OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
globe1.jpg

QUOTE said:
Google seems to be on its way to world domination with its latest plan.

As you may have heard by now, Google will be holding a trial for locations across the United States that will offer internet speeds more then 100 times faster then most people will have ever experienced.

Google will be offering an internet speed of 1 gigabit per second at a competitive price to select communities in the U.S.
The trial will have at least 50,000 to potentially 500,000 people taking part in it.

Google has also said that it will make its fiber network open so customers will have a choice of service providers.

It makes you wonder what you could do with 1 gigabit per second when today’s high speed internet is already at a speed fast enough for what most people are doing on the web.

Google is taking a big step towards the future. Digital Distribution may be closer than you think!

source:GamesOnSmash

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
128 mb a second? Think of all the games I could pirate lol. I'm stuck with my 300 kbs internet for now.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarkWay said:
dry.gif
america this america that
dry.gif
we're always left behind times

EDIT: for the record I have nothing against america
rofl2.gif
I have things against America!

Anyways I like Google.
smile.gif
Now if I could get this internet in Hawaii that would be nice. If I could get it $30 a month as well that would be nice too.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Say, wouldn't China be a better place to test this out, what with a much higher population density and less land you'd have to cover?

...Oohhhhh, yes, that, nevermind.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
This will be soooooo cool in the Philippines. Goodbye Muslims selling pirated DVDs. lol (SRSLY, Muslims are selling pirated DVDs here)

Download all your movies and games till you are force to re-download all of them again

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Luckily I doubt Google will have to do it here in Sweden. Telia has already begun expanding its fiber optics network in the bigger cities here. Now all I have to do is to wait for them to expand it 500m longer so that I can get hold of it.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Skyline969 said:
Something tells me that, if Google introduces this to a small network of people, they will monitor the shit out of it, including what you download. Just a hunch.
Of course, I mean everyone will see it as an opportunity to pirate things en masse.
But just because you'll have a gigabit connection, doesn't mean you'll get gigabit speeds. Most websites aren't ready to support such insanely high speeds!

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
Something tells me that, if Google introduces this to a small network of people, they will monitor the shit out of it, including what you download. Just a hunch.

I doubt it, Google does a shitty job in monitoring.

o0ICE0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Skyline969 said:
Of course, I mean everyone will see it as an opportunity to pirate things en masse.
But just because you'll have a gigabit connection, doesn't mean you'll get gigabit speeds. Most websites aren't ready to support such insanely high speeds!
...Then just download 50 or so things at the max speed their respective websites can provide, at the same time.
lecture.gif

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope I am one of the people that will be able to test this thing. I live in new york city. Best city of the world. So I bet the first place they will do there testing is in New York City.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jakob95 said:
I hope I am one of the people that will be able to test this thing. I live in new york city. Best city of the world. So I bet the first place they will do there testing is in New York City.

I seem to remember Google doing this to small communities and not humongous cities.

But that might just be my memory messing with me.

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd assume the wires are underground, so a big city wouldn't really make sense. It'd be a massive undertaking, at least.

I think it's cool and all, but there's really no need for speeds that fast right now.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Danny Tanner said:
I'd assume the wires are underground, so a big city wouldn't really make sense. It'd be a massive undertaking, at least.

I think it's cool and all, but there's really no need for speeds that fast right now.
Yes there would. Download Wii ISO's will be faster. And download 100 files the same time will be great!

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well if you're using a torrent, there's only so much bandwidth possible, and sites like megaupload limit your bandwidth if you don't pay. Downloading 100 files simultainiously would be pretty nice though, didn't really think of that. It'd satisfy my anime needs lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways