Google Stadia release, pricing and games announced

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Jun 6, 2019.

1. DbGt

DbGt GBAtemp Fan

Jul 28, 2004
    Mexico
    There are GPUs in all ranges, you went to the most expensive ones. I was talking about the free stadia option, 1080p/60fps, you can do that with a $200 gpu and if you pirate then you dont have to spend money on games..... after buying 3 games in stadia you already spent the $200 dollars and you still dont have any gpu.

Either way, if stadia turns out to be a good / cheap option, im prepared:

[​IMG]

We will see
    [​IMG]

Last edited by DbGt, Jun 7, 2019
  2. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    not to mention 60 fps 1080p streaming from stadia doesnt hold up to 1080p 60 processed locally in any way shape or form.

DbGt likes this.
  3. murdersbane

murdersbane Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    United States
    Game streaming works fine if you have good net... Hell u can play ur whole steam library on the shield already... And that's free

4. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    LOL! This $200-$300 GPU doing 60fps at 1080p on max settings talk is amusing. Using just 2 examples with a $200 card (RX 580). AC: Odyssey as low as 15fps with an average of 40. Metro: Exodus - as low as 12fps with an average of 36. Sure some games can do it, but yeah. So what the people with the $200-$300 GPU arguments are saying is.... Stadia free will have dips down to 12fps or less with the free option.

Stop with the cheap GPU nonsense talk. It's a complete waste of $$$ to even buy one. All you're doing is having to buy another $200-$300 card every year or two just to BARELY keep up.

5. RPG_FAN128

RPG_FAN128 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2018
    United States
    Now SpaceX needs to get their rear in gear and complete their starlink satellite constellation offering high-speed internet globally.

6. DbGt

DbGt GBAtemp Fan

Jul 28, 2004
    Mexico
    "max settings" lol who said that?? you just added that up . And do you really believe stadia will deliver 1080p, constant 60fps on max settings?? lol

You dont have to buy a gpu every year "just to barely keep up", in what world are you living?

Last edited by DbGt, Jun 7, 2019
  7. AceX

AceX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Will Borderlands 3 have local co-op; would I just buy two Stadia controllers?

8. hamohamo

hamohamo GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    No the main point for those games is just having fun without having to play with other people

9. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    What's the point of buying a game to play on Stadia if it's not going to run at max settings? May as well just buy a console version then, or the Steam version. And what world am I living in? The real one. Enjoy your frame drops into the 10's with your cheap GPU. When they can't even hit a stable 60fps now, how are they going to in a year or two? But whatever makes you feel better about your purchase. Glad you're happy with it.

10. kevin corms

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Ive used it on a gigabit connection and ethernet, its still pretty awful. Monster hunter world was unplayable.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It might run at max settings, but the stream is so highly compressed it looks like a ps3 game anyway.

Last edited by kevin corms, Jun 7, 2019
  11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Unless you need 4K, then no, you don't need a high end GPU

12. chrisman02

chrisman02 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2015
    United States
    Networks fluctuate. Especially depending on location and ISP. Some days I get 300mbps down, others I get 30. And this is common regardless of if you're rural or in a city.

The Stadia is going to be DOA. I'm amazed Google is still going through with it. Think of all the money they'll lose on this project. All the money they already lost on Youtube, G+, etc, etc.

If Google's search engine wasn't a virtual monopoly, and if their Android projects weren't so popular (wonder how much they make off licensing deals?) they would have bankrupted by now. Luckily they have money to throw around, invest in random projects, and see what sticks no matter the costs. I suppose that's a good thing since it drives research and development.

13. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Wow, $130 for a device where I get to pay for games that I stream over a network and not even get to download or keep in any way? What could possibly be wrong with that? It sounds absolutely infallible and future proof to me!

Oh wait, it's going to be DOA, Google and cloud gaming is an abortive idea.

wiewiec, DbGt and chrisman02 like this.
  14. kevin corms

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Its more than just that, they are using their information monopoly in all kinds of awful ways to influence people. More and more people are starting to notice just how god awful a company they are. They seriously need to be split up before they cause even more damage.

chrisman02 likes this.
  15. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I think you mean YOU don't need a high end GPU. I already gave two very clear examples of why a cheaper GPU is a waste of $$$ and there are plenty more. There is zero point in gaming on a PC when AAA games are dipping into the 10-15fps range and lower on 1080p, imo. I'll say it one last time. It will be even worse in two years time when more demanding games are available. Before the "don't need to run at highest settings in 1080p" argument comes in... again... then what's even the point of gaming on a PC?

16. chrisman02

chrisman02 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2015
    United States
    I absolutely hate the "games as a service" model. I was recently burned by it. A game called Worlds Adrift that was in Early Access recently decided it will shut down in July, and they will not be making the servers open source or have any way for users to play offline.

So I dropped $65 for a special founder's pack because I loved the game so much, then instead of continuing development, they're taking the money and disappearing :hateit:

Oh my god, yes. Don't get me started, not sure how politically incorrect I can get without getting banned :grog:

Last edited by chrisman02, Jun 7, 2019
    the_randomizer likes this.
  17. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Just because Google (or any company that gets this way) is big, doesn't mean they're good in any way or the best out there.

This is why cloud gaming or anything like it should just burn in a dumpster fire.

That's not my problem. If you want games with compression artifacts/MPEG farts and look like a PS3 game with lots of input lag, that's your thing, not mine. I don't give two shits about Google or their garbage Stradia.

You want a new GPU and think their too expensive, I offer suggestions and you think it won't help you, wow, way to piss on my head and call it rain, gee thank you bloody much. I don't give a rat's ass, either you do something about it or get a real GPU, and get real games that don't rely on cloud/streaming BS and get the hell over it already. Cry me a fucking river.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Jun 7, 2019
    chrisman02 likes this.
  18. kevin corms

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    you havent made a single point at all actually, its all fallacy arguments.

titan_tim and chrisman02 like this.
  19. murdersbane

murdersbane Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    United States
    It will not be doa... And it even says it works great on 30...

And if u wire ur connection and have a good router/modem then it will work great.

I have the mid class package from Xfinity and I NEVER drop below 150 at ANY point cept when they are working on the internet.... Or some moron runs into the damn pole <.< (Lotta moronic drivers where I live)

Most people that complain about network dropping tend to use the router/modem that they get from their isp... Then they buy the highest package their isp sells not realizing that they don't even get enough out of the lowest package from that shit router/modem.

20. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    The number of people sucking up to Google and cloud gaming is astounding, people sure like to place faith in a garbage concept that will only serve to piss off people. Sad.

chrisman02 likes this.