Google Stadia launches today to mixed reception over input lag

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 19, 2019.

1. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Hilariously they have been killing Google Fiber, I do not know if it still exists somewhere.

THYPLEX and Orangy57 like this.
  2. 1MiinMofo

1MiinMofo GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2019
    Canada
    Be honest. Stadia could be the best experience ever for gaming and you'd still hate it and find reasons to whine even though you have no experience with it whatsoever.

MSFT, Sony and Steam are all working on streaming solutions. It's the future of gaming and it's the present of music and video. There will be hiccups, but you will be assimilated.
    Or have you forgotten how much you hated Steam when it first came along?

Jokiz likes this.
  3. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    GaaS me ballix this bit right here nails the coffin for me, never mind the frigging input lag.
    " It can run the game at a super-fast framerate so it can act on player inputs earlier, or it can predict a player's button presses"
    So the damn thing can play the game for me !!!! ???? we already have that google It's called youtube. Sit back and watch some AI or Tuber play. This is dumb being saying it since they announced .

In Ireland we have a saying for people who looked fucked up . it goes :- Look at the fuckin stadia .

Last edited by DaveLister, Nov 19, 2019
    WhiteMaze likes this.
  4. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    WhiteMaze is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    We are not hating Stadia because it's new. We hate Stadia, because they promise heaven and deliver crap.

No one would be bashing Stadia if it worked like advertised.

kai_dranzer2003, raxadian and depaul like this.
  5. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 21, 2014
    France
    I think it's too early to predict how the product will perform. As with any technology innovation, cloud gaming will be a reality soon.

It's true that most hardcore gamers still prefer physical consoles... but soon there will be a new segment of players who opt for cloud gaming, like the experience we had earlier when consoles offered digital downloads as a new way of owning games.

Now about technical side, maybe Google is waiting for the technology to mature enough. And given how many, many, servers they have around the world for youtube hosting, I see why google is among the best companies that can succeed in the branch of cloud gaming.

THYPLEX likes this.
  6. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    No its an alternative to gaming

THYPLEX likes this.
  7. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Insane

Dec 31, 2016
    Sweden
    Shivering Isles
    Google Fiber still exists, but they killed off the expansion a while back :)

8. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    They're all working on streaming solutions that all deliver the same level of performance.. Believe it or not.. Google made a huge mistake with Stadia, though. In promising lower latency levels and higher quality streams. They can't deliver and are now being rightly criticized.

Last edited by Memoir, Nov 19, 2019
  9. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    You are completely clueless. I don't care how fast your internet is, latency will always be a problem with game streaming. Playing online games through game streaming will NEVER work because of latency. 2 years when 5g is a normal option for everyone, really? Lmfao that's a joke. More like 15 years. USA alone has millions of citizens that do not have access to high speed, they pay for 35mbps download and get maybe 5mbps & that most likely will not change within the next two decades. Not to mention the millions of people across the world that also have shit internet. Then you have to take into consideration the data caps, throttling etc. Stadia uses 5-20gb per hour depending on stream quality. For most people, 4k game streaming will use all of their data.

THYPLEX likes this.
  10. James_

James_ *Meowstic noises*

Oct 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Meowstic Land
    I like me some Google Fiber Bar, gives me all the healthy stuff I need.
    Fuck exercise, the Google Fiber Bar is the best way to get fit quick.
    Want ligma? The Google Fiber Bar can do that for you and more!

2012 was a fun time am I right

Last edited by James_, Nov 19, 2019
  11. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot ...The Nintendo DSi, am I right?

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Well, your games are gone for good. Google even stated that on their website.

THYPLEX likes this.
  12. supergamer368

supergamer368 this isn’t bookworm adventures deluxe

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Zanzibar Island, 5:00 PM
    Gee, Stadia sucking was totally not called by the entire internet. Knew it was gonna flop day one, can't wait for them to just get rid of it already.

13. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Even if it was completely lag-free, there are still too many downsides to game streaming as opposed to having local files. No modding, no tweaking ini files, no local save backups, no offline play when your ISP randomly craps out, etc. Just because people were willing to accept digital games doesn't mean they're ready to relinquish ALL control over games they've purchased.

KingVamp and Armadillo like this.
  14. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    I've used game streaming on other platforms just fine with no perceivable lag (Shadow). That looks horrible though. I wonder what the differences between them are

15. evertonstz

evertonstz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2019
    Brazil
    Same as happens with every "gaming as a service" product: the product ends.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I don't like this first-world view of the problem. For places like São Paulo in Brazil, or even India, were gaming hardware is extremely pricey but fiber is somewhat cheap (and datacaps are illegal) this is a perfect solution for the hardware problem and I can see people using streaming to go back to AAA games (I sure will and I sure am not paying half my monthly salary for a current gen console). Gaming is kinda dead in Brazil since the PS2 era, specially because just to buy a single game you would need pay 20% of the monthly minimum salary and to buy a current gen console or a good computer you would start from 100% up to 200% the monthly minimum salary, since piracy is kinda dead nowdays, even Nintendo exited the country due to poor sales and the taxing problem. If you sum all that pricey gaming gear with the already hih cost of life in Brazil, I could see this being used here. The problem is that outside the State of São Paulo people are using shit like 1Mpbs-10Mbps connections from coaxial cables or ADSL modems, so they're still "ungamed" no matter what.

THYPLEX likes this.
  16. 98otiss

98otiss irrelevant folfcoon

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    Metaverse
    wow what a fucking s u r p r i s e

17. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    WhiteMaze is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    I totally understand this. After all, I am from Portugal so my reality isn't that far away from yours.

Stadia would definitely be the solution to this. If it worked as advertised. The problem, is that it doesnt.

At least, not in its current state. No one wants to play games when the input lag is so bad that you wish you had a vomit bag next to you just in case it makes your stomach turn.

18. evertonstz

evertonstz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2019
    Brazil
    Sure, I'm not defending Stadia, I'm defending accessible streaming in general. If it's gonna be done by Google Cloud, Azure or AWS, that's speculation territory. For now everything is beta, things can change fast in a couple of years. If you ask me who is gonna win the streaming race I'll put my money on Azure simply because microsoft has a nice library, all they have to do is make it work and integrate it with their monthly subscription. Google has Youtube and Amazon has Twitch and AWS has state of the art infa, so there's that too...

Last edited by evertonstz, Nov 19, 2019
    WhiteMaze likes this.
  19. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Based on your last sentence it doesn't sound like streaming is necessarily a solution for the region, more just a band-aid for some portion of the population. In which case, I would think Nvidia's game streaming would already be huge there, it's been around for about five years now. Unless Shield TV and the like are just as expensive as other consoles anyway, which would suggest that the Stadia hardware will have the same problem.

Last edited by Xzi, Nov 19, 2019
  20. DKB

DKB I'll be watching you sleep tonight.

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Most of Northern America has shit internet so launching it here shouldn't have seemed like a good idea here by default.