Google Stadia launches today to mixed reception over input lag

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 19, 2019.

1. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    CAN'T WAIT to try Stadia with 5G connection!

2. BeastMode6

BeastMode6 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2015
    United States
    I'm honestly baffled as to how a company that makes $136.8 billion in revenue every year produced and released such a short sighted product.

I mean, its not even just that the execution that is bad, its also the whole idea itself is terrible. They should've looked at existing solutions and seen that "ok, the internet infrastructure is clearly not there".

I mean this is the same company that runs YouTube, which it seems makes a terrible decision every other week, so I don't know why I'm so surprised.

THYPLEX and Ryccardo like this.
  3. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Mayb Google stadia would enjoy better success if turn ther logo upside down as looks more smiley:D

4. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

pip Developer
    Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Ya'll just mad because The Cloud will eventually succeed and overtake dedicated machines, making piracy impossible. :D

The future is coming, and it will be streamed!

5. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    50 ms lag like DF measured really is fine for quite a large audience. The issue is that many people don't have that kind of internet, and even fewer know if they have it or not. John Linnman wasn't even using his home internet because it wouldn't work at all.

Google has to offer some kind of completely free game or free trial. Let people see for themselves if their internet delivers a tolerable experience or not. Because otherwise its a total crapshoot whether stuff you are buying will be usable or not.

6. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Streaming will just be an option-if anything the future will be digital but yeh some will dislike just because of no mor freebies

7. evertonstz

evertonstz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2019
    Brazil
    The only streaming service available in my country is steam's local one, Nvidia is not available. Not sure about India tho. Again, talking about my country, there are no Shield TVs in the market and you can't import it because Big Cable lobbied the government for a ban on streaming boxes importation. Even if you could there's a 60% importation fee, so it would be way less expensive to buy a console. Anyways, São Paulo has 20% of the Brazilian population, so it's way more than a band-aid. The wealth gap between São Paulo and the rest of the country is so big that in order to "game" some places you literally have to first give them electricity first. So streaming or local, you for sure won't be gaming the north side of the country.

Last edited by evertonstz, Nov 19, 2019
    Xzi likes this.
  8. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Wait, so wouldn't Stadia be included in that? Or was Google one of the big cable providers which lobbied for the ban? Either way they seem like part of the problem more than part of the solution.

9. evertonstz

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2019
    Brazil
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but in theory you can use Stadia with just a bt controller and a chrome browser/android phone, I think the same goes for XCloud. I mean, on release. The beta isn't even available here. The ban is on hardware importing, not internet services.

EDIT: just for clarification, they lobbied the ban because the Cable providers were losing too many customers to pirate IPTV and Netflix, that's why they're also lobbing for datacaps, but that's too unpopular and probably wont happen.

Xzi likes this.
  10. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    No, you're right, but I imagine having to use your phone for a display instead of easy access through your TV or monitor would be pretty frustrating. With all these restrictions it sounds like the Brazilian government is just as anti-gaming as the Australian government, if not more so. Or perhaps that's simply a byproduct of a few large corporations controlling the government.

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    You're shit out of luck, it's nothing more than a waste of money. If I'm going to spend $60 on a game, I expect to keep it in some form. Anyone who invests money in this trash deserves to be ripped off in the future. Also thank you ISP's for your stupid caps.

And boy will it suck ass!

THYPLEX and Xzi like this.
  12. evertonstz

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2019
    Brazil
    Oh, yeah, but they'll also support chrome so the screen is not a big problem. Also people are already fine playing in phones, PUBG Mobile for example is giant both here in and in India because it's very accessible. Don't know about Australia, but what I can say about Brazil is that I wish they were only anti-gaming, they're anti everything, everything is so expensive, so expensive, even middle class people live payday by payday ( is that the correct term when people have to expend 100% of their income just live, right?) it's basically impossible to save money in Brazil. All boils down to taxes, the public machine is just too big, too many shit to run, too many unnecessary public workers to pay, Brazil basically Greece, but dumber and without history.

THYPLEX and Xzi like this.
  13. Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Fk cloud gaming.!!!!!! Never ever ever ever gonna touch that shit. I'd be playing PSP and shit if we stop making them games come out for physical and download etc.. and we live in some weird ass shit VR/cloud reality.

14. almmiron

almmiron GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2012
    Brazil
    Stadia is a service that stream PC games trough internet. The games still are made for pc and Google can release it on steam or epic if they want without major problems.

The service is like game pass or origin access: stop paying and the game will not be disposable to you. If stop STOP for real, so google do whatever they want.

My opinion. Google stadia format is somewhat a kind of virtual boy: It will fail. But is probable the future, only not yet...

15. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Barely paying attention to this, but it seems like it isn't even on par with other cloud gaming services.

Xzi likes this.
  16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    In joining the chorus of "did anybody not tell you so" I think I will drop the Grace Hopper smackdown here

I reckon it could be done if they did exchange (or big cabinet) situated machines, like some of the video streaming types were doing to avoid backbone fees. However setting up server farms in big cities (farm boys be shit out of a luck here) is expensive, even more so if they are gaming grade as opposed to simple file sharing, which means they either get to eat the cost or hope there are enough paying subscribers to make it work.

a) I would have no problem with downloadable games if they allowed people to redistribute them as they would. Fortunately the law is catching up here.
    b) once storage was cracked (or stopped being artificially hobbled as the case may be) there were no real downsides (possibly even some upsides) to downloadable games beyond a). This is not the case here.
    c) as others have mentioned (as does the video from the start) there is a limit to how far in perfect conditions something can travel (the speed of light you know, and that's the fastest speed there is). This means there is an inherent latency to it all, and latency to anything real time is usually pretty killer and turn based gets kind of boring.

Ryccardo likes this.
  17. jesus96

jesus96 Pinkboi

Sep 2, 2015
    Mexico
    "it works for me" -Google

18. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    Message me when someone manages to rip that stadia "exclusive" and it makes the news, mh

19. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Nah, Stadia is shit. If I wanted to get a game streaming service, I'd get it from Microsoft. Microsoft actually knows what they're doing with gaming and online, at least they do when compared to Google, lol. Microsoft is actually offering a Netflix type service with streaming, unlike Stadia.

Can anyone name a single reason why someone should choose Stadia over X Cloud, if they wanted game streaming? lol Gender neutral controllers isn't a reason either! :P

Last edited by Viri, Nov 19, 2019
    Ryccardo and zoogie like this.
  20. evertonstz

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2019
    Brazil
    Stadia runs under Linux, so yeah, they're all PC games ported to Linux. But I think expecting them to releasing the game files is a pipe dream, they're basically solving their piracy problem and AAA publishers are known to be ruthless when it comes to killing games, the only preservation they care is preservation of profits. Some gonna happen with the "gaming as a service" we have now, if Epic decides to shutdown Fortnite, there's no Fortnite anymore, sure you own the game files but you can't play it just like DarkSpore. Gaming ownership is on its way out.