Google Stadia has launched on iOS, but not in app form

Stadia_iOS_setup.png

Had you forgotten about Google Stadia? Here's a reminder, as the service has just launched on Apple platforms, though with a caveat. As Microsoft works on getting its game-streaming service compliant with Apple's restrictive requirements, Google has bypassed that entirely. If you're on iOS, there's no app to download in order to play Stadia games; you simply need to be on the latest firmware--14.3--and visit stadia.google.com, to which you'll instantly be able to stream games to your mobile device.

:arrow: Source

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is this dung? I got android, and don't want to install more apps in it. So, in order for me to circumvent their app enforcement, I need to get an iPhone?
What gives, boys?
I hate it that everything now has an app.
Stadia has been functioning on Android for quite a while now, in technology time...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see apple blocking this type of loading in a future update.
Even putting aside the issues with mummy and daddy Apple telling me what sites I am allowed to visit then the functionality is also what a lot of business software will use for remote control, server hosted programs no phone has a hope of running and other such functionality. That makes things a bit trickier than simply blocking flash or something.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
"Functioning" is subjective. It's on Android sure, but as a service, it can't even run perfectly on many connections lol.
I've tried it on mobile data and WiFi. No hitches. Some buffering, but you can't expect any steaming service to run perfectly on 1.5mbps internet. There's a standard to be used when talking about "functionality" in any given streaming service. May as well throw Netflix under the bus for not supporting 1080p on a crappy DSL connection.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried it on mobile data and WiFi. No hitches. Some buffering, but you can't expect any steaming service to run perfectly on 1.5mbps internet. There's a standard to be used when talking about "functionality" in any given streaming service. May as well throw Netflix under the bus for not supporting 1080p on a crappy DSL connection.

No offense to Google, but having to pay for the service, on top of paying for full price games, and games you can't even own once servers shut down, is absolute BS. Just let me pay for the service and have access to the games without paying full price and maybe I'll take it more seriously.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
No offense to Google, but having to pay for the service, on top of paying for full price games, and games you can't even own once servers shut down, is absolute BS. Just let me pay for the service and have access to the games without paying full price and maybe I'll take it more seriously.
I agree 100%. The paid service is one thing, charging full price for games you can't use outside the service is ridiculous. That's why I heavily prefer GFN over Stadia. They have a paid service, but the games you purchase are tied to your Steam/uPlay/Origin/etc accounts.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree 100%. The paid service is one thing, charging full price for games you can't use outside the service is ridiculous. That's why I heavily prefer GFN over Stadia. They have a paid service, but the games you purchase are tied to your Steam/uPlay/Origin/etc accounts.

I hope Stadia just crashes and burns until Google gets off their fat asses and makes games free with the service. I have a decent connection, paying to remove caps, but still wary of cloud gaming.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Are there still people who care about Stadia?

I thought it had been totally overshadow after Geforce Now and xCloud emerged.

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried it, and the page wanted me to install the app.
Not that I'll use it, but found it odd. Might be my telebrick...
There are tech requirements. I had to update my Safari Browser, which meant my IOS. I assume that Android has a baseline software and hardware requirement as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night