Google Play Launches

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ht_google_play_logo_jp_120306_wblog.jpg

Google Play hit the news today, framed as a total revamp of Google's media outlets. But the new name won't change the way you interact on your phone substantially. If you own an Android device, you're undoubtedly familiar with Google Music, Google Books, and possibly even Google Movies (although the movie-rental service debuted last year with a lot less fanfare than other Google properties have). Well, now with Google Play on your Android device you'll be able to access all that information as Google Play—Google Play Music, Google Play Books, and so forth. Yeah, they just added a “Play” in there.

I was wondering why Market wasn't working. Very odd, though. Thoughts? :unsure:

SOURCE

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Seems about right. Easier to get all customers in one place and possibly get better revenue. Kinda like how everything by Google (mail, docs, cal, etc) can be accessed in one screen regardless of you current location. Go Google I guess? :)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This rename stinks to be honest, it devalues the concept of apps.
Not all apps are for play, some are for utility. Additionally "play" is a vague concept. Seeing as the logo is the conventional play button associated with media players, it doesn't even associate with games found on the app store.

Change it back to the android app market. Because Android is a service of google that already has a lot of recognition, and app market is a much more aptly chosen name.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of liked the icon for the Android Market. This new one feels all Windows Seven-y and glossy. The old one doesn't suck.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate this.
Now I have to tell people "Download it in the Google Play store" instead of "market"?
Forget that. It will forever be market for me. P:

But, other than the name, I'm okay with it. It's not really different at all.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now all we have to do is wait for google to pull a nintendo and announce gender-targeted versions of the suite, with blue and pink backgrounds. Google Playboy and Playgirl, probably.

Wait....

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
All it is is a rebranding. Books and movies were already available in the market, this just makes it clearer that there are many different things available, not just apps.
Also please launch Music in the UK now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended