Google Stadia details to be revealed this Thursday

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Sethtimus Prime

Sethtimus Prime GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    United States
    They could probably do it. The question is, how long until they just decide to abandon it?

2. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    lol its like i wont play an xbox game because its on xbox console, i wont buy a console just to play 1 or 2 games same way i wont subscribe to a monthly service just to stream a game or 2. People skip games for enomerous reasons i just wont even fell the need to play a game i cant own imo.

3. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Another Huxleyian Dystopia
    Tesla or Stadia, which will it be.

4. Gangu

Gangu Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2019
    Canada
    cloud gaming does seem like something i'd get a lot of out, but it's gonna take a heck of a lot for me to take stadia over something like parsec, especially when parsec's been doing it earlier and (just by concept) better

5. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

Mar 16, 2004
    United States
    CA
    This all reminds me too much of Onlive back in the day which had the same promises.
    That was back when we didn't have as many data caps on ISPs too but once the caps became a thing it was a lot harder to access it without worrying about using too much bandwidth.
    Especially on phones.
    It did work well enough though for the time. (though all my purchases are gone and dead forever now)
    Generally I don't see it taking off too well without some extra incentive and a good price model.

6. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Just like how they made Google + work, right?

Tarmfot likes this.
  7. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    they will probably use a super low latency 10 gb local network. And what details to we need to know its streaming a video of a game you playing.... how exciting to never own a game you play.... cant wait to pirate this shit..

8. Zeldaplayer67

Zeldaplayer67 (Secretly a Yo-Kai)

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    The Moon
    And how are you going to do that?

Pluupy likes this.
  9. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    someone eventually is going to get the games off their server. and their hard ware is just pc hardware. Then someone will write an emulator for the stream client. It may take 10 years but it will happen. just like every console gets hacked.

10. SonicMC

SonicMC GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    Frankly, I often have had flickering; spontaneous input lag and trouble streaming from the downstairs PC to the upstairs Steam Link. Both local, PC on Wired and steam link on Wireless AC. After much configuration testing I have it working decently. nonetheless I have access to all the equipment to make necessary changes.

So streaming games over internet where the complexity is that much greater and I have little to no control over the hardware to make/much less request config changes... is not something I currently have great hopes for working well.

Perhaps google can get it to run as decently as netflix; with a price similar to netflix... but I will wait and see what is offered and let others try this one out first. No need to be hasty jumping on this when my alternatives work just fine on the go and at home: PC Steam/Humble/GOG, Switch, 3ds, Vita.

11. AlexMCS

AlexMCS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2018
    Brazil
    100ms is actually very nice for WoW though. I played with 98-120ms with pretty much no issues.
    It does become a problem in high level PvP with casting/interrupts/juking.

12. Kadji

Kadji GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2006
    Germany
    Germany, NRW
    If you are used to ~30ms of lag, as a caster class, having 100-300 ms (yeah, it was jumping that bad) is not just bad but feels near unplayable in some situations.
    But yes, 100ms in general are 'ok', but I would not do a mystic Raid with such a connection...

13. AlexMCS

AlexMCS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2018
    Brazil
    With little jitter (0-10ms), you can do any raid in the game with 100ms, on any difficulty.
    There is nothing, even in mythic, that can't be avoided/reacted/interrupted in a 2s window.
    A jitter of over 30ms is enough to make the game very annoying at 120+ ms.
    On PvP though, even 10ms jitter on a sub 70ms connection can have a huge impact.

I now wonder whether cloud gaming could work for MMOs...

14. zeveroth

zeveroth GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2009
    United States
    As interested as I am, there is no practical way to watch it while I'm at work. As usual, I'll be watching it tomorrow night instead. I'm not a cloud kinda guy but I do like to see what these tech companies can do.

15. DJOshawott

DJOshawott Newbie

Newcomer
    May 6, 2019
    United States
    This can only go so well... Not sure how well it can work, after all.

16. KoalaityTV

KoalaityTV Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2019
    United States
    I just heard about this maybe yesterday. This is a good idea for some people, but cloud gaming will never replace local gaming for the reason of convenience. It is a lot more convenient to have all of your games in front of you, and able to be played without worrying about an internet connection (the same reason people complain about DRM) or a monthly subscription (which I am certain this will entail). Plus, these services don't last forever, and once it shuts down, you won't be able to play any of your games you paid for anymore.

17. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    There will always be input lag.

AlexMCS and UltraSUPRA like this.
  18. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Born in '04, living in '96.

May 4, 2018
    United States
    If Google Stadia succeeds, will it mean people outside of Japan will get to play Resident Evil 7 on Nintendo Switch?

19. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    How does Google have anything to do with Nintendo?

20. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Born in '04, living in '96.

May 4, 2018
    United States
    I was thinking along the lines of "Google did it in America, why not give Americans the cloud version of Resident Evil 7 that Capcom already made?"