Google Stadia release, pricing and games announced

stadia.PNG
Does the future of gaming lie in streaming? Google surely thinks so and is betting heavily on it. As scheduled, the company provided details about its platform ahead of E3 during its first Stadia Connect streamed today.

The D Day is sometime in November of this year, when $129 will get you a Stadia Founder's Edition that comes bundled with an exclusive Night Blue Stadia Controller, a Google Chromecast Ultra for streaming to your TV, Destiny 2: The Collection, an exclusive Founder’s Stadia Name, and three months of Stadia Pro without charge for yourself, and three months of Stadia Pro to give away to a friend. With this bundle you can play across laptops, desktops, Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a2 with cross-screen early access from day one.

founder ed.PNG
Note that the Founder Edition bundle is the only way to access Stadia this year. Other subscription services will open up in 2020. Stadia Pro, which is what you get with the Founder's Edition, is priced at $9.99 per month, allows you to play games up to 4K resolution at 60 frames per second with HDR and 5.1 surround sound. The free Stadia Base service which launches next year allows you to buy and keep games capped at 1080p and 60 frames per second with stereo sound but does not allow you to access games for free nor get special discounts which Pro subscribers can enjoy. The controler alone costs $69.

deails.PNG
Regarding connectivity requirements, Google claims that "Stadia works across various connections from 35 Mbps down to a recommended minimum of 10 Mbps" and the platform with match resolution from 4K to 720p according to your network’s speed. Here's a nice infographic for that:

speed test.PNG
As for games, Google announced the following today, with more to come in the future:
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2,​
  • Doom Eternal, Doom (2016)
  • Rage 2, The Elder Scrolls Online
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  • Destiny 2
  • Get Packed
  • Grid
  • Metro Exodus
  • Thumper
  • Farming Simulator 19
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
  • Football Manager
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • NBA 2K
  • Borderlands 3
  • Gylt
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Darksiders Genesis
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • Just Dance
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint
  • Tom Clancy's The Division 2
  • Trials Rising
  • The Crew 2
At launch the Stadia platform will be available in the following 14 countries: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland.

The service will be accessible via a Chromecast Ultra, a regular Chrome browser on any computer, or a Pixel 3/3a smartphone, with support for more smartphones planned in the future.

What do you think of the Stadia after the announcement? Will you be subscribing for a Founder's Edition or you will wait and see how it fares?

:arrow: SOURCE

Ryan Warren

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question is can I transfer games owned already on steam to this for the free version. Also why would I pay for a subscription when I don't even have a 4k tv in my house. Unless they make it like Netflix with a plethora of games for the subscription it's absolutely pointless to purchase. Starlink from Elon Musk will start to operate around the same time this comes out and will alleviate most speed problems some are complaining about on here, but I'm still against this unless I get a game library for the price of subscription.

KoalaityTV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine if the platform completely shut down Google would most likely refund purchases.

Google seems to be in it for the long haul. I think they plan to push this idea until it works.
I (and likely many others), would really hate to see the gaming market migrate to the cloud. So I personally kind of hope it doesn't work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Question is can I transfer games owned already on steam to this for the free version. Also why would I pay for a subscription when I don't even have a 4k tv in my house. Unless they make it like Netflix with a plethora of games for the subscription it's absolutely pointless to purchase. Starlink from Elon Musk will start to operate around the same time this comes out and will alleviate most speed problems some are complaining about on here, but I'm still against this unless I get a game library for the price of subscription.
If you think they are going to do that you are more than likely wrong.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Misleading information from Google spreading like wildfire. The only "free" game available at launch is going to be Destiny 2. The others will have to purchased separately, in addition to the subscription price. Per the official Stadia site.

Lol, Google, yeah, good luck with that. Streaming games, games you can't even keep, screw that.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I (and likely many others), would really hate to see the gaming market migrate to the cloud. So I personally kind of hope it doesn't work.
Eh, I think streaming is here to stay - and will become more popular

However similar to streaming movies and TV, I don't think it's going to kill other distribution models any time soon

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lol, Google, yeah, good luck with that. Streaming games, games you can't even keep, screw that.
loads of gamers out ther who couldnt giv a cows arse about keeping games - shit I've saved so much money from renting games as I finish 2 or 3 a month and just pay 14 quid a month and ther new games- instead of paying 80 to 120 quid a month of buying them

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Eh, I think streaming is here to stay - and will become more popular

However similar to streaming movies and TV, I don't think it's going to kill other distribution models any time soon
I cant see it in this current form, everything successful does the processing on the users end and this does not. I usually like to look at what pirates are doing as the future, I dont see any pirates streaming games but they do certainly stream videos and music (and have been for a long time).

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
watch the youtube vids show how bad stadia is problem is google owns youtube so they can slyly issue censorship by means of copyright strikes (then again is google really that stupid?)

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as most people will disagree, I really don't like much above 60-80fps. It makes everything look/feel (imo) the same as the "soap opera effect" when people turn on the stupid motion enhancement feature on their television when watching movies/tv. But I do completely understand your point regardless.
I feel as if around 90 is the point where it's optimal, but tbh I can't see much if any difference past that

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I want to play my games offline and whenever I want. My internet connection should not be a significant factor for this. (1P offline games are meant)

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I want to play my games offline and whenever I want. My internet connection should not be a significant factor for this. (1P offline games are meant)
Dont bother posting in a streaming online thread then

YoungGrumpyMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Would have been interested in trying out Baldur's Gate III for sure on Stadia, at least, since I don't have any interest at the moment in building a PC or even upgrading my old laptop. However, Stadia isn't releasing in my country in 2019, so whatever, Google. By 2020, maybe xCloud will already be out, and next-gen alongside it.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

YoungGrumpyMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't really know if this Pro version have all free games or only select of free games?
Pro subscription will include a small selection of free games. So far the only game we know about is Destiny 2. Other games you'll have to pay.

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
I was skeptical at first but now that I know they're gonna have the rare underground indie classic "J ust Dance" I'm all set. Hell, I'd pay $60 a month and still pay $60 for just that game.

YoungGrumpyMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People are confused. I think you can choose to buy the games and play them from the cloud for free. Or you can choose to pay a monthly fee and play as many as you want. However while you have the monthly service, you can buy the games at a slight discount. Than if you ever cancel the sub, you can still play the game you bought. This is exactly how xbox’s Game pass works. Only difference at this time is, Xbox you download the full game and with google you don’t!
This is not true!

The Pro subscription doesn't include the whole library, only specific free games, the first one announced being Destiny 2. What the subscription gives you is the ability to stream at 4K, 60fps, 5.1 surround sound, but you still need to buy the games. Without the subscription, you can buy the games and stream them for free at 1080p, 60fps.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Now that's a real competitor for you Sony.
I don't care about google but I remember how PS1 and PS2 eliminated without mercy Sega Saturn and Dreamcast.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I can only see this work with big series. Indie is too small it easier to download it to your computer than streaming it.

But big game is usually action packed and just a tiny bit of delay would kill you, imagine if someone accidentally kicked the wifi and make the cable loose or you mom unplug it stop you from continue playing would be suck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night