was HYPE!)

Point is, I might not mind streaming it if it's from my own computer on my own 30 MB/s network connection (mind you, this wasn't in the same room, so YMMV depending on how you plan to set it up if this is something to consider for you), but if we're talking about from a company like Google, who's trying to use this to maybe save YT or something? Good luck. I'd rather trust my own network (which is being provided by my parents paying Comcast for the moment, so who knows about when things go south). I am curious about how the streaming works on phones and the like considering what I did experience was pleasant, but that's if I ever feel like experimenting that much. I do like that I won't have to lug my HTPC around (it's in a Fractal Design Node 202, which is like trying to carry around an OG XB1 which has more of a right to be that big as opposed to that VCR), but it's not exactly making me go "STREAMING IS THE FUTURE GUYS! YOU'RE A STUCK UP NERD IF YOU DECIDE TO BUILD A $2000+ PC NOW HURR DURR!!!" It's more of an alternative that I don't find myself needing at this point in time. Though, considering I only paid $1 for it and got a game that I later got on the Switch because I do plan on getting to it one of these days, I can't complain too much. I guess you can also install RA locally on it if you really don't want to invest money into an ODroid XU4 or, from what I've heard will be a better investment once more support comes out for it, the RPi4, but if you have RA all setup and ready to go on your PC, well... :/

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Fuck a thunderstorm. Try a blizzard any poor soul stuck in the Midwest has to endure!

16. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

In the topic again, maybe they'll have an affair with some other company like they already have with Ubi? That could be neat.

17. npiet1

npiet1 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    Australia
    Yes it is. Speed is important but no where near as important as ping for input lag. Speed is how good the game will look, ping is how well the game with react with your input.

MorningBlunt likes this.
  18. DBlaze

DBlaze I don't know what i'm doing.

Nov 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    I'd rather not add latency to my gameplay, thank you.

guily6669 likes this.
  19. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    and if the license runs out you won't even be able to stream the games at all! :creep:

20. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I know a lot. I do a lot of volunteering work saving animals from spain, Romania and so forth bringing them over to foster family's so i do quite understand a lot regarding that. Regarding the company itself, they do look like a talented bunch so hopefully this turns out okay. I'm gonna try it atleast since it does look interesting

Last edited by kumikochan, Aug 7, 2019